Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manure v Scummy Boro

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
... About good management skills of Wilder , yes.

Nothing more to see here.

When you are in sudden death there is no order. Those whose step up take the next one. If AC wanted to endear himself to the Boro fans he would have taken one of the penalties and smashed it in. I fear that he will not have helped his cause by bottling it. He is a Premie League centre forward and should have grabbed the opportunity!

It’s not though is it? Wilder knows Connolly is already under the pump from the Boro fans and he’s clearly trying to build his confidence up, it makes total tactical and logical sense to hold back a young striker who is struggling and let the more experienced players step up.

You need experienced players for these situations. Wilder has this right over Southgate

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Well done to the Middlesbrough board for taking their full 9,400 ticket allocation, even though it was an 8pm kickoff with the game live on ITV.

Paul Barber take note.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It’s not though is it? Wilder knows Connolly is already under the pump from the Boro fans and he’s clearly trying to build his confidence up, it makes total tactical and logical sense to hold back a young striker who is struggling and let the more experienced players step up.

I get that in the first 5 but having a CB's who are barely even warmed up taking one over him is still extreme imo

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When you are in sudden death there is no order. Those whose step up take the next one. If AC wanted to endear himself to the Boro he would have taken one of the penalties and smashed it in. I fear that he will not have helped his cause by bottling it. He is a Premie League centre forward and should have grabbed the opportunity!

Or…..his manager had a predetermined order based on success in training, and stuck to it:shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
When you are in sudden death there is no order. Those whose step up take the next one. If AC wanted to endear himself to the Boro fans he would have taken one of the penalties and smashed it in. I fear that he will not have helped his cause by bottling it. He is a Premie League centre forward and should have grabbed the opportunity!

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You have no idea whether he bottled it or not. It’s far more likely Chris Wilder kept him back. Taking a penalty at the Stratford End in Old Trafford is very stressful for a young player, finding his feet at a different club.
Take your knife out of his back.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Fans - I said fans; not 'a professional football club'. Wilder has already had to come out and defend him against the abuse he's had, fuelled by the waves of negativity from some on the Brighton side, and by the fact that, shockingly, in about 200 minutes of Championship football he hasn't scored yet.
For many fans he'd failed before he even started because of the perceived reputation that he came with. Yes, he has got a tough job on to re-establish himself. Nothing like making it even harder, eh?

maybe he has to put some effort in to establish himself, just like everbody else, just a thought

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Brilliant result.

I think it’s very telling Connolly didn’t take a penalty. It’s very fair to assume he didn’t want to take one which says a lot about his confidence right now. Whether you like him or not that is a real shame.
It's not very fair to assume anything of the kind. It was a very good bit of man management by Chris Wilder - but there is no evidence whatsoever to say that Connolly himself didn't want to rtake a penalty. For all you know (which is nothing) he might have been desperate to open his score for his new team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope, doesn’t work like that. With 5 subs how does he know who will still be on the pitch. AC didn’t want to take one. It is as simple as that and that won’t go done well with the Boro fans or Chris Wilder!

Umm, because there is a break after ET where the managers decide who takes when

You stick to your so obvious anti-Connolly agenda. I’m out - I really struggle to understand the mentality of fans who want our players to fail, or jump on every opportunity to criticise.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
You have no idea whether he bottled it or not. It’s far more likely Chris Wilder kept him back. Taking a penalty at the Stratford End in Old Trafford is very stressful for a young player, finding his feet at a different club.
Take your knife out of his back.

Sorry but that is rubbish. Wilder is on the touch line. He is meant to be a premier league striker and he let defenders and other young players take one before him. No knife in the back. He bottled it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here