Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man United Disallowed Goal

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
There have been a few "goals" where fans have been convinced the ball was over the line, because the can see a bit of grass between the ball and the line, but don't always appreciate the curve of the ball and how the curve stays over the line.

The time taken was probably the VAR desperately trying to find an angle where it could just be in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There have been a few "goals" where fans have been convinced the ball was over the line, because the can see a bit of grass between the ball and the line, but don't always appreciate the curve of the ball and how the curve stays over the line.

If the camera is dead along the line it’s correct if there’s grass it’s out. It’s so simple. And any part overlaps any of the line it’s in.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The time taken was probably the VAR desperately trying to find an angle where it could just be in.
whilst I appreciate the humour, that really is when VAR should take it's time.

In this case it IS an errror, but the stupid wording of "clear and obvious" can always blur the lines.
In freeze-frame from the right angle it is a CLEAR error
But due to the nature of these types of decisions, it is never OBVIOUS.

The right decisiion was made, but teh ambiguity of the guidance, probably caused some debate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My main point is why don’t they have the overhead camera like they did at the WC. Camera angles very deceiving
The image shared by @Acker79 and used during the game look pretty overhead to me, and show the ball as out (because there's daylight or, if you will, green grass between the ball and the line). The overhead in the WC was clearly in, because there was no daylight. I don't really understand why either are an issue.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jarred Gillett must have been bricking it when his mate on VAR duty told him, 'Yeh, I know it's Old Trafford mate - but there is no way you can allow it!'

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
There was a green strip of grass visible - 100% out.

i struggle with how people can’t see the obvious… 🤷🏻‍♂️
It depends from which angle the strip of grass is visible. If directly overhead it’s out. If from a camera any closer to the half way line it may not be. Pretty sure today’s was, although I didn’t think it was from where I was standing!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It depends from which angle the strip of grass is visible. If directly overhead it’s out. If from a camera any closer to the half way line it may not be. Pretty sure today’s was, although I didn’t think it was from where I was standing!
Correct - but think it’s along the line today or very very close if not quite.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

In this case it IS an errror, but the stupid wording of "clear and obvious" can always blur the lines.

The right decisiion was made, but teh ambiguity of the guidance, probably caused some debate.
I’m not sure ‘clear and obvious comes into it (that’s for penalties and the like). I thought linesmen were told not to flag immediately which means it can go to VAR, which is what happened.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

‘Clear and obvious‘ has no relevance to whether the ball was in or out, or on offsides - they are matters of fact not subjective ref opinion (accepting the limitations of the technology). Camera is on the goal line, ball was out. Simple.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Nice to see VAR working. This is the second game in a row Man Utd had a goal over-ruled due to VAR, and rightly so.

It just goes to show in the pre-VAR and especially Ferguson era, how much favouritism Man Utd received from the referees.

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
Of course the goal should have stood 🤣
IMG-20230917-WA0000.jpg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Ah well. If we’re splitting hairs on refereeing decisions, Hannibal should have been sent off. Escaped a booking for waving an imaginary yellow card after his altercation with Dunk. Meant to be an automatic yellow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here