Managers interviewed in the summer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was strong but I do think some credit for that should go both to Gus's persuasive nature and also the coaching at our club at the time.

And the budget he was given to build it...Err umm no hang on....

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Right. When we were trying to get a new manager / coach (again) in the summer the options on here were being clouded by hysteria, necessity and the betting markets. Now this thread is also being clouded by conjecture. Sticking to purely the betting lists the candidates appear to have been:

Tim Sherwood
Steve Clarke
Paul Clement
Sami

Dave Jones has been mentioned by a couple of people I respect. Nathan may or may not have applied.

Look at those six names in isolation and, well, feel completely underwhelmed. I don't think Sami is up to it. However, off that list, I'd have Clarke as a replacement but it would be like going to an Indian and ordering a mild Chicken Tikka because the alternatives were 'risky high spiced battery chicken'. 'vegetarian dish you've never heard of' and 'appears on every menu'.

I don't think Hyppia is up to it but I don't think we could replace him adequately either.

Paul Clement could have been our Karanka. Ignoring (?) the Real Madrid link, he's studied at the feet of a master. It took Karanka half a season to get up to speed with what the Championship was about. Once he'd sussed it, they finished strongly. Quality additions over the summer and they look nailed on for top 3. But I'll bet they don't have the same player recruitment process that we have. Which is where a top level coach really has to earn his corn.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Right. When we were trying to get a new manager / coach (again) in the summer the options on here were being clouded by hysteria, necessity and the betting markets. Now this thread is also being clouded by conjecture. Sticking to purely the betting lists the candidates appear to have been:

Tim Sherwood
Steve Clarke
Paul Clement
Sami

Dave Jones has been mentioned by a couple of people I respect. Nathan may or may not have applied.

Look at those six names in isolation and, well, feel completely underwhelmed. I don't think Sami is up to it. However, off that list, I'd have Clarke as a replacement but it would be like going to an Indian and ordering a mild Chicken Tikka because the alternatives were 'risky high spiced battery chicken'. 'vegetarian dish you've never heard of' and 'appears on every menu'.

I don't think Hyppia is up to it but I don't think we could replace him adequately either.

We invited a French bloke to the training ground, but I can't remember his name. He has achieved promotion to the French top division on a low budget

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Paul Clement could have been our Karanka. Ignoring (?) the Real Madrid link, he's studied at the feet of a master. It took Karanka half a season to get up to speed with what the Championship was about. Once he'd sussed it, they finished strongly. Quality additions over the summer and they look nailed on for top 3. But I'll bet they don't have the same player recruitment process that we have. Which is where a top level coach really has to earn his corn.
We could give Hyppia half a season to get himself properly acquainted with the division, problem is we won't provide him with Kike, Vossen or Bamford type fire power after his bedding in period.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And the budget he was given to build it...Err umm no hang on....

Always lower than the position we'd finish in though, so still overachieving.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Always lower than the position we'd finish in though, so still overachieving.

At the risk of upsetting those who believe TB and PB only tell us absolute facts, I imagine we'd be doing somewhat better this season with less League One players if we had invested as much in players. We wouldn't be running away with the league but we may have had forwards who know where the net is.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
We could give Hyppia half a season to get himself properly acquainted with the division, problem is we won't provide him with Kike, Vossen or Bamford type fire power after his bedding in period.

Very true. And by the time the 'bedding in period' has elapsed, it will be too late. Lots of similarities between Bloom & Gibson. Difference being Kike/Vossen/Bamford vs O'Grady/Baldock/Colunga!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
According to Tony Bloom we have a squad to challenge for promotion!!
With that in mind, I would think Sami has only a couple of games to save his job

simon.baker.585

Aug 20, 2014
Could Nathan Jones be the major problem

yes!!!! players seem to have no respect for him, he stands in the technical area, shouting and pointing everywhere ! with no real authority ! some of the players look at him as a gobby little shit ! ............ about right !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports