Make Britain British...Channel 4

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Hooray for Clarke Carlisle!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I ended up there rather than choosing it, and I had absolutely no idea what it was like before I went there.

It was in the early and mid 90s. Don't get me wrong I had a laugh and even lived there for a couple of years after studying.

Plus it was cheap. Very very cheap.

Yes. It was the cheapness that attracted me - I reckoned my money would go a long way. And when I went up for my interview, I clocked the number of curry houses, saw their prices and reckoned I'd landed in some sort of curry heaven.

But Bradford had plenty going for it then - the textile industry was still there. There'd been some money put in for the new library, the Richard Dunn leisure centre and the Film and Photography museum - it all changed in just a couple of decades.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I have the misfortune of currently living in Bradford, i live in the Idle area which is one of the alright bits to be honest. I only moved there because other areas were unaffordable to me at the time. Having grown up in 'Posh' Ilkley it was a bit of a step back so to speak...

The main reason the City has gone so downhill (besides the riots) is the death of the city centre - they kind of go hand in hand i guess. Half of it was demolished and a new (fairly large) Westfield 'all singing all dancing' centre was due to be put up to start the regeneration - that was in about 2005, but it all stalled at the time of the recession and is now a massive hole in the centre of town. It is back on track apparently and should breath new life into the place by about 2015! To be fair they're doing some bits to other parts of the centre now and with some stunning buildings it does have potential to be a very nice place if done up properly.

Another BIG problem for Bradford is it's proximity to Leeds. If people want to go shopping they go to Leeds, if they want to go out drinking it's Leeds and if people want resataurants again the choice and quality is so much better in Leeds. It's only trumping card are the curry houses and the Alhambra but thats about it!

I do hope that in time it gets back to some sort of half decent place. Bit of a cliche, but the natives are a very friendly bunch and deserve better. However it's going to take years to sort out and if i'm still living in a BD postcode i'll be a very bitter man indeed! ALso have a soft spot for City, used to go their with dad, a club with real potential, decent support and season tickets at £250 can't be bad!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have the misfortune of currently living in Bradford, i live in the Idle area which is one of the alright bits to be honest.

Can you still get "Idle Working Men's Club" T-shirts?

The proximity to Leeds is an interesting point. In the late 70s when I was there, there was not so much difference between Bradford and Leeds - Leeds was bigger and had better shops but for a night out there was little to choose between them. But as Leeds got more and more prosperous, Bradford went more downhill - the contrast is stark now.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010

The proximity to Leeds is an interesting point. In the late 70s when I was there, there was not so much difference between Bradford and Leeds - Leeds was bigger and had better shops but for a night out there was little to choose between them. But as Leeds got more and more prosperous, Bradford went more downhill - the contrast is stark now.

Yes, apparently you can get them and they get orders from all over world for membership and branded gear!

I agree in the early - mid 80's both cities were on a par with each other and then everything just went to Leeds and Bradford got forgotton about. Maybe a case of 'managed decline' a la Liverpool?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

When I was last in Leeds I was chatting to someone about the regeneration and how Leeds has changed. He told me "it's the same wankers though, they just wear suits now"

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I have the misfortune of currently living in Bradford, i live in the Idle area which is one of the alright bits to be honest. I only moved there because other areas were unaffordable to me at the time. Having grown up in 'Posh' Ilkley it was a bit of a step back so to speak...

The main reason the City has gone so downhill (besides the riots) is the death of the city centre - they kind of go hand in hand i guess. Half of it was demolished and a new (fairly large) Westfield 'all singing all dancing' centre was due to be put up to start the regeneration - that was in about 2005, but it all stalled at the time of the recession and is now a massive hole in the centre of town. It is back on track apparently and should breath new life into the place by about 2015! To be fair they're doing some bits to other parts of the centre now and with some stunning buildings it does have potential to be a very nice place if done up properly.

Another BIG problem for Bradford is it's proximity to Leeds. If people want to go shopping they go to Leeds, if they want to go out drinking it's Leeds and if people want resataurants again the choice and quality is so much better in Leeds. It's only trumping card are the curry houses and the Alhambra but thats about it!

I do hope that in time it gets back to some sort of half decent place. Bit of a cliche, but the natives are a very friendly bunch and deserve better. However it's going to take years to sort out and if i'm still living in a BD postcode i'll be a very bitter man indeed! ALso have a soft spot for City, used to go their with dad, a club with real potential, decent support and season tickets at £250 can't be bad!

My Missus teaches in Idle, Immanual College. Idle Working Mens club always makes me laugh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here