Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malkay will be in charge for Charlton.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Post-game quote from Oscar, reported by Sky -
"I can only say good things about the fans. They are clever fans; we have a mid-table budget and we are fighting for a high position. They are enjoying the way of the club."

Not seen the 'mid-table budget' bit reported much. Mind you, I haven't really looked that hard.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
As Lloyd Grosman would say let' look at the facts. One can BHA buy itself out of The Championship ? No,so what are the other options ? Go for a Merry-go-round manager well i don't think so. Last season BHA decided to 'go Barcelona' that means O/G has to bring those in the youth set-up and that takes years to achieve. No point in sacking him lets see what he has in store during the close season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
But he is right though isn't he, we do have a mid-table budget, probably low mid table.

I agree with the overall sentiment of not getting on Oscar's back. But not the highlighted bit. Our league position after each game in our first year back in the championship:

3, 2, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 5, 9, 12, 10, 11, 10, 11, 11, 7, 6, 7, 9, 11, 16, 13, 12, 10, 11, 10, 8, 9, 9, 7, 7, 7, 5, 8, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10

The nearest we came to 'flirting with relegation' was 16th, and at one point we were 1st

This season:

15, 19, 16, 10, 13, 14, 13, 10, 12, 12, 14, 14, 16, 12, 10, 9, 9, 11, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 6, 7, 8, 9, 8, 7, 8, 8, 8, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9

We have twice been as low as 16th, and even were lower at one point. We have never been higher than 6th. If you are counting 16th (a clear five places above the relegation zone), for one week only, then yes, we have flirted with relegation this season. (If you take an average of our positions after each game, that first season we averaged 7th, this season we have averaged 10th)

Also, there was almost two months between the Premier League Liverpool 6-1 (Feb 19th) and the West Ham 6-0 (Apr 14th) so not exactly quick succession.

Statistics are great but they can be one dimensional as it doesn't really paint the whole picture! Bit picky about the 2 month gap but I can forgive the error of my generalist ways (said with tongue in cheek).

I also don't think that being 19th in august is flirting with relegation compared to the 16th place on the 31 dec12 with the abject defeat at Coventry (a match I have to say was probably the worst performance I have ever witnessed) and not much to look forward to with Billy Paynter leading the front line and Ryan Harley cemented in the midfield (albeit for a v short period of time).

My glass is half full and I am positive it will turn around. Remember, it took the likes of Leicester (who will go up) a few years to get to where they are now; Rome was not built in a day and it certainly wasn't built on sand.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Statistics are great but they can be one dimensional as it doesn't really paint the whole picture! Bit picky about the 2 month gap but I can forgive the error of my generalist ways (said with tongue in cheek).

I also don't think that being 19th in august is flirting with relegation compared to the 16th place on the 31 dec12 with the abject defeat at Coventry (a match I have to say was probably the worst performance I have ever witnessed) and not much to look forward to with Billy Paynter leading the front line and Ryan Harley cemented in the midfield (albeit for a v short period of time).

My glass is half full and I am positive it will turn around. Remember, it took the likes of Leicester (who will go up) a few years to get to where they are now; Rome was not built in a day and it certainly wasn't built on sand.

I was just highlighting a few historical errors, but now I find it difficult to square the person who

-argues that being 16th with half the season remaining is 'flirting with relegation' because he was feeling negative over the team selection, performances and results, and has such ill will to a manager who spoke of building a squad capable of promotion to and survival in the premier league, who gave voice to the club philosophy of playing the same way at every level of the club (was it his idea? I don't know, but it was something that Poyet was one of the first I remember to speak of at the Albion), that he refuses to use his name

with the person who

-is ranting about people being negative about a manager on the back of what they see as poor team selection, performances and results, defending said manager as he wants to build a team capable of promotion to and survival in the premier league, who speaks of playing the same way at every level of the club

I was just highlighting a few historical errors, but now I find it difficult to square the person who

-argues that being 16th with half the season remaining is 'flirting with relegation' because he was feeling negative over the team selection, performances and results, and has such ill will to a manager who spoke of building a squad capable of promotion to and survival in the premier league, who gave voice to the club philosophy of playing the same way at every level of the club (was it his idea? I don't know, but it was something that Poyet was one of the first I remember to speak of at the Albion), that he refuses to use his name

with the person who

-is ranting about people being negative about a manager on the back of what they see as poor team selection, performances and results, defending said manager as he wants to build a team capable of promotion to and survival in the premier league, who speaks of playing the same way at every level of the club

I was merely making the point of where we were to where we are now, as in 'not flirting with relegation' and my original point of 'at one stage' which you so kindly highlighted as a basis to your statistical post (it was hardly an argument to which I based my 'rant'). On another note, I did not mention he who shall not be named due to the nature of his antics (of which I was suspicious of for some time) during the latter stages of last season and no loyalty to our club. the other comparison I was making (Paynter et al) was that resources were being thrown at 'him' and FFP was not kicking in. All adds to the 'perfect storm' we are enduring presently. Between him and Oscar, there is no comparison IMO.

