Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City fined £50m for FFP

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They will pay 50M but earn another 70M than they would if came 6th/7th and spent within means by time extra fans buy extra merch worldwide on top of all the extra direct revenues.

If I steal £70 from you and pay you back £50 but get no other punishment is that fair?

plus someone else fails to get the Champs League spot and title they unfairly get

But FFP is unfair to begin with, as it protects the elite from competition and creates a self promoting, self perpetuating cartel.

Businesses go bust due to debt, not profit/loss. UEFA have said that it's acceptable for Manchester United to have a £53m a year shirt deal, but not acceptable for Manchester City to have a £35 million a year shirt deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But FFP is unfair to begin with, as it protects the elite from competition and creates a self promoting, self perpetuating cartel.

Businesses go bust due to debt, not profit/loss. UEFA have said that it's acceptable for Manchester United to have a £53m a year shirt deal, but not acceptable for Manchester City to have a £35 million a year shirt deal.

Utd's sponsor not being related to their owners is the main reason I'd imagine.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cheers EP

Fine them all this season, then ban them from the CL season after next if they don't comply

Cue total adherence to the rules

Simples :)

I can see where you're coming from SC but the rules are flawed and arbitrary.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Ridiculous state of affairs - yes £50m sounds a lot but it's small change to the people who own and run the club. The penalty should be either a European ban or domestic 15 point deduction, for that level of profligacy.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I think the only way to really affect a club like Man City or PSG is to threaten them with a Euro ban. The money means jack shit to their owners.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
UEFA have said that it's acceptable for Manchester United to have a £53m a year shirt deal, but not acceptable for Manchester City to have a £35 million a year shirt deal.
If Untied's is genuine, and City's is not, then I agree.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
One hopes that the fine will be classed as an expense and therefore effectively be a strain on their income in the coming years.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Ridiculous state of affairs - yes £50m sounds a lot but it's small change to the people who own and run the club. The penalty should be either a European ban or domestic 15 point deduction, for that level of profligacy.

I think the only way to really affect a club like Man City or PSG is to threaten them with a Euro ban. The money means jack shit to their owners.

UEFA would never ban a team from Europe as it would damage the Champions League brand - imagine not having the biggest clubs in it, people wouldn't care, and that's the reality of football nowadays, it's not a competition, it's a marketplace. Similarly UEFA couldn't impose any domestic penalties as that would need to be ratified by the relevant nation's Premier League who would inevitably block it because it damages THEIR brand. FFP at all levels is a crock of shyte until it is adapted to attack debt rather than profit/loss. Which will be never, because 99% of clubs are in debt and the lawyers would have a field day - debt in itself is not necessarily a problem, it's when it becomes unsustainable or loaded in favour of one creditor that it's such an issue (cough, ourselves, cough).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Weren't under investigation. Seems that they didn't breach the limits; 37m transfer of Mata to Utd would have plugged a large gap.
Presumably the fine applies to last year's activity, not this.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If Untied's is genuine, and City's is not, then I agree.

By taking that approach you are effectively endorsing the likes of United, Barcelona and Real being uncatchable in perpetuity. There's no more wrong in PSG, City or Chelsea's owners bankrolling their clubs than a bunch of sadsacks in Guildford and Singapore buying Jonny Evans duvet covers and financing the club that way.

If genuine financial fair play is the aim, give each team a common wage limit, and they can compete on a level playing field.

Anyone who falls for the line that FFP was introduced for the good of the game will also believe that the 2022 World Cup was awarded to Qatar for footballing reasons, and that the likes of Zidane and Ferguson endorsed it because it was good for players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By taking that approach you are effectively endorsing the likes of United, Barcelona and Real being uncatchable in perpetuity.
No, that is the approach of FFP. I understand that you don't like it, and I don't disagree with you. But at the moment, those are the rules, and I don't see the problem with allowing genuine sponsorship deals and not allowing fake ones.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
what is the point of fining a club 50 million for losing money, surely its just going to make them lose more money, besides to a club as rich as citeh, 50 million is like a tenner.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No, that is the approach of FFP. I understand that you don't like it, and I don't disagree with you. But at the moment, those are the rules, and I don't see the problem with allowing genuine sponsorship deals and not allowing fake ones.

....and FFP was brought in to appease the established clubs and prevent them breaking away to form their own league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here