Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Many on here are keen cyclists but could you live in a city like this?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
THIS is what 'going Dutch' means when it comes to cycling - not some poxy 3' wide strip of 'cycle lane' painted on the road. As the video shows it takes 30 years to do properly, but is well worth it in the end.

Enjoyment because you don't get hot and sweaty going about your daily business?

Enjoyment because it takes less time to get about?

I dunno... I'm not against cycling and I don't drive around a pokey town all day everyday...

Nobody is getting hot or sweaty - everyone is riding at a sensible pace in normal clothes. I doubt it takes less time to drive in a town like this than it takes to cycle. This set-up entirely normalises cycling as a mode of transport - it's just the most sensible way to get around, and works. I'd love it!

THIS is what 'going Dutch' means when it comes to cycling - not some poxy 3' wide strip of 'cycle lane' painted on the road. As the video shows it takes 30 years to do properly, but is well worth it in the end.
At least the new Lewes Road cycle lane is 8' wide - and adjacent to a traffic lane where cars, vans and trucks are banned.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Shit! shit! shit!!! I rode past this on my way home from work on Friday. I saw the ambulance parked and the bus stopped with a police van in front of it. A few cyclists were stopped on the pavement. I remember thinking 'I wonder what's going on, I hope everyone's ok'. It turns out they weren't.

Let's hope some drivers are charged with attempted murder. I won't be holding my breath though... :down:

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
What no one seems to have noticed is that apart from a few bikes and a couple of pedestrians, the place is deserted! How do businesses make any money?

To my mind, what makes shopping centres awful is crowds of people, not cars.

By and large, most towns now have large car parks on the periphery now anyway.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Is that not just a similar area to the pedestrianised zones we have in some towns and cities now around their shops (such as Cliffe High Street in Lewes?) with vehicle access just for loading?

Is that not just a similar area to the pedestrianised zones we have in some towns and cities now around their shops (such as Cliffe High Street in Lewes?) with vehicle access just for loading?
As the original video argues, there a significant difference between "shared spaces" and "nearly car-free streets". I'd describe Cliffe High Street as more of a shared space. But it's working well and the traders, who were initially hostile to the idea, now seem to be doing nicely out off the scheme. As a former resident of Cliffe High Street, I'd say that most of the traffic that used to use the street were cars looking (unsuccessfully for the most part) for a free on-street parking space. That no longer happens.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

As a cyclist, and a car driver, and a motorcyclist.....

I found it spooky and weird. It reminded me of a sixties mystery/spy/cold war drama. Either that or it was just Dutch?

The concept of roads paid for by car drivers and motorcyclists (road tax) that they then cannot use is less than comfortable also. Strange too that Assen is a Mecca for petrol heads.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A pedant would say you don't pay for the roads with road tax, you pay a duty on your emissions.

Which is why a Pious doesn't pay road tax.

But your right it does look odd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The concept of roads paid for by car drivers and motorcyclists (road tax) that they then cannot use is less than comfortable also. Strange too that Assen is a Mecca for petrol heads.....

Roads are paid for out of income tax, road tax and fuel duty so we all contribute.

I found it spooky and weird. It reminded me of a sixties mystery/spy/cold war drama. Either that or it was just Dutch?

For the millionth time ... Road Fund Tax was abolished in 1937. Vehicle Excise Duty is general taxation, no different from duties on alcohol.

"I buy whisky. That entitles me to drive drunk". I think not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the millionth time ... Road Fund Tax was abolished in 1937. Vehicle Excise Duty is general taxation, no different from duties on alcohol.

I've told you a million times stop exaggerating,...

...although in this case I think a million is probably the right number.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Although the 'road tax' myth has been explained to you already, do you also find it odd that you aren't allowed to go to school anymore, or that maternity departments in hospitals might not fancy you coming in for appointments?

My taxes paid for the army - where's my tank?!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What no one seems to have noticed is that apart from a few bikes and a couple of pedestrians, the place is deserted! How do businesses make any money?

I noticed that but also noticed a lot of parked up bikes. I'd like to know what time of day it was filmed. Lots of eating/drinking paces with tables outside and no punters. No sign of boarded up shops.

There'a a massive cultural difference. Bikes seem the norm for local trips there. Lots of panniers and a complete lack of riding as a fitness option. I reckon pretty much anyone who moved there would follow suit. Some places would work better than others over here because of hills.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I noticed that but also noticed a lot of parked up bikes. I'd like to know what time of day it was filmed. Lots of eating/drinking paces with tables outside and no punters. No sign of boarded up shops.

There'a a massive cultural difference. Bikes seem the norm for local trips there. Lots of panniers and a complete lack of riding as a fitness option. I reckon pretty much anyone who moved there would follow suit. Some places would work better than others over here because of hills.
pedelecs would be the answer to that!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Well thank you so much for that exaggeration LB.

I work in the motor industry so I do actually realise what 'road tax' actually is. What I was alluding to was the general publics perception that cyclists pay zilch but get to use the roads that others pay for.

But the 'green lobby' will be more than happy with that.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Ok if the area is flat and all deliveries home were free totally impractical in Brighton but its the world the bunny hugging hessian weaving green loops want

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The concept of roads paid for by car drivers and motorcyclists (road tax) that they then cannot use is less than comfortable also. .....

I work in the motor industry so I do actually realise what 'road tax' actually is. What I was alluding to was the general publics perception that cyclists pay zilch but get to use the roads that others pay for.

We have different understands of the word 'alluding'.

Any members of the general public with that perception is also wrong.

It's strange how many drivers think the own the road because they pay road tax, but very few cyclists think the roads are out of bounds because they haven't paid.

Well thank you so much for that exaggeration LB.

But the 'green lobby' will be more than happy with that.
Er ... no.

To the best of my knowledge, the Green Party is the ONLY political party represented in parliament that is campaigning for higher taxation. Including higher taxes from folk who ride bikes. Unlike Call-Me-Dave's mob, the Greens are far from being an organisation that wants its core supporters rewarded with special tax breaks.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Brighton is really hilly, never going to happen. There's a reason all these pro-cycling towns are flat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here