Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mahmoud Dahoud (Loaned to VfB Stuttgart 31/01/24)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
a very good first touch
That's reminded me of something I meant to post here a while back, but I think I forgot.

One game recently I was watching him warm up with some other subs at half-time and the way he controlled balls pinged at him along the ground was just something else. The way he cushioned the ball and stopped it dead, effortlessly and time after time, was just delightful and way, way above what the other subs (I can't remember who) were able to do. It really stood out it was so exceptional.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I'm disappointed this has not worked out. From what I read, and heard from friends, he should have been a good replacement for Ale Mac. Given he was not even making the bench recently, suggests a falling out with RDZ. Maybe he will get a second chance next season?
He will never be anywhere close to Ali Mac and is already more senior in years. Ali Mac was an aggressive positive playmaker. Dahoud looked a relatively weak, half interested, passive replacement. Some signings just don't work out, and he never would imo.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The fees that are being generated are not thanks to RDZ. Him publicising these spats can only negatively impact those fees as buying clubs know there's pressure to get rid.

Three players already in a year and a half. Plus very public criticism of Baleba recently too. This is definitely not a strong point for Roberto, even if he's having these spats, they should be behind closed doors.

To be fair the Caicedo situation last January was handled much better. But in that case most of the blame was directed towards his agent and Moises was still performing brilliantly for us.
There's a bit of re-writing of history going on. With Trossard it was obvious that the player was agitating for a big money move. There's nothing any manager could have done to make him stay. Sanchez thought he was going to get picked after the Everton debacle and when he wasn't, decided that it was over for him and withdrew his labour. In both cases RDZ didn't publicise any spat, he just answered questions honestly. In both cases he said correctly that the decision was that player's. He also said that each was a good guy and was welcome back if they made that choice.

With Dahoud there has been no mention at all of a spat. RDZ answered a question about what he wanted from him on the pitch and subsequently said that he was currently not in the squad because Gross, Gilmour, Moder and Baleba were in front of him. Given those four and Milner & Lallana as possible CM options, and the current dearth of wingers, it was understandable that he'd want the likes of Baker Boaitey rather than another CM option on the bench. The 'public criticism' of Baleba is presumably when he was asked about withdrawing him at half time and said that he's not yet ready, but is the future of the club. He went on to say that this applies to a lot of the youngsters and gave Buonanotte as an example of how quickly players can develop with game time. If his English was better, he'd have just said 'Baleba is a huge talent but isn't yet the finished article'. That's what he meant.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Will Stuttgard be able to afford to sign both Undav & Dahoud at the end of the season

Suggestion out of Germany is they can't even afford Undav's fee alone so chances of them both leaving us permanently to Stuttgart feel quite low IMO.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't believe he is not good enough, just De Zerbi hasn't got the best out of him, for whatever reason. Sometimes a good player and a good manager just dont work well together.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Will Stuttgard be able to afford to sign both Undav & Dahoud at the end of the season
Don’t think there will be a fee for Dahoud if he wants to go. A mutual termination of contract more likely.

Or did you mean afford both their wages?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Suggestion out of Germany is they can't even afford Undav's fee alone so chances of them both leaving us permanently to Stuttgart feel quite low IMO.
Sometimes a loan player makes an impression on the league, and is targeted by other clubs, the club that had the loan player and the option to buy, then has an opportunity to make some cash from a transfer between the parent club and the buying club, by selling or giving up their option.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
There's a bit of re-writing of history going on. With Trossard it was obvious that the player was agitating for a big money move. There's nothing any manager could have done to make him stay. Sanchez thought he was going to get picked after the Everton debacle and when he wasn't, decided that it was over for him and withdrew his labour. In both cases RDZ didn't publicise any spat, he just answered questions honestly. In both cases he said correctly that the decision was that player's. He also said that each was a good guy and was welcome back if they made that choice.

With Dahoud there has been no mention at all of a spat. RDZ answered a question about what he wanted from him on the pitch and subsequently said that he was currently not in the squad because Gross, Gilmour, Moder and Baleba were in front of him. Given those four and Milner & Lallana as possible CM options, and the current dearth of wingers, it was understandable that he'd want the likes of Baker Boaitey rather than another CM option on the bench. The 'public criticism' of Baleba is presumably when he was asked about withdrawing him at half time and said that he's not yet ready, but is the future of the club. He went on to say that this applies to a lot of the youngsters and gave Buonanotte as an example of how quickly players can develop with game time. If his English was better, he'd have just said 'Baleba is a huge talent but isn't yet the finished article'. That's what he meant.
Fair points, in each case there have been circumstances that the player themselves were at fault for.

I still am not convinced that RDZ needed to come out and discuss them in the media so critically. It may also be true that it's a language barrier and his intention isn't to be so blunt as it comes across. Similarly his comments on referees. Sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution, particularly in a business like football where everything is microanalysed (including by overinvested, uninformed fans like myself).

This obviously isn't to disparage his coaching abilities, he is clearly a great at pushing his players to perform and perform in a very demanding system.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
lol- he's not an asset, he's a liability. Costing 55,000 a week to sit at home chilling out and occupying a squad place.

"Hi. Would you mind ending your contract and leaving for free please. We don't want to pay the wages"

"No"

Yeah, good luck with that.

Loan him, have a % of his wages paid by someone else and then sell, receiving additional income.

55k a week is just over 1 million by the summer if my maths is right. So even if we paid "ALL of his wages until then and then sold for a fee, we would still do better than you're "let him go on a free" idea which he obviously wouldn't take and would do us out of a fee.

"Lol"

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Begining to think unable to judge potential of a player Not only did I think Dahoud had potential a Polish full back played one game at Villa I think and I thought he looked very good. But soon out the door on loan somewhere never to be seen again.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't believe he is not good enough, just De Zerbi hasn't got the best out of him, for whatever reason. Sometimes a good player and a good manager just dont work well together.
We'll see. His time at Dortmund didn't see him become the player they had hoped based on his earlier promise and we took him on a free, presumably hoping that we could help him back on track. It doesn't seem to have happened and that could be the player, or the situational fit. I wouldn't hold any grudges, but would wish him all the best. Of course, if he can perform at Stuttgart, there could be a financial reward for us.

billhems

Oct 23, 2022
Auf wiedersehen Mo, officially moved to the freezer door of history
20240201_122809.jpg

Jimmy Grimble

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is there any evidence of this? Other than NSC?
Brighton manager De Zerbi hailed the midfielder's arrival and revealed he previously wanted to work with the player during his time managing in Italy.

'I'm excited to have Mahmoud in my team. I wanted him when I was at Sassuolo and I'm sure he is going to be a top player for us,' said De Zerbi.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I suppose we wouldn’t know about the spats he has with players when they are resolved though. We mainly know about Trossard and Sanchez because they took big actions like refusing to play.

Tbf I think it seems that Dahoud is not doing what RDZ wants him to do but I am not sure if there is definitely an argument going on there. You can still see him in some of the training pics etc and he looks happy enough in them. Sometimes players come in and they just aren’t quite what we thought they were or turn out not to be what we needed after all.
Possibly with Sanchez and maybe Dahoud didn't settle here for whatever reason, but let's be clear, Trossard engineered his own way out of the club to get a move to Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here