Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marc Cucurella

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Don't agree with you on Enrique. I don't see the Chelsea hierarchy placing value on the slow burn brand of tika taka we saw recently at the world cup. Nagelsman or Poch, much more likely
International football is always slower than club football - all the top Prem sides play considerably faster tempo than England - and that is NOT the style Enrique played at Barca with the exciting front 3 of Messi, Neymar and Suarez. I agree Nagelsmann is favourite but risky, and Boehly hasn't got a clue.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
The problem for Chelsea is getting takers. Who is going to want Raheem Sterling?

I think we'd be a great fit for Sterling.

We seem to bit a good fit for former England internationals, looking at Welbeck, Lallana and Bridge,.

If he's willing to take a big pay cut, I'd welcome him with open arms. He'd do really well here and become an asset.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

We seem to bit a good fit for former England internationals, looking at Welbeck, Lallana and Bridge,.

If he's willing to take a big pay cut, I'd welcome him with open arms. He'd do really well here and become an asset.
I think he could fit in as he is still capable and has loads of relevant experience. Not sure if he would become a Billy big bollocks and be difficult to manage. ie he might not pass the fit and proper Seagull test.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

I don't see it. We seem to look to our senior players to be exemplars of attitude and work ethic and be there to pass on their footballing intelligence (and obviously help win matches!).
None of that screams Sterling to me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Apparently on Newcastle shortlist - can’t see Mrs Cucurella moving up there

They're reporting £30M which is what Pep offered and we turned down. We obviously thought he was more than £30m a year ago, so would that be a good deal for the strange naked people who don't speak English :wink:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Did we really think he was worth more than £30m or had Tony worked out the mad yank would pay a lot more?
indsight is gre- but with it , Pep was about right, and Tony took Chelsea to the cleaners, however at the time, he was a vital part of the team, and so an inflated price was in order. We wont be getting the full 65 million, but we certainly got the better end of that deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did we really think he was worth more than £30m
Yes I think he was. He was really good in his season with us. You can spend over £20m on a defender from the Championship without knowing if they're be able to make it in the PL.

He's just had a bad season, but then so has everyone in a Chelsea kit. He's also on high wages (befitting of someone who cost £60m) which will affect his resale value.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
indsight is gre- but with it , Pep was about right
No, Pep's valuation wasn't right - if he was really only worth £30m, then he wouldn't have been good enough for Pep's team anyway. Pep's bid was cheeky, he obviously thought Cuckoo was a decent player or he wouldn't have bid at all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, Pep's valuation wasn't right - if he was really only worth £30m, then he wouldn't have been good enough for Pep's team anyway. Pep's bid was cheeky, he obviously thought Cuckoo was a decent player or he wouldn't have bid at all.
I think £30M was about right. £65M definitely wasn't :ohmy:

But at least they won't repeat that mistake by buying a player off us for £100M that we replace with a similar aged signing from them for £7M.

I jest, I think :wink:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apparently on Newcastle shortlist - can’t see Mrs Cucurella moving up there
It’s a little known fact that he drove past St James Park on his way from Heathrow down to Sussex and he’s wanted to play for Newcastle ever since.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Was Cucurella worth £62m to buy from us after a breakout season in the Premier League, with many years left on his contract, with 2 (if not three) mega clubs interested in taking him? Probably.

Is he now worth anywhere near that after a year looking out of his depth at Chelsea? No way.

Valuation is mostly about context rather than ability. Chelsea will be looking to claw back as much of the fee as they paid us for him as possible - currently there is £50m left to account for. They’ll be trying to get as close to that as they can’t really afford to write off money with ffp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here