Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City banned from European competitions for next 2 seaons

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
With no European football to distract, I think they’d be nailed on PL Champions 2021 and 2022. A juicy week’s rest between fixtures all season for their £900m squad.

The big players won't hang around waiting for 2 seasons for this. The loyalty for the most part isn't there at the top level.

Added to that, I'd still back Liverpool to turn them over when they met, as they did earlier this season.

City can't even hold on to a last-minute lead at home to Palace.

They're clearly not the best side currently.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't there a bit of fuss recently with reports that Pep could walk away from Man City in the summer due to a clause in his contract. It was previously dismissed as something that would happen, but with this news it might still come to pass.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The big players won't hang around waiting for 2 seasons for this. The loyalty for the most part isn't there at the top level.

Added to that, I'd still back Liverpool to turn them over when they met, as they did earlier this season.

City can't even hold on to a last-minute lead at home to Palace.

They're clearly not the best side currently.

I think they’ll circle the wagons (the evil football world is against us, those huge sponsorship deals with family of Mansour are at open market value, blah, blah), keep all the players on £200k a year and have tunnel vision for domestic silverware.

But I’d rather you were correct.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://www.mancity.com/news/club-news/club-news/2020/february/manchester-city-club-statement

Manchester City is disappointed but not surprised by today’s announcement by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber. The Club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

In December 2018, the UEFA Chief Investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun. The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked UEFA process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver. The Club has formally complained to the UEFA Disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.

Simply put, this is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA. With this prejudicial process now over, the Club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Confident it won’t

If they broken FFP they’ve broken it

AC have been banned for it and they are a bigger club.

But the difference is AC’s ownership situation has been a mess for years and in the end they weren’t that bothered about being in the Champions League as they almost needed to start from scratch so didn’t fight the ban as hard in the end. City desperately need it.

I’ll be amazed if the ban remains for 2 years as they’ll just push harder for a breakaway league and UEFA will shit themselves and reduce the punishment.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Fantastic news. And, justice.

I don’t quite get City’s defence here. Can someone explain to me what their case is exactly?

Surely it’s obvious to all they’ve had vast vast wealth pumped into that club. They’ve been the biggest spenders in Europe etc. How can they possibly defend this?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With no European football to distract, I think they’d be nailed on PL Champions 2021 and 2022. A juicy week’s rest between fixtures all season for their £900m squad.

Don't forget they will lose the champions league income which, over two seasons could potentially be €160m which will have a knock effect on their FFP targets!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don’t quite get City’s defence here. Can someone explain to me what their case is exactly?

It seems to me to be two fold:

1) The basis of the investigation was hacked emails, and thus that puts UEFA's case on shaky ground - how do they know they weren't just fake emails by some criminal with an agenda? (this angle was suggested on SSN, rather than by their statement)

2) To borrow legal terminology, the case was investigated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA, and Judged by UEFA, can the judging be considered fair and even handed if the entity judging, is also the entity prosecuting? As such, was it really a fair trial?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

1) The basis of the investigation was hacked emails, and thus that puts UEFA's case on shaky ground - how do they know they weren't just fake emails by some criminal with an agenda? (this angle was suggested on SSN, rather than by their statement)

I don't believe City have ever stated the emails weren't genuine.

2) To borrow legal terminology, the case was investigated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA, and Judged by UEFA, can the judging be considered fair and even handed if the entity judging, is also the entity prosecuting? As such, was it really a fair trial?

It's a ridiculous statement by them. What do they expect to happen! It is the governing body of the competition they elect to be involved in. Of course the process is going to be the investigation by the governing body who will determine the punishment. Once that stage is complete, as it appears it is, it is then up to one of the parties as to whether they take it further to, for example, CAS. What's the alternative to this, every single disciplinary case going to a civil court.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Interesting perspective, thanks.

But if that is their best case I don’t see how it’s a case at all. The huge vast, literally size of a country vast amount of money that has been pumped in to City in those first couple of years is blatant and obvious to all.

You certainly don’t need to hack any emails to see that. I suppose legally you need the emails to help seal a case.

They get a lot of stick (rightly), but I think UEFA have done a great job here. Fair play for growing some balls and putting a stop to cheating. Because that’s exactly what City have done. And then they have the gall to try and start a breakaway league. 2 years is lenient as far as I’m concerned.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fantastic news. And, justice.

Surely it’s obvious to all they’ve had vast vast wealth pumped into that club. They’ve been the biggest spenders in Europe etc. How can they possibly defend this?

Allegedly, Man City illicitly pay for players image rights through a chain of overseas entities, ultimately funded by Mansour. They therefore beat other clubs to signings by the offer of greater rewards, whilst not showing those additional payments in their UK company accounts in clear breach of FFP. To the tune of many £10m’s per season. Man City’s secretly orchestrated this under their Operation Longbow. All covered in an informative online series at www.spiegel.de .

Their defences seem to be that all this was uncovered illicitly and that UEFA shouldn’t be the investigator, judge and jury. CAS will be theindependent adjudicator.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The banning of Manchester City from the Champions League for the next two seasons is an astonishing, totally unexpected and completely justified development which gives me hope for the future of football as a truly competitive sport. A hope which I had more or less abandoned, I must say.

But it must go far further. We need a spending limit for all clubs in the top echelons of their leagues, worldwide, fixed at a level which means 'owners' with bottomless pockets (like those currently in charge at Man City) will walk away from the game. Their effect on it is beyond contemptible, and has reduced most competitive leagues worldwide to a meaningless, money-driven, predictable, farcical procession.

For real football talent, at player and managerial level, to have meaning, there should be a worldwide financial spending ceiling set which is attainable by all those in the top divisions of the major leagues. Then the real arbiters of success in the game will be player skill and managerial ability.

It most certainly isn't right now.
I never though I'd say this, but well done UEFA.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There is some much money and therefore corruption in football, it’s almost time pointless trying to pretend it’s sport anymore. I love the report talks about how UEFA chairman Michel Platini found City guilty last time...What the chief crook found the wannabe one was out of order?!!

Give me strength!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here