Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manu instead of Zamora?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
People moan about him not being given a chance, then when he finally gets one, people moan that the wrong person was brought on. Listening to the radio, he seemed to be causing quite a few problems to Brentford today, and possibly should've even got a penalty. Personally I'd say it's a good thing if he starts being given a chance to prove himself, and game time can only help.

He was consistently offside, his passing was poor and, bafflingly, he looked utterly uninterested.

For me, if you're 3rd/4th choice and you get twenty minutes to shut people like me then you bloody well put a shift in and he didn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The argument for Manu instead of Zamora is simply pace. In theory, Manu's pace would have been better in the context of the game, catching Brentford on the pace. Zamora would not be a great counter attacking option. He'd be able to hold the ball up, sure, but that would allow Brentford to get back in numbers and reduce the danger of us catching them on the break. Didn't work out, but there is sense to it.

Zamora ahead of Hemed also makes sense. If you only look at goals, Hemed is the most recent of them to score and is our current top scorer. He has more mobility than Zamora, and if you start him, and are forced, due to injuries, to leave him on for the whole game, you can be confident his fitness will allow him to see the game out, and he'll recover for the next game a few days later. Start with Zamora, and you have to keep one substitution back, limiting the tactical changes you can make in a game, because you need to keep one substitute back for the 65th minute when you're going to take Zamora off. Yes, he stayed on for the whole game v Charlton, but was reduced a last ten minute cameos in the following few games, where you'd think if he was fit enough he would have been on sooner.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The argument for Manu instead of Zamora is simply pace. In theory, Manu's pace would have been better in the context of the game, catching Brentford on the pace. Zamora would not be a great counter attacking option. He'd be able to hold the ball up, sure, but that would allow Brentford to get back in numbers and reduce the danger of us catching them on the break. Didn't work out, but there is sense to it.

Zamora ahead of Hemed also makes sense. If you only look at goals, Hemed is the most recent of them to score and is our current top scorer. He has more mobility than Zamora, and if you start him, and are forced, due to injuries, to leave him on for the whole game, you can be confident his fitness will allow him to see the game out, and he'll recover for the next game a few days later. Start with Zamora, and you have to keep one substitution back, limiting the tactical changes you can make in a game, because you need to keep one substitute back for the 65th minute when you're going to take Zamora off. Yes, he stayed on for the whole game v Charlton, but was reduced a last ten minute cameos in the following few games, where you'd think if he was fit enough he would have been on sooner.

Of course it is, sorry Acker but it's not rocket science, pace of course was the reason, but if playing one up its nonsensical to play through balls, if the midfield players can't support, which is why it's better to hold it up for them to join.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course [emoji3]

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Lad at work's just joined from our Amsterdam office - was a Feyenoord STH. Asked about Manu, reply was "if you want someone who can run very fast and do nothing else, he's your man".
Makes you wonder how our scouting works sometimes...

Re Zamora, we wondered if he's holding him back for a start against Ipswich?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The radio commentary was clutching at straws then. As soon as he came on, we stopped being able to retain the ball because everything either bounced off him or he was offside.

4 offsides in 20 minutes is unacceptable, he did the same at Wolves, and I'm afraid even COG would have been a better option today (and he's not good enough either).

Only Hughton will know why Zamora didn't come on instead.

At least one of those wasn't. Very hard to tell about the others from behind the goal.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep. Seem to remember him being a poor ref before. Not sure why so many of our fouls warrented bookings when there's didn't?

Yes, Bruno was clattered aerially early on, and if I'm honest probably wasn't a foul, but when it was replicated he gave them the decision.

The Stephens booking was incredibly harsh, again considering what he had let go for them.

It's just the inconsistency that is so infuriating.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Some of the offsides were very debatable, he outpaced the defenders, out-muscled them to upset them physically, and his control was good - brilliant, even, on that last attack, where he killed a diagonal aerial ball dead to put him one-on-one with the keeper, before the flag went up.

Everyone's opinion is valid, but saying that everything bounced off him and that he didn't look interested??? Sounds like some have written him off before he comes on ...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lad at work's just joined from our Amsterdam office - was a Feyenoord STH. Asked about Manu, reply was "if you want someone who can run very fast and do nothing else, he's your man".

The spirit of CMS lives on

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I didn't see the game quite like this. We were, or had, looked more in control of the midfield and had more possession with Crofts. Add Zammo and we would have further control and possession even further up the field.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Makes you wonder how our scouting works sometimes...

Re Zamora, we wondered if he's holding him back for a start against Ipswich?

Not heard this. I did hear about Holla though. He said he was good at free kicks and set pieces but nothing special otherwise.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I didn't see the game quite like this. We were, or had, looked more in control of the midfield and had more possession with Crofts. Add Zammo and we would have further control and possession even further up the field.

I agree - we started to have less possession after Elvis came on as he was always offside. Think he should have had a penalty though - which was due to his pace.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In one game I saw him play for Acadamy against Norwich he was head and shoulders better then any other forward. First touch was good and set up 2 goals. Certainly far better then CMS and more natural ability then Baldock. Give him a chance. max he has played is 20mins

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Explain that one to me.

I know we are protecting Zamora and trying to keep him fit but 20 mins instead of Manu would surely have done little damage.

Manu is not a forward and I'm not sure he is a footballer either. He has certainly never heard of the offside rule.

And bringing bobby on when 3 - 0 down with the game lost was also ridiculous, as much as Hughton has turned the team around some of his decision making is ludicrous

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
In one game I saw him play for Acadamy against Norwich he was head and shoulders better then any other forward. First touch was good and set up 2 goals. Certainly far better then CMS and more natural ability then Baldock. Give him a chance. max he has played is 20mins

Agree about the u21 match, but that was also when Goldson had to keep barking at him to get into position and when he proved he has no idea about offside. I really don't know what to make of Elvis. Goldson though, on the strength of that u21 game looks very good.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I want to like Manu, but he seemed to be offside every 10 seconds yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here