[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Dunno.

But I've been watching this on loop for several minutes...

Being slightly objective in the anaysis of this incident

You have to ask why his fellow defender didn't shout for him to leave it, as he was moving into a position to cut it out and prevent it from reaching Watkins (is a lack of communication between defenders part of their problems this season?)

Watkins was behind Cucurella, and if he thought there was no cover and the striker was likely to go clear through on goal, and despite not being in a good position to try to cut it out, he probably felt he still had to attempt to get something, anything on the ball and to try to stop it from reaching Watkins. Had he known cover was there, i doubt he would have tried to head it in that situation.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
be interesting to see how Cucu gets on in the post Potter Chelsea era it seemed at the time from quotes attributed to Boehly that Potter was instrumental in Cucu heading for Chelsea

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
I'm sure his ridonculous wage helps but it's obvious in his demeanour that he's mentally absolutely under the cosh where he is.
I think he needs to get a move abroad to forget all his Chelsea worries for his own wellbeing. I actually feel sorry for him but know I shouldn't. Poor fuccer.
Problem Cucurella has is no one is going to go near the wages Chelsea will be paying him, and no club is paying them anything like the fee they paid us, so he’s stuck there on that contract for a while imo. Could be similar for quite a lot of the signing they have made. Hopefully ffp disaster awaits.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-transfer-news-kieran-tierney-marc-cucurella/

“Newcastle United are looking to sign a left back on loan before the close of the transfer window with both Arsenal’s Kieran Tierney and Chelsea’s Marc Cucurella of interest to them.

Only one will arrive on Tyneside, but Newcastle have been given reason to believe that both would like to make the move and are looking to progress talks.

Both deals would include either an option or an obligation to buy the player next summer and there is some confidence a breakthrough can be reached with at least one of their Premier League rivals”.

[A lot more in the article]

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-transfer-news-kieran-tierney-marc-cucurella/

“Newcastle United are looking to sign a left back on loan before the close of the transfer window with both Arsenal’s Kieran Tierney and Chelsea’s Marc Cucurella of interest to them.

Only one will arrive on Tyneside, but Newcastle have been given reason to believe that both would like to make the move and are looking to progress talks.

Both deals would include either an option or an obligation to buy the player next summer and there is some confidence a breakthrough can be reached with at least one of their Premier League rivals”.

[A lot more in the article

Newcastle would be an amazing spot for him to end up. They've built a really good team but are still playing Burn at LB, can see Cucurella regaining his Brighton form in that set up.

Rather sickening to see how savvy Newcastle are being with their oil billions....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Newcastle would be an amazing spot for him to end up. They've built a really good team but are still playing Burn at LB, can see Cucurella regaining his Brighton form in that set up.

Rather sickening to see how savvy Newcastle are being with their oil billions....
It’ll be textbook Smug to get him back to his player-of-the-season form.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not for a loan we don't.
Isn't it being touted as a loan to buy with a compulsory fee built into the loan agreement, so we would get the sell-on at the end of the season when the full transfer goes through. It may well be less than a straight transfer as no doubt Chelsea will discount the transfer by the loan fee,

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Isn't it being touted as a loan to buy with a compulsory fee built into the loan agreement, so we would get the sell-on at the end of the season when the full transfer goes through. It may well be less than a straight transfer as no doubt Chelsea will discount the transfer by the loan fee,
Surely Chelsea wouldn't make a profit on that transfer though?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No, often not. Simply a % of any future sale.
That’s my instinct. I’m not sure what the point of a Caicedo sell-on is otherwise!

They are probably all different but I assume the club have a % of any future sales. There is always a dullard lurking about to put us right on this.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Whilst a contract term can be anything the two parties agree it to be, I think the norm or standard for a sell-on clause is that it applies to the PROFIT that is made on the sale, not simply on the sale price itself.
I'm not sure that's the case at all, although I've often heard it touted. For example, this article (which seems to be readable even though I don't have an Athletic subscription) on sell-on clauses does not seem to mention profit at all:

This also makes no mention of profit:

This does mention profit as a potential part of a sell-on clause, but doesn't seem to suggest that it's the norm:

Clubs can also negotiate a sell-on clause for a percentage of the profit made by a player’s next move;

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports