Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Many on here are keen cyclists but could you live in a city like this?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brighton isn't that hilly, is it? The vast majority of the city centre is flat. There are loads of alternatives to climbing steep hills, if one is worried about that.

Congestion wise, the worst parts of Brighton are flat.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Brighton is really hilly, never going to happen. There's a reason all these pro-cycling towns are flat.
Brighton has two separate courier company's who deliver only by bicycle. There is also Brighton's cycling gardener and two cycling window cleaners operating in the City.
So it can be done.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

But if you swap a car for a bike you don't want just parts of the route to be flat, you want the whole route to be flat; lots of the population live at a different elevation above sea level and I don't think many of them will want to swap a car for a bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For arguments sake, if you were to section off a part of Brighton for a Sunny Sunday Traffic Free day, where?

My Brighton geography isn't strong enough to do this off the top of my head without glaring omissions but here goes.

The station down to the seafront, East along to the pier then up along side the A23.
Basically all those little roads that intersect The Laines.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Er ... no.

To the best of my knowledge, the Green Party is the ONLY political party represented in parliament that is campaigning for higher taxation. Including higher taxes from folk who ride bikes. Unlike Call-Me-Dave's mob, the Greens are far from being an organisation that wants its core supporters rewarded with special tax breaks.

The Greens have actually announced plans for a specific tax on cyclists/cycling?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The Greens have actually announced plans for a specific tax on cyclists/cycling?

As cyclists pay tax (income tax) and the Greens want to increase this, cyclists would pay more tax than currently. Or, as Lord B puts it "folk who ride bikes", which is nearly everyone.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Brighton isn't that hilly, is it? The vast majority of the city centre is flat. There are loads of alternatives to climbing steep hills, if one is worried about that.

Flat?! The city centre is far from flat.

Up in York there are a lot of cycle lanes and because the whole city is dead flat, a lot of people use them. There is even a bicycle orbital route that accesses every part of the city. I wouldn't go down them at night though... The only problem with York is that when you do have to ride on the road the surface is so crap punctures become a common occurrence.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As cyclists pay tax (income tax) and the Greens want to increase this, cyclists would pay more tax than currently. Or, as Lord B puts it "folk who ride bikes", which is nearly everyone.

So cyclists would continue to pay no vehicle/road investment related taxes/duties whilst enjoying car free roads paid for, in part at least, by other road users who would pay these charges?

Hmmmm.......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So cyclists would continue to pay no vehicle/road investment related taxes/duties whilst enjoying car free roads paid for, in part at least, by other road users who would pay these charges?

Hmmmm.......

We've done this one quite a few times now. Roads are funded from central tax so everyone pays.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Hmmmm.......

You STILL haven't got it have you? Roads are paid for via general taxation, NOT Vehicle Excise Duty. They are for EVERYONE to use, paid for by EVERYONE. If you don't like paying VED, get a vehicle with lower emissions so you don't have to pay it, or change your travel arrangements and get rid of the vehicle altogether. Driving is a choice, not a right. Owning a car is a choice, not a right.

Personally I'd cancel Vehicle Excise Duty entirely, and treble fuel duty. Then people will pay more for driving more, and pay more for driving less efficient vehicles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not being unduly negative, but there's a limit to how much shopping you can carry safely on a bike. (excluding India & China, obviously)
Get the train in.

I'm not in and around Brighton of a weekend.
I'd be curious as to how much big bag shopping is done, up and down Western Road and The Laines?

For the sake of a sunny summers Sunday, when the pavements can be opened up to cafes, pubs, restaurants, and shops, no pollution and minimal noise, I'd say a decent amount of new business would be created, still with 6 others days to buy that wardrobe from Argos (which you'd get delivered).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

That town centre looks completely dead.

While I'm not trying to justify running people over, I'd say anyone on that bike ride is putting themselves at risk by deliberately causing a nuisance in the centre of London, sooner of later they're going to come across someone who's a big enough c**t to just plough through them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here