Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/01/covid-infections-at-all-time-high-in-england-ons-data-reveals

Depressing numbers and the Easter festivities have not yet started.

It's ok for the likes of me and Mrs Crodo, we can afford testing kits so will continue to do so, but for others with the cost of living crisis we should bring back free testing immediately and prior sick pay so people can isolate who are covid positive. The report also states the end of covid restrictions and return to pre covid behaviours are to blame for the incredibly high current numbers.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/01/covid-infections-at-all-time-high-in-england-ons-data-reveals

It's ok for the likes of me and Mrs Crodo, we can afford testing kits so will continue to do so, but for others with the cost of living crisis we should bring back free testing immediately and prior sick pay so people can isolate who are covid positive. The report also states the end of covid restrictions and return to pre covid behaviours are to blame for the incredibly high current numbers.
Professor Devi Sridhar, one of the more pessimistic doctors on there, is concerned that "we are losing a couple of hundred people every day". Which surprises me, because there haven't been 200 deaths on a single day since 3rd February, 2 months ago - we aren't losing 200 people on any day, let alone every day. You have to doubt the credentials of a man who either doesn't know the elementary facts or else who chooses to lie about them.

The problem with the arguments for free testing is that they don't make sense. We have had free testing all the while the numbers have been shooting up - so reintroducing free testing two days after it stopped, won't stop the numbers shooting up. Scotland has had compulsory mask wearing for yonks and their numbers are shooting up - so compulsory mask wearing won't stop numbers shooting up. Do they want mask wearing and free testing because they have evidence that it makes a significant difference, or because just because they think something must be done and they can't think of anything else?

I reckon the difficulty with testing, free or otherwise, is that many people aren't getting symptoms at all, and those that are getting symptoms have been infectious for several days before the symptoms appear; and I know from personal experience that a lateral flow test can show negative even after the symptoms have come. Lateral Flow Testing is useful for marking the end of the virus rather than identifying the early, infectious period.

Anyway, have they proved that suppression of the virus so that many of us avoid it and most of us get it every year or every other year, is a better option that most of us getting it annually or more often? No point in pressing for suppression if letting it spread is the better option. We were very very cautious about it in the early period, with good reason obviously. Now the virus appears to have weakened and the vaccines are working well, we have given up being careful. I had it and felt a bit rough for 2 days, a bit tired for 2 more, and got over it. My mother (age 89) had it and felt pretty rough for 4 days, rough enough to spend part of them in bed, and didn't want to eat much, and got over it. Just like flu, for most people, it is no worse than unpleasant.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Professor Devi Sridhar, one of the more pessimistic doctors on there, is concerned that "we are losing a couple of hundred people every day". Which surprises me, because there haven't been 200 deaths on a single day since 3rd February, 2 months ago - we aren't losing 200 people on any day, let alone every day. You have to doubt the credentials of a man who either doesn't know the elementary facts or else who chooses to lie about them.

The problem with the arguments for free testing is that they don't make sense. We have had free testing all the while the numbers have been shooting up - so reintroducing free testing two days after it stopped, won't stop the numbers shooting up. Scotland has had compulsory mask wearing for yonks and their numbers are shooting up - so compulsory mask wearing won't stop numbers shooting up. Do they want mask wearing and free testing because they have evidence that it makes a significant difference, or because just because they think something must be done and they can't think of anything else?

I reckon the difficulty with testing, free or otherwise, is that many people aren't getting symptoms at all, and those that are getting symptoms have been infectious for several days before the symptoms appear; and I know from personal experience that a lateral flow test can show negative even after the symptoms have come. Lateral Flow Testing is useful for marking the end of the virus rather than identifying the early, infectious period.

Anyway, have they proved that suppression of the virus so that many of us avoid it and most of us get it every year or every other year, is a better option that most of us getting it annually or more often? No point in pressing for suppression if letting it spread is the better option. We were very very cautious about it in the early period, with good reason obviously. Now the virus appears to have weakened and the vaccines are working well, we have given up being careful. I had it and felt a bit rough for 2 days, a bit tired for 2 more, and got over it. My mother (age 89) had it and felt pretty rough for 4 days, rough enough to spend part of them in bed, and didn't want to eat much, and got over it. Just like flu, for most people, it is no worse than unpleasant.

A woman I believe :D
Nutritionist by trade ….would rather see her promoting good health via her expertise

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Hope you’ll still be prancing through the streets of Lyme Regis in your Easter Bunny outfit ..think of the joy you’ll be spreading

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well after 2 years of dodging Covid Mrs V and I both caught it this week. We were both still wearing masks for a lot of the time despite most people not bothering. Mrs V was not even going to report her case as she though it was not worth the effort but did after I persuaded her to go by the book.

But, how many cases are now going unreported thanks to the vagaries of Government reporting and the increasing difficulty of obtaining Lateral Flow Tests ? My daughter who works in the NHS told me that they hade stopped issuing them to staff a month back? It's almost like the Governnent are suppressing the actual figures by making it harder to confirm a case.

