Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City Fans (some) refuse to pay £62 for this Sundays match at the Emirates v Arsenal

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Too little too late. Surely the simple solution is an FA cap. Say: a maximum price of £40 for prem tickets £30 for champ and so on. With clubs being allowed to charge whatever the hell they like on 30% of their seats but the cap applying to the rest.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes. I meant most premier league clubs, lower league clubs would struggle

So was I. Even in the Premier League most clubs struggle to sell home games don't they ? Let alone sell a further two thousand or so allocated to the away fans.

Anyway - if that is what they want charging £62 for a ticket is a pretty good way of doing it. Who can afford those prices on a weekly basis ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I've pretty much stopped going to chelsea now, I was logging in to book my man utd at home tickets, the cheapest price was £59 , i had a sort of epiphany, its just way too much for an hour and a half ,i realised i could watch it in my local , pay for all my beers , have a curry on the way home and probably still have change out of £59 , and there would probably be a better atmosphere in my local !! i stopped the booking, and have only been a couple of times this season.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
The FA need to do something. Makes you wonder if its better to stay in the championship

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair, we all saw this coming.

As someone said above, the working class have been forced out of the grounds into the pubs to see their teams ( called plastics by many on here) and with the rise of the family/ corporate and yes, the type of fan, who have the money to buy the most expensive seats at £80 odd per month, you can see the argument of the likes of barber.

So who does this benefit? The jcl generation of people who have the money to pay for watching the foreign players who seemly we all need to compete with other teams full of foreign players.

It's not the game a lot of us were brought up on.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
To be fair, we all saw this coming.

As someone said above, the working class have been forced out of the grounds into the pubs to see their teams ( called plastics by many on here) and with the rise of the family/ corporate and yes, the type of fan, who have the money to buy the most expensive seats at £80 odd per month, you can see the argument of the likes of barber.

So who does this benefit? The jcl generation of people who have the money to pay for watching the foreign players who seemly we all need to compete with other teams full of foreign players.

It's not the game a lot of us were brought up on.
This 100% , having said that, i thought that the £37 in total it cost for me and my son to go to the newcastle game on saturday was reasonable , although i know a lot on here were complaining about the pricing.

guardian:

Manchester city have returned close to a third of their allocation for sunday's premier league match at arsenal, after supporters balked at the £62 ticket price.

The premier league champions were given a 3,000 allocation but 912 were sent back and are being sold by arsenal. The match at the emirates, which kicks off at 4pm and is live on sky sports, is classed as category a and therefore carries the highest ticket cost for arsenal's premier league games.

The london club's own supporters have become increasingly vocal about pricing – arsenal's tickets in an equivalent area on sunday, plus the returned away tickets, will also cost £62.

City have sought to play down the affair and arsenal insisted they were close to selling out the remaining tickets. Kevin parker, the general secretary of the manchester city supporters club, said: "it's the most expensive amount i can ever remember paying for a ticket in my life, for a sunday afternoon game which is live on satellite television.

"and it's not as if finding a television to watch the game on is difficult nowadays. Even if the game wasn't live, to charge £62 to watch it is ridiculous, but to charge that amount when people can see it live on tv is crazy.

"it just shows that football clubs are out of touch with reality. If city supporters are travelling on a supporters' club coach it will cost £30 per person. That's £92 before they have even done anything; add in a programme, food, drink and you are looking at £125-£130 per person.

"there are a combination of things at play here. Some people cannot afford the price, especially as it is just after christmas, and there are some who just refuse to pay £62. This is also the first time in a long while that i remember city fans saying to me they could pay the money but are refusing to do so. That is a brave decision to take. Soon, though, fans will vote more strongly with their feet and clubs like arsenal will have to decide what to do about ticket prices."

before the start of the 2011-12 season, a number of arsenal supporters bodies contacted the club to point out their unhappiness over admission prices. A survey carried out in october confirmed arsenal have the most expensive adult matchday ticket (£126) and season ticket (£1,955) in england's top flight.

