Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City banned from European competitions for next 2 seaons

Charlie Muggins

May 21, 2018
The banning of Manchester City from the Champions League for the next two seasons is an astonishing, totally unexpected and completely justified development which gives me hope for the future of football as a truly competitive sport. A hope which I had more or less abandoned, I must say.

But it must go far further. We need a spending limit for all clubs in the top echelons of their leagues, worldwide, fixed at a level which means 'owners' with bottomless pockets (like those currently in charge at Man City) will walk away from the game. Their effect on it is beyond contemptible, and has reduced most competitive leagues worldwide to a meaningless, money-driven, predictable, farcical procession.

For real football talent, at player and managerial level, to have meaning, there should be a worldwide financial spending ceiling set which is attainable by all those in the top divisions of the major leagues. Then the real arbiters of success in the game will be player skill and managerial ability.

It most certainly isn't right now.
I never though I'd say this, but well done UEFA.

Absolutely spot on Attila

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
The City fans certainly won't be respecting the Champions League anthem now!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's a ridiculous statement by them. What do they expect to happen! It is the governing body of the competition they elect to be involved in. Of course the process is going to be the investigation by the governing body who will determine the punishment. Once that stage is complete, as it appears it is, it is then up to one of the parties as to whether they take it further to, for example, CAS. What's the alternative to this, every single disciplinary case going to a civil court.

It is. I don't see what else they expect, it's like Richard Keogh suggesting he didn't get a fair hearing in his appeal from Derby because it was Derby investigating Derby's decision, or Poyet with Brighton. It's process. They just seem to be trying to make it seem more sinister as if they might win over neutrals with a PR campaign when neutrals know they've put all that money into City.

I don't know that they've ever denied they were genuine, but they refused to comment on them, refused to cooperate with UEFA initial response to the Der Spiegel article (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/15/manchester-city-refuse-comment-uefa-ffp-allegations), but they did say the emails were 'hacked or stolen' and taken out of context.

(Just to be clear, I'm not defending man city, or suggesting their position is correct, just trying to answer the question of what they are arguing.)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It is. I don't see what else they expect, it's like Richard Keogh suggesting he didn't get a fair hearing in his appeal from Derby because it was Derby investigating Derby's decision, or Poyet with Brighton. It's process. They just seem to be trying to make it seem more sinister as if they might win over neutrals with a PR campaign when neutrals know they've put all that money into City.

I don't know that they've ever denied they were genuine, but they refused to comment on them, refused to cooperate with UEFA initial response to the Der Spiegel article (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/15/manchester-city-refuse-comment-uefa-ffp-allegations), but they did say the emails were 'hacked or stolen' and taken out of context.

(Just to be clear, I'm not defending man city, or suggesting their position is correct, just trying to answer the question of what they are arguing.)

And what could be their reason for not cooperating! I would suggest they know they are bang to rights so it becomes a damage limitations exercise. Uefa ban them for two seasons and CAS reduce it to one. Had Uefa only banned for one year then CAS would probably reduce it further.

However, rather like Chelsea and all that effort to overturn their transfer ban and then not signing anyone, wouldn't it be poetic justice if City do get the ban overturned that they then fail to qualify!!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I just hope no one tries to exploit all this by writing a book about football finance and some of City’s activities
83b2dd4d58782f3b6d908f58f7ef819c.jpg
d97597411020f72960abb0b27f0caa15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
On appeal ban suspended for 2 years, fine reduced to €8000. UEFA folds again !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just waiting for the old Saracens "but it was only a few ADMIN errors" defence to surface :rolleyes:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bit worried about what this means for Sheffield United. They now have a reslistic chance of qualifying for the Champions League! They are going to be soooo up for beating us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bit worried about what this means for Sheffield United. They now have a reslistic chance of qualifying for the Champions League! They are going to be soooo up for beating us.

They'll beat us anyway. Half our squad have been high as kites for the last week or so.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't feel sorry for Man City, but it does show the FFP rules are really working to keep a traditional cartel of clubs at the top.

Those clubs are all "guilty" of wild financial excesses in the past before the rules came in. Any other club that tries to break into the "loop" of perpetual Champions League qualification success is barred from doing so.

It's ****ed.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I assume PSG will get the same sentance and then they'll look into Wolves? Leeds watching with interest?

My bet is Citeh pay a nominal fee and nothing else happens.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I assume PSG will get the same sentance and then they'll look into Wolves? Leeds watching with interest?

My bet is Citeh pay a nominal fee and nothing else happens.

Doubt it.

I think UEFA are keen to clip Premiership wings and send a message. They have history of being very tough with English clubs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
TalkSport has a so called expert On discussing now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here