I think I know which side of the square I am sitting on.

Anyway, endeavour is about to start and my reply to your post was not a direct attempt to rile you.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
But he is right though isn't he, we do have a mid-table budget, probably low mid table.

I'd hazard a guess at our wage bill this season being more than (if not similar to) that of Derby, Burnley, and Ipswich, all of whom are above us.

In fact I doubt our wages (THIS SEASON) are that much less than Leicester's, when you compare each position to one another.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'd hazard a guess at our wage bill this season being more than (if not similar to) that of Derby, Burnley, and Ipswich, all of whom are above us.

In fact I doubt our wages (THIS SEASON) are that much less than Leicester's, when you compare each position to one another.

If so, then the previous management team over paid for the current top earners, Oscar however has had a small budget to play with.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm happy with our status and position in the league although I do have my doubts about Oscar's ability to motivate - watching from the west lower on Saturday it looked like Oscar was preparing to go on holiday not drive the lads on with motivational words and support. I don't mind not making the play offs but what I do mind is the general lack of entertainment on display - no I don't mean Gully's girls but I do mean GOALS.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but if we lost a few 4-3 or 3-2 this season I would be happier than consistently seeing us struggle to get a goal or even test the opposing keeper! For my nearly £600 ST this season I reckon that each home goal is costing me near on £24 each !!! IMO I honestly think that a new manager or coach is required in the summer if we're serious about changing our tactical approach to games for next season.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fact is whether you want a change in Manager or not. This team is finished, the back five are aging, the midfield lacks imagination and especially pace, and the forwards have far more questions than positives, fitness? Can they play together? Are they good enough?

I voted for keeping Oscar in last weeks poll and my gut feeling is the same. However, regardless of who is the Manager next season, they are going to have a major rebuilding job and will need both financial backing and patience from the board and the fans, because this is going to be the start of another minimum 2/3 year plan.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm happy with our status and position in the league although I do have my doubts about Oscar's ability to motivate - watching from the west lower on Saturday it looked like Oscar was preparing to go on holiday not drive the lads on with motivational words and support. I don't mind not making the play offs but what I do mind is the general lack of entertainment on display - no I don't mean Gully's girls but I do mean GOALS.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but if we lost a few 4-3 or 3-2 this season I would be happier than consistently seeing us struggle to get a goal or even test the opposing keeper! For my nearly £600 ST this season I reckon that each home goal is costing me near on £24 each !!! IMO I honestly think that a new manager or coach is required in the summer if we're serious about changing our tactical approach to games for next season.

To be fair to Oscar, he inherited from Poyet a side with all forwards injured, the best central midfielder in the club "injured" (well until it was transfer window time), and the best left back at the club had gone as well. I think he has done a good job until recently but how this set have players have messed things up recently then I can understand why people look back to that spineless performance against palace and wonder about the fight of this current squad

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Definitely would be good to be more adventurous in these key home games but then we have two wingers that just cannot seem to last a full match. True, Lua Lua rarely gets the chance but how often in a full 90 minutes has he done what he does so well when he comes off the bench? I certainly think Oscar would help himself by playing Kaz from the start though - if only because it might prove that he tends to have less impact when all his opponents are fresh too, and that he's usually shot by about an hour. On the upside, we COULD be a goal or two up by then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair to Oscar, he inherited from Poyet a side with all forwards injured, the best central midfielder in the club "injured" (well until it was transfer window time), and the best left back at the club had gone as well. I think he has done a good job until recently but how this set have players have messed things up recently then I can understand why people look back to that spineless performance against palace and wonder about the fight of this current squad

Ulloa and Crofts were fit last July when Oscar started.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think the fact that so many players are out of contract this June means that Oscar may not be happy with the squad he has/inherited.
Seems to me a shake up is a coming.
I wonder whether Jones is his chosen number 2 as well.
Another season, a season where it is his team, might shed a light on how good Oscar is. I believe he should be given that chance.

cyberleech

May 21, 2013
Where we are today, and after the debacle of Gus's departure, I'd say 7/10 for Oscar this season. So can't see any grounds for conjecture about a new manager. Only concern was the capitulation against Boro on Saturday, and the wistful musing on what would have happened this season with Bridcutt, Barnes. I think defence is fine, just lacking punch in the midfield. Ince not the finished article yet, and David Lopez too inconsistent.

PS - Imagine if David Lopez had not been subbed, and taken the penalty on Sat.... On such small margins....

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
So this is going have happened by next Saturday will it? I think not. Personally I think we need to give Oscar a chance by letting him bring in some quality instead of having to make do with the like of Rodney, Andrews and Lingard.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not revealing source or reason.

Just stating.

Personally I can't wait.

So, has he arrived at the AMEX yet? If he hasn't, there's much time to prepare before the game on Saturday...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here