Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man United Disallowed Goal

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It depends from which angle the strip of grass is visible. If directly overhead it’s out. If from a camera any closer to the half way line it may not be. Pretty sure today’s was, although I didn’t think it was from where I was standing!
To be able to tell if it’s in, you need a shot in line with the touchline - it doesn’t have to be overhead. The overhead shot from the WC works because it’s in line with the touchline.

Here is a scientific experiment done in a controlled environment (my kitchen).

In line with ball:
1694937417622.png

1694937438559.png

In line with touchline:
1694937462893.png

1694937481147.png

In line with touchline wall made from a book (SCIENCE!):
1694937501374.png

Best regards,
Professor Fats

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
That still-frame makes it look like Dunk is flattening Højlund (though the video shows it was nothing of the sort). Surprised ManU didn't claim a penalty.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No referee thread this week ?

There were 50/50 decisions in the match that could have cost us if the ref had favoured United. I seem to recall a penalty waived away, probably rightly, but if it had have been given VAR would not have over-ruled.

United not part of the Big Six now ? :ROFLMAO: @Icy Gull Very disappointed in you this week buddy.

Not complaining mind. Onwards and upwards.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
‘Clear and obvious‘ has no relevance to whether the ball was in or out, or on offsides - they are matters of fact not subjective ref opinion (accepting the limitations of the technology). Camera is on the goal line, ball was out. Simple.
I actually don't fully agree, when it comes to offsides. Which frame do you use? What if you can't tell from a certain frame whether the ball has definitely left the passing foot or not? One person thinks it has, the person next to them thinks it hasn't. Still subjective.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I dont see why anyone cant grasp the perspective element in this. On nearly every single corner kick the ball is placed so that the bit touching the ground is clearly outside the line, but a smidgen of the ball is over it. From most angles the ball always seems way out of the corner box, virtually no one even mentions it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No referee thread this week ?

There were 50/50 decisions in the match that could have cost us if the ref had favoured United. I seem to recall a penalty waived away, probably rightly, but if it had have been given VAR would not have over-ruled.

United not part of the Big Six now ? :ROFLMAO: @Icy Gull Very disappointed in you this week buddy.

Not complaining mind. Onwards and upwards.
First half we got 1 maybe 2 freekicks. Mitoma wiped out Lamptey booked,.

Penalty shout for them could never have been given, it wasn't even in the area.

Anyway ball was out. Rashford was nearly in the front row of the stand.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I dont see why anyone cant grasp the perspective element in this. On nearly every single corner kick the ball is placed so that the bit touching the ground is clearly outside the line, but a smidgen of the ball is over it. From most angles the ball always seems way out of the corner box, virtually no one even mentions it.
The difference here is the best angle they had, showed the ball was over the line.

Perspective can be very deceiving but in this instance the best angle they had showed a clear uninterrupted green line between ball and line, which shows clear evidence the linesman got it wrong, hence they overturned the on-field decision.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Jarred Gillett must have been bricking it when his mate on VAR duty told him, 'Yeh, I know it's Old Trafford mate - but there is no way you can allow it!'
But we stopped Brighton scoring at Palace by drawing the line in the wrong place, then lost them the game at Spurs, surely we can allow the goal and they will just accept the half hearted apology on Monday.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I beg to differ.
There are ALWAYS a number of fans who don't understand the rule, remonstrating at Every corner kick.

So much so that James Maddison frequently places the ball miles outside the quadrant, for "bantz" with the away fans.
(i did find it funny the first time he did it)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I beg to differ.
There are ALWAYS a number of fans who don't understand the rule, remonstrating at Every corner kick.

So much so that James Maddison frequently places the ball miles outside the quadrant, for "bantz" with the away fans.
(i did find it funny the first time he did it)
I liked Madison also for that. Shows a good human side.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I actually don't fully agree, when it comes to offsides. Which frame do you use? What if you can't tell from a certain frame whether the ball has definitely left the passing foot or not? One person thinks it has, the person next to them thinks it hasn't. Still subjective.
That’s precisely why I said accepting the limits of the technology. The freezeframes have a margin of accuracy that is some way off perfection

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That’s precisely why I said accepting the limits of the technology. The freezeframes have a margin of accuracy that is some way off perfection
So - sorry, not looking to be pedantic here but - offsides just aren't a matter of fact, are they? They involve human decision-making and human error.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So - sorry, not looking to be pedantic here but - offsides just aren't a matter of fact, are they? They involve human decision-making and human error.
Yes, but nothing to do with the ‘clear and obvious’ element of VAR application, which was the original point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, but nothing to do with the ‘clear and obvious’ element of VAR application, which was the original point.
Ah fair enough.

They would've saved themselves a lot of bother if they'd never included the words "clear and obvious" - even though it IS what it should be used for IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here