Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manuel Locatelli - the BIG target for the summer

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No rumours about him but a strong hunch Brighton will go for him this summer.

Clearly one of Robertos favorite players:

"Locatelli has an uncommon sensitivity and a healthy self-awareness. And I stress healthy. It's not a question of presumption, he possesses that hint of narcissism, he feels the strongest of all and he knows how to handle this well. He has an uncommon maturity. His entry into Juve was almost too natural. Loca is crazy about football, letting him rest on Tuesdays when training resumes was impossible. He always wanted to work. When I say that passion makes the difference, I take him as an example. Very few in Europe play with one touch like him, before receiving the ball he already knows where and to whom to direct it. And then in three years I have never seen him lose a contrast (no idea what the DeepL translation means, my remark) . When I called him to convince him to come to Sassuolo we set the European Championship as our goal. He wanted it and got it. (Locatelli was a part of Italys Euro winning team in 2020)"

Locatelli on his side has said, among other positive things, that De Zerbi changed his life. He was a young talent who had a strong start in Milan but later got less game time, resulting in Sassuolo & De Zerbi buying him.

Now he's in Juventus on loan and they are obligated to buy him in the summer. But the club is in chaos and their finances horrible. They might well have to sell him immediately on arrival, and Brighton will be there buying him as a replacement for Ali Mac or Caicedo.

Locatelli would probably earn more playing for Inter or Milan than for Brighton but if he wants to move to England (which most players want because thats where the money is) and end up in a top 6 side, a good move would be to go to Brighton for 2-3 seasons and then move on. He is only 25.

Cost? £30-40m. Would make him the most expensive incoming transfer in the history of the club... which is bound to happen one day and maybe buying a 25-year-old Italian international midfielder with 24 caps would be the right reason to do it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that the Albion would pay £30 million for the right player, providing the manager thought they'd be a key player and incoming fees were at least as high for players leaving.

I think Locatelli is an ambitious target but not unrealistic IF we qualify for Europe, and the only reason we stand any chance is De Zerbi. The position is helped by Juve's point penalty making Europe unlikely for next season, but he would be a good option for Top 6 clubs missing out on Bellingham / Rice / Caicedo / MacAllister - that could be us.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No rumours about him but a strong hunch Brighton will go for him this summer.

Clearly one of Robertos favorite players:

"Locatelli has an uncommon sensitivity and a healthy self-awareness. And I stress healthy. It's not a question of presumption, he possesses that hint of narcissism, he feels the strongest of all and he knows how to handle this well. He has an uncommon maturity. His entry into Juve was almost too natural. Loca is crazy about football, letting him rest on Tuesdays when training resumes was impossible. He always wanted to work. When I say that passion makes the difference, I take him as an example. Very few in Europe play with one touch like him, before receiving the ball he already knows where and to whom to direct it. And then in three years I have never seen him lose a contrast (no idea what the DeepL translation means, my remark) . When I called him to convince him to come to Sassuolo we set the European Championship as our goal. He wanted it and got it. (Locatelli was a part of Italys Euro winning team in 2020)"

Locatelli on his side has said, among other positive things, that De Zerbi changed his life. He was a young talent who had a strong start in Milan but later got less game time, resulting in Sassuolo & De Zerbi buying him.

Now he's in Juventus on loan and they are obligated to buy him in the summer. But the club is in chaos and their finances horrible. They might well have to sell him immediately on arrival, and Brighton will be there buying him as a replacement for Ali Mac or Caicedo.

Locatelli would probably earn more playing for Inter or Milan than for Brighton but if he wants to move to England (which most players want because thats where the money is) and end up in a top 6 side, a good move would be to go to Brighton for 2-3 seasons and then move on. He is only 25.

Cost? £30-40m. Would make him the most expensive incoming transfer in the history of the club... which is bound to happen one day and maybe buying a 25-year-old Italian international midfielder with 24 caps would be the right reason to do it.

It's funny you mention this today, I was watching another of RDZ's previous favourites - Domenico Berradi play (and score) against Roma and wondered whether we might go for him in the summer. Long been linked with a move but amazingly still at Sassuolo. He's 29 in August so at an age where if he's going to make a biggish move, he needs to do it sooner than later.

He's a quality player, can play on either wing or up front in De Zerbi's system and I think we could afford him. Let's go for the Berradi/Locatelli double!

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
i can’t see it at all. I suspect if he wants to come to England, there will be “bigger” teams interested. And I don’t think we would pay that much for a position which we are currently very strong in. If we qualify for Europe, big chance MC and Ali Mac stay so need for Locatelli. If we don’t qualify, not much chance of him coming to a mid table side from a team playing England seems highly unlikely.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fantastic player but we are not in a position to be paying this type of money, I am sure the next young South American has already been approached with a view to transfer talks.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I now expect to hear of a bid from Chelsea!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
First off, Locatelli is a high end player.
He’s too established to be a Brighton signing, at the moment though.
This comes down to whether Tony Bloom choose to make the next step.
It’s not a guarantee of success as Stoke, Middlesbrough and Leeds have found out.
But you can’t stand still either.
I hope we take that step forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here