Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK thanks i did see this study by Dr Tess Lawrie who got what ever data from around the world and it had positive results .The big problem is Europe is miles behind with the Vacs and they heading for another surge so if they had something that worked or cut the deaths down that would be a bonus. I guess it will be quite a few months before we really know with more trials going on.

Spot on.

The American guys I got hooked up with last year are a mix of well meaning medics (some from very decent hospitals) and a load of nut jobs (including other medics) who think Fauci (the main NIH virus guru leading on national policy) is denying Americans effective treatments as part of a conspiracy to undermine Trump (I shit you not). Unfortunately even the most decent and sincere among them are trying to publish weak studies and opinion pieces in journals that are essentially predatory publishers (you pay to publish, no questions asked), adding to the pollution of the well of knowledge.

That said, if I got Covid I'd try anything if a man in a white coat said it may help. The difficult bit, in the meantime, is finding the sweet spot between effective but not yet proven, and not yet proven to be ineffective.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
India

Having watched the 20/20 game in India yesterday, the lack of masks and social distancing was pretty alarming to me.

Indeed.

india.PNG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Almost all of France enters a month long lockdown starting tomorrow at midnight, as case numbers keep rising.

Hopefully vaccine scepticism will wane in that period.

“Disinformation, distrust and rumours that are downright bonkers have turned what should have been a fairly routine operation into an organisational nightmare. Doctors like mine who have been allocated just 10 doses of AstraZeneca a week – all of which have to be administered in a 48-hour time frame – are spending valuable time and energy trying to drum up just 10 willing patients.

The reasons for French vaccine scepticism have already been well documented: previous health scandals have sown doubts; the French distrust their politicians and Big Pharma and rail against being told what to do. President Macron’s ill-advised trashing of the AstraZeneca vaccine based on erroneous interpretation of the scientific data didn’t help”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/07/in-france-theres-no-escape-from-covid-vaccine-sceptics-what-would-pasteur-think

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The situation in the UK is now described as 'perilous'. Massive drop in available vaccines for at least a month and a third tidal wave of infections on our doorstep in Europe which has previously ended up on our shores. We must redouble our efforts to keep up the hard work with social distancing and keeping non essential retail and hospitality closed for a while yet to prevent a third wave here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The situation in the UK is now described as 'perilous'. Massive drop in available vaccines for at least a month and a third tidal wave of infections on our doorstep in Europe which has previously ended up on our shores. We must redouble our efforts to keep up the hard work with social distancing and keeping non essential retail and hospitality closed for a while yet to prevent a third wave here.

The UK’s current stocks and guaranteed supplies have been planned at worst, to give all over 50’s and the younger vulnerable their two jabs. Demographics that had comprised almost all Covid-19 deaths.

The BBC analysed the numbers today and found that a restricted number of vaccines to be administered in April, would still match the number given in February. Just not up to March heights.

The concern for Europe and the World is that the third wave growing exponentially in parts of the EU, will act as a huge petri dish for dangerous new variants.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

This is bait

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well we can all choose our words to describe the outlook.

I describe the situation in the UK as 'encouraging'.

The worst case as far as I can see is a fall in availability of AZ or Pfizer drugs and people will have to match 2nd doses with Novavax, Moderna or JandJ jabs. I have been assured on NSC that this isn't a bad thing ( although I still have an element of scepticism ). It may be that the 12 week gap gets stretched in some cases as well - hopefully not by too much.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well we can all choose our words to describe the outlook.

I describe the situation in the UK as 'encouraging'.

The worst case as far as I can see is a fall in availability of AZ or Pfizer drugs and people will have to match 2nd doses with Novavax, Moderna or JandJ jabs. I have been assured on NSC that this isn't a bad thing ( although I still have an element of scepticism ). It may be that the 12 week gap gets stretched in some cases as well - hopefully not by too much.

it certainly is encouraging, its only shrill doomsters saying otherwise. the vaccine programme was so far ahead that the delay in AZ delivery doesnt actually put it back, just means under50's wont be getting jabs early. as we go into Q2 we'll have the noted 3 new vaccines coming online, one of which is being made here, another hopefully (Valneva) in summer. reduced restrictions from May/June, and we'll have everyone will be vaccinated by end of summer. we're done with this in the autumn, as long as message gets out that we accept and live with the residual cases.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1373045347208028162[/TWEET]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Can I ask, do you work, are you on furlough?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

It's great. A few days of positive news articles but the second Crodo locates a slightly negative spin he's back in the game

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Almost all of France enters a month long lockdown starting tomorrow at midnight

C'est pas vrai

16 areas and provinces out of 101 though does include Paris

Macron is walking a fine line though with arrival of the variant anglais now well established and vaccine hesitancy amplified by his actions

They've had a reasonable winter compared to us with no full lockdown since late Nov, schools and shops have stayed open throughout and people also mix in each others homes. But they are aren't out of the woods...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I'm not convinced non-essential retail is a huge threat with the correct restrictions. Indoor hospitality worries me though, that decision should be take with extreme care and restrictions should really be maintained for sometime yet...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
C'est pas vrai

16 areas and provinces out of 101 though does include Paris

Macron is walking a fine line though with arrival of the variant anglais now well established and vaccine hesitancy amplified by his actions

They've had a reasonable winter compared to us with no full lockdown since late Nov, schools and shops have stayed open throughout and people also mix in each others homes. But they are aren't out of the woods...

The Guardian or Independent reported this week that 48% of French adults surveyed don’t trust the Pfizer vaccine, 80% OAZ. Apparently the French have a longstanding mistrust of vaccines per se.

I wonder how Macron and Castex can break that mindset?

People are sadly dying and others will follow them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Guardian or Independent reported this week that 48% of French adults surveyed don’t trust the Pfizer vaccine, 80% OAZ. Apparently the French have a longstanding mistrust of vaccines per se.

I wonder how Macron and Castex can break that mindset?

People are sadly dying and others will follow them.

I think we will have an issue when we get to the younger age groups as Israel did.

There needs to be a fine balance of realism and scaremongering of a post vaccine world not to put people off bothering

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think we will have an issue when we get to the younger age groups as Israel did.

There needs to be a fine balance of realism and scaremongering of a post vaccine world not to put people off bothering

I know someone in that grouping. Influenced by shite stirring anti vaxer, pandemic denying parents in Brighton and Lewes (the full bundle .... Icke’s a hero, the Gates’s are trying to murder us all, Clooney and the Clinton’s are child murderers, 5G, the vaccine is a microbot)

Thankfully, he’s changed his mind and will get the vax.

Effectively, the non vaccinated won’t be allowed in by most overseas holiday destinations. That certainly focuses minds :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here