Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] March at LWB vs Bernardo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love that we are having these discussions, between two superb players rather than scrambling around for players to fill a hole.

Have you not looked across the pitch? :lol:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that unlike under CH where the formation and players were very much the same regardless of the opposition, that Potter will change the formation and players based on the opposition and his thoughts on what will give us the best chance of winning.

So even where we play 3-4-2-1 it could be Bernardo in 1 game and March in the next at LWB. In my view we are going to become a member of the PL rotation world and fielding an unchanged team other than where injury dictates will be long gone, we may not field an unchanged side throughout the season

I think that's a good shout. Rather than be predictable, let the opposition second guess how we are going to play.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
March at WB is better for him as hes not good enough as a premier league winger. He can't beat a man and his crossing is awful. His strongest asset is that he works hard and can get back and defend. This was good enough for CH but I fear that defensively hes not good enough either for the prem. I think his true level is the championship.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
March at WB is better for him as hes not good enough as a premier league winger. He can't beat a man and his crossing is awful. His strongest asset is that he works hard and can get back and defend. This was good enough for CH but I fear that defensively hes not good enough either for the prem. I think his true level is the championship.
I think you are confusing him with Craig Noone

Would rather see someone break the mental block Solly has when he gets into the final third of the pitch.
You mean break it by restricting his shooting opportunities through putting him at the back? Or are you just referring to the indecision he sometimes displays? He'd make a crap stand-in 'keeper because he doesn't always seem to be able to 'read' the action when it's in the final third IMO.

Brave.

Hope you have your hard hat on!

If you don't believe he's a PL player now then I think you will by the end of the season.

I believe in Potter.

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Our other players must really struggle then. He completed more dribbles per game than any other player in our squad, bar Bissouma, last season. He also completed more crosses per game than anyone bar Gross last season. But other than that, don't let your personal feelings cloud your judgement.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I agree. He's played a good amount of games in the last two years without really suggesting he's capable of being an effective Premier League winger. I think we'll see him play less games this season, and be moved on next summer.

Or - the change in tactics will really allow him to thrive and deliver on his potential. I firmly believe we're going to see 2/3 players thrive under a less restrictive manager, there's no reason why Solly can't be one of them, but based on the past couple of years, I don't really see it. He strikes me as being very similar to Elliot Bennett, a massive compliment in the Championship but not in the Premier League.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You mean break it by restricting his shooting opportunities through putting him at the back? Or are you you just referring to the indecision he sometimes displays?
His indecision when he has a moment to think.
It's almost as if when he gives himself just enough time to second guess he does and guesses wrong.
I seem to remember him running straight through about 3 or 4 Chelsea players, last season, get clear, then completely fluff it.

I'll hazard a guess he was the only player, in the entirety of last season, who ghosted past all those players.
That player ought not to have career stats of 11 goals & 19 assists from 159 appearances.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like the fact we have competition for places and options re formation and tactics within our squad, at, Imthink, a sustainable PL level, and hopefully a more dynamic manager who can utilise both aspects dependant on the pretty wide variation of opposition any team faces in a PL season.

We do need a New Bruno, still.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Then we gotta hella lotta CBs at the club!!
That also suggests he would consider Baluta on the right of the three (given he played at CB in a friendly and was a CB).
Surely Balogun is off?

"Team full of centre backs
We're just a team full of centre backs".

Be fair though if you do something well, keep doing it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He did okay, but you'd have to think he'd struggle in that postion against decent attackers.

To be fair to the bloke, it may well have been the first time he has ever played in that position. I thought he played the role pretty well in the circumstances and, despite his height/size, he got upfield pretty regularly for a left side back three player.
We do have a fair few defenders and Indon’t think Clarke came just to keep up the numbers. There must be doubts about Balogan’s future, it seems that whoever he plays for he drops a monumental clanger - too risky - shame because other than that he looks to have some potential.
I was more worried about Duffy’s ability to form part of a back three - the jury is out but it was good to see him on the scoresheet. We need more goals from our set pieces.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No Chance Bernardo will be cb with the options we have .

Based on yesterday’s game Bernardo should be the first choice wing back no question.

Solly as back up

looks like Brian Owen has tweeted that Potter sees Bernado as competition for the left sided cb in a 3-4-3 ( amongst other options )

Pi55es on my chips

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

I agree entirely except the last part. I think as a WB he is fine in the PL. Will also add that his attributes mean he could, if needed to, play RWB as his game is irrelevant to which foot is more natural. So both March and Bernardo could play.

The interesting thing will be how defensively minded he can be with a manager that has taken the shackles off. Was his better defensive performances a result of CH stewardship? Time will tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here