Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
thats a distortion of the advise they were giving at the time. SAGE changed from "we need to do some measures" to "oh shit, we need to do more measures" about a week before the announced lockdown.

from SAGE minutes of 13th March.

hardly the urgency claimed.

oh and on 18th March...

i quite like that last one from a historical point of view, knowing what we know. there's another one in a following meeting that states borders dont need closing because the effect is negligible.
Thanks. That's saved me looking up the same things.

SAGE said on 18th March that it was time to close the schools; they were closed on the 20th. SAGE also said to wait and see if further measures were needed; that does not fit with Mr. Vallance's memory. I think SAGE's minutes were made public a bit after July, when Vallance was making his statement.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Or in the cup half full corner...

The UK's latest coronavirus data looks encouraging, a government adviser has said, amid a debate over whether to end restrictions in England on 21 June.
Sir John Bell, part of the government's vaccine taskforce, said there needed to be "balance" to the discussion.
"If we scamper down a rabbit hole every time we see a new variant we are going to spend a long time huddled away."
On Tuesday the UK announced zero Covid deaths for the first time since the pandemic began.

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
It seems there has been an outbreak of positive cases amongst the year 11s of a high school in the Worthing area. A small number of the cases are of the variant first detected in India. Public Health England are advising that all contacts of the pupils who tested positive are to be tested themselves to try and minimise the spread.

I assume this outbreak is the cause of the rise of positives in Worthing which yesterday stood at 22 cases per 100,000.

Hopefully the measures put in place will see the outbreak contained.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/02/boris-johnson-needs-to-stop-living-in-a-fantasy-and-delay-freedom-day-14698454/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Caroline Lucas tells it like the majority of the country are feeling. Surely we can't allow the madness of 21st June go ahead?

The fantasy is believing that a variant that the vaccine is provenly effective against and with every single vulnerable person injected should stop life starting again.

Even more of a fantasy to think the majority have the view that we should keep restrictions.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The fantasy is believing that a variant that the vaccine is provenly effective against and with every single vulnerable person injected should stop life starting again.

Even more of a fantasy to think the majority have the view that we should keep restrictions.

Effective against two jabs, pretty hopelessly ineffective against one. With much fewer than half the population fully protected after 2 jabs we should listen to Caroline I can and send the message to the government this is just not on. All opinion polls I have seen recently have shown much more support than opposition to at the very least delaying 21st June.

If the Government thinks vaccines are our ‘freedom pass’ and nothing else is needed, it is living in fantasy land

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Effective against two jabs, pretty hopelessly ineffective against one. With much fewer than half the population fully protected after 2 jabs we should listen to Caroline I can and send the message to the government this is just not on. All opinion polls I have seen recently have shown much more support than opposition to at the very least delaying 21st June.

If the Government thinks vaccines are our ‘freedom pass’ and nothing else is needed, it is living in fantasy land

And every vulnerable and old person has now had two jabs (who wants them) so I’m really struggling to understand your argument.

What is actually terrifying is the levels of Stockholm syndrome people like you are next level victims of.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/02/boris-johnson-needs-to-stop-living-in-a-fantasy-and-delay-freedom-day-14698454/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Caroline Lucas tells it like the majority of the country are feeling. Surely we can't allow the madness of 21st June go ahead?

evidence she speaks for the majority? of even her own constituency, dominated by young and hospitality industry.

i'd like to know if vaccines are not the "freedom pass" what is, perpetual rolling cycle of lockdown and half easing restrictions? short on suggestions.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Excess deaths in USA by year. Wait? What?

f79746effebbf5456b3f073b65c40dba.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
And every vulnerable and old person has now had two jabs (who wants them) so I’m really struggling to understand your argument.

What is actually terrifying is the levels of Stockholm syndrome people like you are next level victims of.

Read the article and listen to what Caroline Lucas has to say, it's difficult to find fault with anything. If we had her in charge the death toll would be significantly less.

Let's not repeat the mistakes we've made previously In the pandemic and for once let's be guided by data not dates.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Read the article and listen to what Caroline Lucas has to say, it's difficult to find fault with anything.
Now there, you are demonstrably and obviously wrong. you may find it difficult to disagree with her, but some of us find it quite easy.

It's difficult to disagree with her plans for what to do next, because she hasn't any. She wants to pause the release of lockdown, obviously - but for how long? Until more people (number not specified) have been vaccinated. Until fewer people (number not specified) are catching the disease. Until businesses have been given more clarity (expressed in the vaguest possible terms) about the support on offer. Her policy, from that article, appears to be to wait until several months after the event and then tell us what went wrong. You may think that would be a successful way of dealing with the pandemic; I think it has its limitations.

She compares us unfavourably to other countries who are getting the basics right, without saying which countries she is talking about. She complains that children don't have to wear masks in classrooms, even though there is little or no evidence from anywhere in the world that that makes a difference.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Totally agree with you, clearly some people have got very comfortable on furlough, WFH etc etc whilst the rest of us without any help have tried to make a living throughout this pandemic.

If they want to stay at home and hide great, their choice, meanwhile the rest of us want to get our lives back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports