Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester City. Supposedly an English team.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not forgetting our American shirt and stadium sponsors.
As far as international football goes, our manager is Irish and assistant manager Scottish.

Manager is English. Who he played for is irrelevant.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Where players come from is irrelevant.

Who they play for is primary.

I'd support any nationality if they played for the Albion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I see Leicester City were represented in their match day squad by a Dane, a Jamaican, a German, an Austrian, an Algerian, a Frenchman, a Japanese, an Argentinian, a Welshman, an Australian & a Ghanaian (as well as three Englishmen to save the day) against Sunderland last weekend. Managed of course by an Italian and owned by a group of Thais.

Their fans must be so disappointed with how that's working out.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Spurs are an example of a club that puts time and effort into developing English players and, surprise surprise, it seems to be working fairly well for them. And not forgetting that at the same time they are developing top class English footballers for the national team. Man City on the other hand are the worst of the lot. If all premier league teams acted the way City do then England would never have the players to even qualify for the finals of the euros and the world cup. In my opinion all English teams should be required to have a minimum number of say five English players in the squad for every league game.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... In my opinion all English teams should be required to have a minimum number of say five English players in the squad for every league game.

you mean like the home grown players rule? though im not quite sure how Man City qualifies for this currently.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Last ENGLISH team left in the Champions League. Not a whole lot that's English about them.
Owners: Arab
Shirt and Stadium sponsor: Arab
Manager: Italian
Starting XI: ONE English player, Hart.
Bench: One English player.

It's a bloody joke. I'm supporting PSG.

I know it's the same with many other premier league team, but none worse than City.

I agree to a point. None of the so-called 'English' teams actually represent England in any meaningful sense and I long ago gave up supporting them in Euriope. A shame as I remember the European nights of the Sixties and Seventies when we'd all become Liverpool, Forest, Man U, etc fans for the night as a match between, say, Liverpool and Bayern Munich really was Britain vs Germany. Now as you say given the ownership, management and playing staff they're about as 'English' as the Vatican. But why support PSG? They're even less English! (And they're not very French either).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree to a point. None of the so-called 'English' teams actually represent England in any meaningful sense and I long ago gave up supporting them in Euriope. A shame as I remember the European nights of the Sixties and Seventies when we'd all become Liverpool, Forest, Man U, etc fans for the night as a match between, say, Liverpool and Bayern Munich really was Britain vs Germany. Now as you say given the ownership, management and playing staff they're about as 'English' as the Vatican. But why support PSG? They're even less English! (And they're not very French either).

British or English? Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Liverpool win one of their European Cups with one Englishman and the rest from other parts of the British Isles, and mainly from Scotland?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
British or English? Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Liverpool win one of their European Cups with one Englishman and the rest from other parts of the British Isles, and mainly from Scotland?

Don't think so. The likes of Keegan, Smith, Neal, the two Kennedys, Hughes, Clemence and co. were around in the 1970's and 80s, and even in 2005 they had Gerrard and Carragher. Plus Lawrenson, who, like Hughton, is about as Irish as Jack Charlton was!

Anyway, British (as opposed to just English) is fine by me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think so. The likes of Keegan, Smith, Neal, the two Kennedys, Hughes, Clemence and co. were around in the 1970's and 80s, and even in 2005 they had Gerrard and Carragher. Plus Lawrenson, who, like Hughton, is about as Irish as Jack Charlton was!

Strange analogy, as Hughton has one Irish parent, whereas Jack Charlton was employed as a manager.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

It was this starting line up I was thinking about. Not one starter but three!

1984 European Cup Final (Rome)
Liverpool 1 Roma 1 (4-2 penalties)

Grobbelaar - Zimbabwe
Neal - English
Lawrenson - English but played as Irish
Hansen - Scottish​
A.Kennedy - English
Lee - English
Johnston - South African
Whelan - Irish
Souness - Scottish
Rush - Welsh
Dalglish - Scottish

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

My support of PSG for this one match was for the sole reason that I really dislike Man City. If they had been playing Galatasaray I'd have been a supporter of the Turkish team for the evening.

Agree with your comments about the 60s and 70s when you got 100% behind the English teams playing in Europe. Those were the days.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Er, yeah. If you read my post you'll see I said "Britain vs Germany". Players were far more localised (the entire Celtic winning team of 1967 came from the Glasgow area). Nowadays any sense of a club 'representing' one nation has vanished.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You will also be pleased to know that their global appeal is expanding. Saw a car yesterday with the personalised number plate of: MANCITY-ZN.

At least it wasn't PALACE, so that's something.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Must admit my desire for England to do well in Internationals has not waned, despite disappointing tournaments in the past decade.

But when in comes to English clubs in Europe the games just are just meaningless. It would be most amusing if the PL lost one of the 4 places. lets face it despite the PL cash the standard is poor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here