Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March eyes breakthough (while Garcia alters training)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interested to know what it is you have seen that makes you think this. I haven't been to any pre-season so what are the changes that you have spotted that make you optimistic?

The ball is released from the back four very quickly and not route one but through a midfield player. The strikers are laying the ball back to the midfield players and then running forward to receive a return. The wide men are going past a man and then putting in a cross. Also TK is setting play going much quicker he is not holding the ball and waiting and also his goal kicks are all long not tippy tappy. Basically the ball play is being done in the midfield rather than by the back four. I can see come October we will be steam rolling a lot of teams. It will be difficult for the opposition scouts to determine our exact method of play because we will be able to change it from possession to getting it forward very quick while still playing attractive football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And it goes without saying that your first touch puts the ball in place for the second touch.
Garth Crooks :spit: of his partnership with Steve Archibald (look it up kids) said words to the effect of:-

'We had a simple system.
One would just say to the other how many touches he had time for, before shooting.
If I ever said "2" I knew it would be a goal'.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There were signs of two touch last night. Greer particularly was often prone to receive ball, tap it forward, look up, tap it forward and pass. Last night far more two touches from him and El Abd did a brilliant two touch with a diagonal ball from left to right that was spot on for the receiving player (Solly?)

Yep, I thought the Albion had adopted the Danish style attacking quick touch style (SPECIAL TRAINING SCHEDULES) in the second half of last season when Ulloa arrived. This is probably not quite the same but when in the opposing penalty box it is meant to pay dividends.

Instinctive passes are not always best. So quick passing is only an option. Holding on to the ball or running at the opponents is better than a quick pass that is not the best one.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Talking of Solly March is there any truth in the rumour that he has three sisters.
April, May and June?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We actually agree on something and I am sure that he will get far better service from the midfield than he did last season but was still on course for 20 goals until his injury.

Agreed! ;-)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
IMHO the coaching of OG is beginning to show and I only wish he had been recruited earlier in order to be to be ready for the start of the season. I think that come the end of August/September we will be buzzing.

Agree with that and think we are very much a work in progress and can see this season being a slow burner with us improving month by month as we get used to OG expectations. Was very encouraged last night to see the defenders driving forwards with the ball to give us 2 banks of options when attacking rather than the much slower build up which allows the opposition to get men behind the ball.

Overall it certainly looks like we are going for Gus possession game but with far more urgency and purpose going forward. We also look less drilled with players being able to express themselves more.

Saturday will be tough but as the weeks go by I think we will again be a force in this division

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
There were signs of two touch last night. Greer particularly was often prone to receive ball, tap it forward, look up, tap it forward and pass. Last night far more two touches from him and El Abd did a brilliant two touch with a diagonal ball from left to right that was spot on for the receiving player (Solly?)
Yes brilliant pass.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
As Gary Neville rightly said, a team can have 90% possession. But if it's in their own half and the other side had got 11 men facing them, they can do that all day, as they are not hurting anyone. Hopefully we will get forward a lot quicker this season, can't wait to see it in action.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Gary Neville rightly said, a team can have 90% possession. But if it's in their own half and the other side had got 11 men facing them, they can do that all day, as they are not hurting anyone. Hopefully we will get forward a lot quicker this season, can't wait to see it in action.

If the friendlies are any indication we will.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From those that have been to the 2 home friendlies..how do you think Bridcutt is adapting to the new 'style'....from the few comments i've seen he seems off the boil

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here