Main line train trouble apparently

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I was wondering this myself.

But when it comes to the trains, I am tired of their "please bear with us, we're in this together" bullshit rhetoric. They are utterly turd at the best of times, so goodwill went out of the window long ago.

And this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So so so so so so WRONG on so many counts wrong.

You will find EXPERIENCED commuters use all available space. Its the numpties who fill up the "doorways" on the way to Falmer that get my goat as the train pulls away with EMPTY carriages because everyone is standing by the ****ing doors.

As someone who travels through Falmer every day, I whole-heartedly agree.

This problem is made worse around this time of year when the universities have their new in-take starting. It's frightening that the supposed cream of Britain's intellectual future are so gormlessly self-absorbed with their own space issues (i.e. their own universes don't extend to more than 3 feet around them, rendering everyone else helpless to their door-blocking idiocy), that it doesn't occur to them to move down inside the carriage.

Not without tutting, and shooting you a look of Kevin & Perry-type so-unfairness.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As someone who travels through Falmer every day, I whole-heartedly agree.

This problem is made worse around this time of year when the universities have their new in-take starting. It's frightening that the supposed cream of Britain's intellectual future are so gormlessly self-absorbed with their own space issues (i.e. their own universes don't extend to more than 3 feet around them, rendering everyone else helpless to their door-blocking idiocy), that it doesn't occur to them to move down inside the carriage.

Not without tutting, and shooting you a look of Kevin & Perry-type so-unfairness.

Same with my own personal bugbear Reigate Sixth Form College.This morning they ALL attempted to stand by the doors in the lead carriage of the only train going to Reigate for about an hour. Then they looked AMAZED at being asked to move up. Then when everyone gets off the 10% of them that actually have a working ticket can't put it through the barrier which has the slightly odd feature of only working half the time. Frankly I'm amazed there's a GCSE between them. It takes a good year for them to learn, after which half of them leave to be replaced by an even more clueless set of newcomers.

It's a good job that gun laws in this country are so strict.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Because more often than not there are seats somewhere else on the train, but everyone just gets on at the same place in the middle of the train instead of moving down.

If your too lazy to look for a seat, then you can get fined for all I care.

B*llocks. As stated, when its rammed, there is no way to get to another carriage. Plus a lot of the crowding is of the company's making. If you have half the stations on the line too short to accept a "London" train, but you don't have the brains to SPREAD THE CUSTOMERS OUT, then crowding is inevitable. If the FRONT 4 carriages call at Lancing then back the BACK 7 call at Portslade, etc etc. That way you don't get crowding in the front-most carriages.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Because more often than not there are seats somewhere else on the train, but everyone just gets on at the same place in the middle of the train instead of moving down.

Your arguement is bollocks. 1st class on Southern is at either end of the train. You say that people pile on in the middle, therefore nowhere near first class. Therefore, under your arguement any free seats in Standard will be at each end, i.e by 1st class. Therefore there can't be any free seats and that's why people use 1st when there's delays. This is how it should be and they shouldn't be fined.

However, your attitude and Beach Hut's post attest to, fining is easy money.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
B*llocks. As stated, when its rammed, there is no way to get to another carriage. Plus a lot of the crowding is of the company's making. If you have half the stations on the line too short to accept a "London" train, but you don't have the brains to SPREAD THE CUSTOMERS OUT, then crowding is inevitable. If the FRONT 4 carriages call at Lancing then back the BACK 7 call at Portslade, etc etc. That way you don't get crowding in the front-most carriages.

It would take the clueless halfwits about three years to reprogram the trains to do that. At Portslade the East bound platform has been 12 cars long for as long as I have lived and yet for a long time only the front 7 would open going East bound. They finally fixed the issue - or rather attempted to - by making the front ELEVEN open but not the last car. A few months after that they finally got it right.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Bobbins. They don't have to fine them, what's wrong with a simple and polite "Sorry Sir/Madam but there are seats free in carriages X, Y and Z if you wouldn't mind making your way there" ? Anyway, god knows why they are so precious about 1st class. I used to travel first class all the time, if you book in advance can be quite cheap but when I realised it's basically the same but with a napkin over the head rest I gave up on it. Besides, the doors were constantly sashaying open and closed with ghastly poor, overweight families squeezing through to get to cattle class. Waste of time.

On east coast, when a train is particularly full, an announcement goes out saying that standard tickets will be valid in the first class carriage. But then again, east coast provide by far and away the best service in the country (in my opinion) .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your arguement is bollocks. 1st class on Southern is at either end of the train. You say that people pile on in the middle, therefore nowhere near first class. Therefore, under your arguement any free seats in Standard will be at each end, i.e by 1st class. Therefore there can't be any free seats and that's why people use 1st when there's delays. This is how it should be and they shouldn't be fined.

However, your attitude and Beach Hut's post attest to, fining is easy money.
This is usually the case, but not always. First class carriages can be found in the middle of the train too, if you are joining a train where two separate services have been joined together - something that happens frequently at Redhill and Haywards Heath.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you actually claim for delay when someone has been hit by a train? Of all the reasons a train could be running late I would have thought this is the most understandable? Seems a bit mean spirited.

Fair point. But it has to be unconditional. Otherwise if rail companies were let off repayments for specific scenarios I'd would not put it past them to be economical with the truth or lie to save making these repayments.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
On east coast, when a train is particularly full, an announcement goes out saying that standard tickets will be valid in the first class carriage. But then again, east coast provide by far and away the best service in the country (in my opinion) .

I've been on trains when they have done this, very welcome it is too. East coast are good. Once they had a platform change, I was rushing to the new platform loaded with rucksack etc and went head over heels. I buggered up my knee summat rotten. My own fault entirely.They held the train for me and the girlfriend and led us to a first class seat where they got me a cuppa and checked on me from time to time. Very civilised indeed and much appreciated. At the other end I discovered i'd lost my ticket in the tumble and they printed me another free of charge. Very good service.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Is that the same people who leave the barriers open when there is a delay so that the ticket collectors do not get hassle from irate commuters when they get off !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you're confusing the Southern's Coastway East services with East Coast trains from London to York, Leeds, etc.

I know that thanks, but unless TLO was doing a 'funny' he's confusing 2 different train companies. As are you.

I wasn't doing a funny.

I did get confused with Coastway East and East Coast - not totally unreasonably, mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did get confused with Coastway East and East Coast - not totally unreasonably, mind.

Easily done given they are both shit. Reminds me of that old joke, what's the difference between a bucket of shit and Coastway East? The bucket.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Railway folk.....answer me this.....how can someone get hit by a train at 5am, be cleaned up by 8:30am yet still at 5pm the trains are still in a mess?

Is it any wonder people get fed up with the service and have a dig at people on the front line?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Railway folk.....answer me this.....how can someone get hit by a train at 5am, be cleaned up by 8:30am yet still at 5pm the trains are still in a mess?

Is it any wonder people get fed up with the service and have a dig at people on the front line?
*Still* a shambles?

FFS they are f**king GASH aren't they?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

In your previous post you berate people who 'only think about themselves' , yet here you are pontificating when you don't e end ****ing commute your self !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here