Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Quite sickening reading that 60000 people are normally diagnosed with cancer every 2 months, yet the rate is down by 75%, as a family member of mine is currently in the situation of their treatment being paused because of this, anyone who has any concerns seriously go get it checked! Cancer hasn’t disappeared.

View attachment 124210

Personally think the balance is tipping towards more damage being done by the impact of the virus now.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Quite sickening reading that 60000 people are normally diagnosed with cancer every 2 months, yet the rate is down by 75%, as a family member of mine is currently in the situation of their treatment being paused because of this, anyone who has any concerns seriously go get it checked! Cancer hasn’t disappeared.

View attachment 124210

no , no it definitely hasn't has it....again , makes you wonder what the feck is actually going on....

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Personally think the balance is tipping towards more damage being done by the impact of the virus now.

Personally think that horse has long bolted mate, this is probably one of the reasons our excess death rate is so high as well - I’d imagine a lot of cancer care and treatments has suffered throughout this whole thing, the scale of cancer diagnosis being down by 75% really is a time bomb waiting to explode, horrendous.

75% less diagnosed cancer than usual, many treatments stopped during late March and many still haven’t resumed... just how many people is this going to end badly for, and when you consider this is just cancer what about transplants, heart problems ect, I’d be really intrigued to know whether our excess death stats show many more people dying of things unrelated to COVID due to the fear of going to the doctors or hospital.

I know I’m a broken record I mention all this every week but it’s simply not good enough, the virus may have been controlled but at what cost?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Personally think that horse has long bolted mate, this is probably one of the reasons our excess death rate is so high as well - I’d imagine a lot of cancer care and treatments has suffered throughout this whole thing, the scale of cancer diagnosis being down by 75% really is a time bomb waiting to explode, horrendous.

75% less diagnosed cancer than usual, many treatments stopped during late March and many still haven’t resumed... just how many people is this going to end badly for, and when you consider this is just cancer what about transplants, heart problems ect, I’d be really intrigued to know whether our excess death stats show many more people dying of things unrelated to COVID due to the fear of going to the doctors or hospital.

I know I’m a broken record I mention all this every week but it’s simply not good enough, the virus may have been controlled but at what cost?

I agree, I need to read up about how we reacted to the Hong Kong flu

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/abc7...virus-rates-during-pandemic-death-by/6201962/

You can’t blame the impact from covid for all of them, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see higher numbers elsewhere as job losses rise here, as it’s becoming clear that hundreds of thousands are in zombie jobs.

Yes cancer just doesn't stop and most people who find a new lump,new cough,or in pain for no apparent reason simply don't get it checked through fear of catching covid or not wanting to pester a doctor. I would still phone gp if I felt something not right probably not be able to have a face to face consultation but would certainly do something. Fortunately I haven't needed to but I am sure many thousands have.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there's unfortunatly considerable excess death not attributed to covid too. when you factor in the economic impact, we do seem to have done too much.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes cancer just doesn't stop and most people who find a new lump,new cough,or in pain for no apparent reason simply don't get it checked through fear of catching covid or not wanting to pester a doctor. I would still phone gp if I felt something not right probably not be able to have a face to face consultation but would certainly do something. Fortunately I haven't needed to but I am sure many thousands have.

I have been referred to an ENT consultant by my GP under the 'be seen in two weeks possible cancer rule' for a sore throat I have had for months. I have been informed by the hospital that the consultant will ring me on 4th June and ask me some questions re my condition. The 4th is the thirteenth day of the two weeks, so it will keep them within the rules. What happens after that, I shall have to wait and see, but I suppose the system is sort of working, maybe, maybe not!???
P.S. I wasn't seen by the GP either; I had a telephone consultation.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Allowed to meet groups of 6 outside from next week, providing social distancing is adhered too.

Is anyone going to tell them that’s happening everywhere already? :lolol:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Looking at the news conference, they reckon that less than 7% of the population have had the virus. Herd immunity seems to be a long way off at the moment.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
7% seems low but it’s the similarly low in Sweden they’ve gone for the relatively hands off approach and even main cities only seem to have between 10-15% which is similar to Madrid and Paris, they think that there’s something more complex going on with something called T-cells, I’m not a scientist but in layman terms I think it’s a way your body fights off infections without even needing an immune response, and these t-cells work similar to antibodies in that they remember certain viruses. Fairly long video but fairly interesting I thought.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdIIwNyB1AA&t=1464s

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Was I the only person that detected a slight panic on Chris Whittey's part with some of the answers Boris was giving to the questions!

It wasn't quite hold your horses, but was heading that way - Patrick Vallance made it quite clear they don't make policy, just offer advice! Clearly the government has its own agenda (thinking change in social distancing distance) - despite the apparent additional risks (up to 30% at 1 metre).

I have been referred to an ENT consultant by my GP under the 'be seen in two weeks possible cancer rule' for a sore throat I have had for months. I have been informed by the hospital that the consultant will ring me on 4th June and ask me some questions re my condition. The 4th is the thirteenth day of the two weeks, so it will keep them within the rules. What happens after that, I shall have to wait and see, but I suppose the system is sort of working, maybe, maybe not!???
P.S. I wasn't seen by the GP either; I had a telephone consultation.

I wish you all the best and fingers crossed that it's nothing serious, talking to a carer who I live with she is very scathing of gp's who she says earn 4 or 5 times more than nurses and care workers yet they don't even visit covid patients who have died. Not even to issue a death cert they instead send a community nurse to certify them. These nurses/carers have no choice to be face to face with covid patients.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Was I the only person that detected a slight panic on Chris Whittey's part with some of the answers Boris was giving to the questions!

It wasn't quite hold your horses, but was heading that way - Patrick Vallance made it quite clear they don't make policy, just offer advice! Clearly the government has its own agenda (thinking change in social distancing distance) - despite the apparent additional risks (up to 30% at 1 metre).

They should have spoken up then, or not agree to be there.

They had plenty of chances

By saying nothing they agree to it all

Jimmy Grimble

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gove chuckling away whilst lying on the radio the other day
Sunak tweeting about Nandos opening
Johnson bullshitting his way through liaison committee
Cummings DID break the rules, no apology

Now Hancock enjoys a chuckle on the telly.

[tweet]1265899137771474944[/tweet]

What a disgrace of a government. Highest death toll in the world and this lot are having a lovely time giggling their way through it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looking at the news conference, they reckon that less than 7% of the population have had the virus. Herd immunity seems to be a long way off at the moment.
7% with antibodies.

However, many more could have immunity memory cells which kick in to produce an immune response after a 2nd infection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here