The arsenal supporters' trust has also lobbied the club for two years over ticket prices. In 2011 the group expressed "concern that loyal arsenal fans are being priced out of attending matches. The current economic climate means many fans are suffering.

" arsenal's commercial revenue is £50m less than manchester united, annually. This is the area where the club should prioritise raising extra money, rather than increasing ticket prices."

but so far this season arsenal have the second-highest average home crowd in the league at 60,094, more than 10,000 ahead of newcastle united in third. The emirates has a quoted capacity of 60,361.

Ivan gazidis, the arsenal chief executive, defended the entry costs last october by saying: "we've seen ticket prices rise across the game. This isn't just a football issue. If you look at the prices of entertainment across the board they have gone up significantly in recent years and clearly we now have an environment where people are economically challenged.

"what we have done is try to hold those prices down. For example our capital one cup prices have been £10 for adults and £5 for children.

"what we know, because of the tremendous take-up, is that there are people who want to watch top-class football but for whom price is a factor. That is something we have to be continually conscious of."

can'y believe the city fans are moaning do they want to go back to withdean,we don't need these moaners plenty wanting season tickets at the amex,blooming jcl's??? Probably palace trolls :moo:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmm have they complained about the amount they pay for and to their players? No, thought not. Their club is one of the reasons footballers are paid so much and why clubs have to charge a fortune for tickets. Trying to keep up with Man U, City and Chelsea without unlimited funding inevitably leads to higher ticket prices.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The FA need to do something. Makes you wonder if its better to stay in the championship

That is assuming you think that £36 at Ipswich for example is good value. I have voted with my feet this season and not been to a single away game.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"What we have done is try to hold those prices down. For example our Capital One Cup prices have been £10 for adults and £5 for children.

Which is about right to watch the youth team play.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Guardian:

"And it's not as if finding a television to watch the game on is difficult nowadays. Even if the game wasn't live, to charge £62 to watch it is ridiculous, but to charge that amount when people can see it live on TV is crazy.

"It just shows that football clubs are out of touch with reality. If City supporters are travelling on a supporters' club coach it will cost £30 per person. That's £92 before they have even done anything; add in a programme, food, drink and you are looking at £125-£130 per person.

/QUOTE]

And you don't even get a full a 90 mins of football for your 62 notes. I'd want a stopping clock and the full 90 mins......make them earn their money!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Whether you like it or not, the laws of supply and demand apply.

Indeed they do, and lets see how many of these JCL's are demanding tickets at brighton/chelsea/man city/man utd if our respective benefactors pull out or debts cannot be serviced causing players to be sold and teams to go into tailspin, the only really decent atmospheres involving chelsea these days are at away matches , where you get the diehards , the last really fantastic atmosphere i can remember at chelsea was when we came from 2 down to win 4-2 against liverpool in the cup in 1997, i have no wish to annoy brighton fans , but the atmosphere at the amex , in all the games i have attended is pitiful compared to the atmospheres that i can remember at the old goldstone and stamford bridge as i said as late as 1997, i dont doubt most clubs are the same.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
That is assuming you think that £36 at Ipswich for example is good value. I have voted with my feet this season and not been to a single away game.

That's the reason I did not go , do not mind paying for palace.but I will not pay more then£30 for an away game

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Whether you like it or not, the laws of supply and demand apply.

Not really. If footballers were not paid such a ridiculous wage for kicking a ball around then the entire cost of tickets could be lowered across the leagues.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
But it works both ways.

Clubs have "effectively" said, 'are you prepared to pay extra to have better players' and the answer is 'yes'.

The only way to change things is to vote with your feet.

What I don't quite understand is why ticket prices rise so much upon entering the Premier League as it becomes a smaller part of the overall income. The TV money/merchandising etc. pays for more. Money from ticket sales in the 2/3/4th divisions is critical, in the 1st it isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here