Hilarious statement from Health Secretary Sajid Javid last week.... " We expect infection rates to rise because we have lifted virtually all our restrictions " ! So, combine this with dwindling supplies of testing kits and Johnson has finally got his " Herd Immunity " plan through albeit 2 years late.

Mrs Bodian & I may have covid, or may just have a spring cold (snuffles, sneezing and so on - no temperature or shivers - like my wife's bosses had a few days earlier, so quite a short infection time). But - all three chemists in town have run out of LFT, so we can't easily get one even with paying. By the time we order a pack online, and it arrives, it's likely we'll be non-infectious anyway. My work said a month ago that they would still keep packs, which we can use for free if we're going to the office. But, as I mainly WFH now, it seems pointless driving 15 miles to get a LFT to see if I can go into the office, when I can just WFH for the week anyway. And in any case, they've all gone at the moment anyway (probably staff taking them home to stock up and save paying!).

So, we're just keeping ourselves to ourselves as if we do have covid. But we'll never know, and whatever we have won't be recorded.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs Bodian & I may have covid, or may just have a spring cold (snuffles, sneezing and so on - no temperature or shivers - like my wife's bosses had a few days earlier, so quite a short infection time). But - all three chemists in town have run out of LFT, so we can't easily get one even with paying. By the time we order a pack online, and it arrives, it's likely we'll be non-infectious anyway. My work said a month ago that they would still keep packs, which we can use for free if we're going to the office. But, as I mainly WFH now, it seems pointless driving 15 miles to get a LFT to see if I can go into the office, when I can just WFH for the week anyway. And in any case, they've all gone at the moment anyway (probably staff taking them home to stock up and save paying!).

So, we're just keeping ourselves to ourselves as if we do have covid. But we'll never know, and whatever we have won't be recorded.

All we have now is the random testing that gives an estimate of how many have been infected in a week and the proportion of the population infected, like 1/23 of the population. I went back to work Saturday as I'm finally non infectious after 10 days. Return to Work interview due next week ( no management in on saturdays of course ) and then I'll find out if I will be paid for my absence or have to try to claw some cash back from the Government.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Glad you last two posters find Covid so hilarious and easy to dismiss, good for you that you're fit and healthy and don't need to worry about coming into contact with one of the 1 in 13 people currently estimated to have Covid.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
According to my NHS App I was in close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid19 yesterday (2 meters for 15 mins). Yet I only went to the Post Office and was in there for no longer than 3 minutes ? I didn't take my phone to the Post Office !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
According to my NHS App I was in close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid19 yesterday (2 meters for 15 mins). Yet I only went to the Post Office and was in there for no longer than 3 minutes ? I didn't take my phone to the Post Office !

That’ll be the tracking chip inserted when you had your vaccine :wink:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Lee Stewart
@tapas321
Patients in hospital treated primarily for covid 6,509, now below 40% of the total dashboard covid bed use numbers.
That is also 2,073 below the 8,582 peak reported on January 10th.
I don't expect us to get near that number now with cases dropping & admissions having peaked.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Glad you last two posters find Covid so hilarious and easy to dismiss, good for you that you're fit and healthy and don't need to worry about coming into contact with one of the 1 in 13 people currently estimated to have Covid.

And your dumb enough to have had 4 jabs so far.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Holy hell, taxi booked for 4am to Gatwick to fly to Sicily…

Somethings not quite right, I took a test yesterday nothing, took a test this morning and positive…

Mr feckin less popular than normal right now, one hotel won’t refund, flights changed to next sat extra £267.00, taxi cancelled.

Slung in the spare room like a leper….
Feel like shit, aches, headache, muscles hurt, light headed.

Bollox

I’m quite an anxious person, and I can feel it building up now, yesterdays test not even a faint line, now bold and strong.
I’ve taken the test a few times last week, as I have not been feeling quite right, but nothing, is that the incubation period or whatever that is.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Holy hell, taxi booked for 4am to Gatwick to fly to Sicily…

Somethings not quite right, I took a test yesterday nothing, took a test this morning and positive…

Mr feckin less popular than normal right now, one hotel won’t refund, flights changed to next sat extra £267.00, taxi cancelled.

Slung in the spare room like a leper….
Feel like shit, aches, headache, muscles hurt, light headed.

Bollox

I’m quite an anxious person, and I can feel it building up now, yesterdays test not even a faint line, now bold and strong.
I’ve taken the test a few times last week, as I have not been feeling quite right, but nothing, is that the incubation period or whatever that is.

You'll be fine, honestly. How long ago did you have your vaccine?

You only have to look at the start of this thread to see what a mess I was with this virus, I thought I'd have a heart attack if I tested positive. I got it and was fine, developed a cough after I tested negative, GP says this is quite frequent now. And the line, it does get bolder, after a couple of days it looked like someone had drawn a line with a permanent marker on ours.

I think re booking your flights for next Saturday is a bit optimistic though. Most people I speak to are testing negative after 10 days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports