[Football] Marc Cucurella

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
To get the best out of Cucurella Potter has to play him at LB or LWB LCB he is adequate but not his best position. LB may be a problem because Chilwell may be better

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Cucurella strikes me as quite an emotional guy and someone whose confidence could be affected quite easily. He's a newbie in a team full of self important super egotists who probaly consider him as not being in their league and beneath them. Losing your confidence is one of the worst things that can happen to a person, professionally.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cucurella strikes me as quite an emotional guy and someone whose confidence could be affected quite easily. He's a newbie in a team full of self important super egotists who probaly consider him as not being in their league and beneath them. Losing your confidence is one of the worst things that can happen to a person, professionally.
Being ridiculed every time he touched the ball – and sometimes when he didn't – at the Amex probably didn't help!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Ben White was always a much better footballer than many of us gave him credit for.
The rhetoric of 4th best centre-back suited our narrative, but he was never going to have to be a Dunk or Duffy when playing for Arsenal.
To be honest I’d still argue that he was our 4th best centre back. I’m a big fan of White but playing CB wasn’t his forte, he’s now first choice right back at Arsenal and I think suits him a lot more.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ben White was always a much better footballer than many of us gave him credit for.
The rhetoric of 4th best centre-back suited our narrative, but he was never going to have to be a Dunk or Duffy when playing for Arsenal.
Oh no, I wasn't saying he was not worth the fee, but all the talk was of how much they needed a CB, and my feeling was that they were not getting the defensive qualities you might expect from an elite level CB. On the right of 3 or as a right back, he is great. A different type of player, but like Veltman for us, fantastic, but you would not put him in the centre of a 3, or be totally comfortable with him as one of a pair.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Cucurella is a good enough player to be performing at a much higher level for Chelsea than he currently is, he has been very average which for a player who cost 60m+ isn’t really good enough.

When players move to bigger teams the biggest challenge is mentality, it’s relentless pressure to win every week which for many players is a lot to adapt to, time will tell if it works out for him, I think it will in the long run, he’s quite fortunate in some ways Chilwell is a sick note because otherwise he might have found himself out the team.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
He just got well and truly worked over by the pundits on MOTD2.

Which was nice. :)
Just watched that this morning. Looks like he was glued to the man he was marking and completly forgot to watch the ball. The pundits really had a dig at him yesterday.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
When playing LCB for us he got good cover from Webster and March when going forward. Dosn't happen at Chelsea.. Potter seems determined to play 3 at back so assume they have no other CBs so assume they regret lending us one.

Stumpy Tim

When players move to bigger teams the biggest challenge is mentality, it’s relentless pressure to win every week which for many players is a lot to adapt to, time will tell if it works out for him, I think it will in the long run, he’s quite fortunate in some ways Chilwell is a sick note because otherwise he might have found himself out the team.
I think the same could be said of Potter. He has to win every week... he can't afford to tinker and get it wrong every now and again. He could get away with it at the Albion

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Cucurella has made 12 appearances, to write him off already I would say is a tad premature. I seem to remember Cancelo really struggled at City in his first season, and wasn't until halfway through his second that he started to nail a place in the team.
Yes, I would agree with you on that and with Biss; it takes time to adjust to new teams and managers and their style of play and training, although maybe not so much of an excuse for Cucu

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
You could have the following team of players coming directly to 'Top 6' from 'lower teams'

Ramsdale
White Stones VVD Robertson
Kante Hoijberg
Mahrez Grealish Richarlison
Jota

Not a bad team
Yes, but still 11 players over 7 years or so.
What team could you pick from players bought from abroad for the Big 6 in that time?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be honest I’d still argue that he was our 4th best centre back. I’m a big fan of White but playing CB wasn’t his forte, he’s now first choice right back at Arsenal and I think suits him a lot more.
Beyond the first game against Toney, he did an impressive job at CB for Arsenal last season. It was said that, because of how Toney played against him, other strikers would too -- that didn't happen. BW adjusted and performed well -- he's an intelligent footballer.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'd agree.

Though he was clearly our best CB/RB/CM hybrid.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Biss is improving game by game at spurs. Fans were impressed with him yesterday. I personally thought he was ok, but once he reaches full Brighton levels for them they will be blown away.

Shame he's playing for a such a defensive dullard.
It's not the first time.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Just watched that this morning. Looks like he was glued to the man he was marking and completly forgot to watch the ball. The pundits really had a dig at him yesterday.
Yeah as mentioned earlier - his job wasn't to watch the ball - it was to block the man and leave the zonal defending to others. It just reinforces the fact that the pundits have very little understanding of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports