Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Seen that Argus article shared by at least 3 people on my Facebook today, the power of the media fear mongering. Utter joke :angry:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you may find that Hancock announcing the 'launch' of track and trace while the person responsible for it says it won't be operational for another month

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-28/coronavirus-test-and-trace-scheme-launch-government-covid-19/

and the Government refusing to release turnaround times for tests which are thought to be in excess of 5 Days

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/uk-coronavirus-test-trace-trace-results

together with no feedback whatsoever from the app that went into beta testing on the IOW a month ago, and still very high levels of infection and fatalities, compared to others who are easing lockdown.

Look back at the last two week's daily briefings and count how many times the scientists have said that we need 'an efficient testing system' in order for Track and Trace to work and for us to ease the lockdown. Meanwhile Hancock announces we are launching it, against all scientific advice, in order to try and get the discussion off of Cummings.

But maybe he was just in a 'bad mood' ???

you're getting hung up in the difference between starting a process and all features of process running optimally.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
and the Government refusing to release turnaround times for tests which are thought to be in excess of 5 Days

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/uk-coronavirus-test-trace-trace-results

Given the fast-moving nature of all of this, it strikes me as a little strange to reference an article that is over two weeks old now.

This only caught my eye, as Dido Harding gave what I thought were reasonable sounding stats in a daily briefing a few days back. I can't recall the specifics but it was something like 85% of tests returned within 24 hours and 95% within 48 hours, but there was a goal to further improve these turnaround times.

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
Not sure if its been mentioned that reports that we are easing lockdown but the Alert Level is remaining at 4. Makes no sense at all to me

[tweet]1266343539631435776[/tweet]

I thought the whole idea was we "followed the science" if they don't believe we should be reducing it how can we be easing lockdown

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not sure if its been mentioned that reports that we are easing lockdown but the Alert Level is remaining at 4. Makes no sense at all to me

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1266343539631435776

I thought the whole idea was we "followed the science" if they don't believe we should be reducing it how can we be easing lockdown
Yeah the thought occurred to me as well. The Welsh seem much more cautious than us. I hope we are right as I can't help wonder if the government are paying as much notice to the R figure as they were suggesting a couple of weeks ago.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is the R number a calculation, and if so what is it? Or is it inference based on .... well something like "We're seeing less new cases now so let's drop it by 0.4%"
It's a calculation based upon actual numbers I believe. Probably taken from hospital admissions?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Given the fast-moving nature of all of this, it strikes me as a little strange to reference an article that is over two weeks old now.

This only caught my eye, as Dido Harding gave what I thought were reasonable sounding stats in a daily briefing a few days back. I can't recall the specifics but it was something like 85% of tests returned within 24 hours and 95% within 48 hours, but there was a goal to further improve these turnaround times.

I don't believe there have been any statistics given by the government on turnaround statistics whatsoever, and last week I saw a high proportion were still postal tests which can't possibly come close to those figures. I've been trying to find some for the last few weeks and would be interested if you can find some references, as it's absolutely critical to track and trace

(If i remember rightly those figures you gave were targets, not actuals, but it would be very good news if I'm wrong) :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't believe there have been any statistics given by the government on turnaround whatsoever as I've tried to find some for the last few weeks. I would be interested if you can find some references, as it's absolutely critical to track and trace :thumbsup:

Plenty of references to the stats I've given - looks like Matt Hancock repeated them too, although I was out by 1% it seems, and I don't recall Dido Harding saying that stat was from drive-through centres.

"84% of the tests from the drive-through centres are returned within 24 hours, 95% of all tests are returned within 48 hours."

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a calculation based upon actual numbers I believe. Probably taken from hospital admissions?

Not so sure it's hospital admissions given that many never make it to hospital.

No matter, I was just curious seeing as so much is made of it, but I get the sense it's little more than a guesstimate. No doubt someone will correct me

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Plenty of references to the stats I've given - looks like Matt Hancock repeated them too, although I was out by 1% it seems, and I don't recall Dido Harding saying that stat was from drive-through centres.

"84% of the tests from the drive-through centres are returned within 24 hours, 95% of all tests are returned within 48 hours."

Sorry, i edited above, but a link would be great thanks, as I have only seen those as targets and don't see how that is physically possible given the proportion of posted tests.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe you have access to the same search engines as me.

BBC of course

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

On 27 May the prime minister committed to an aim of returning all coronavirus tests within 24 hours of the swab being taken.

Later that day the head of the Test and Trace programme, Dido Harding, said 84% of tests at drive-in centres were returned within 24 hours, and 95% within 48 hours. She didn't provide a figure for home testing kits or those provided at other settings.

The Department of Health and Social Care said no formal deadline had been set to achieve this.

Good news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here