Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madeleine McCann...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Hayling Island is an island, no? The only time I've ever been there was to run a race, but it seemed a bit of a weird place. Maybe that's the island mentality? :lol:
Hayling Island IS a very wierd place.

There was a drama on TV a few years ago about a strange community built to house witness protection families. You had to drive down a long road in the middle of nowhere to get this to this wierd little place surrounded by nothing. That’s what it feels like to me every time I go to Hayling Island (see also Knowle Village for other Hampshire residents).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When did you discover that you already actually lived on an island? :lolol:
Ha! Good point! I think I already knew, but Britain wasn't a 'proper' island, I mean it had electricity and everything. And it wasn't called an island as part of its name. Hayling Island sounded quite exotic, I do remember being disappointed to find that they spoke English there, and I don't remember seeing any palm trees. And they had electricity.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

There was a drama on TV a few years ago about a strange community built to house witness protection families. You had to drive down a long road in the middle of nowhere to get this to this wierd little place surrounded by nothing. That’s what it feels like to me every time I go to Hayling Island (see also Knowle Village for other Hampshire residents).
Hayling Island also has a place called Stoke on it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Had a nice long weekend there couple of years ago, probably stayed in the nicest place on the front. I jinxed it when I said this is just perfect, the dumper trucks arrived the next day

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230222_081107_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230222_081107_Gallery.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230222_081124_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230222_081124_Gallery.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230222_081203_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230222_081203_Gallery.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20230222_081031_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230222_081031_Gallery.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 26

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m pretty sure Davy Jones of the Monkees retired to Hayling Island.

Back when Billy Butlin ran attractions on Hayling Island, there was a Monkey Island with live monkeys.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Continuing to take the thread off topic, Silver End, in Essex, is a VERY strange place. Fascinating in many respects, but just very out of place with pretty much everything else around it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Continuing to take the thread off topic, Silver End, in Essex, is a VERY strange place. Fascinating in many respects, but just very out of place with pretty much everything else around it.

Continuing off topic my first serious girlfriend was a farmer's daughter from round there. She was a bit strange too. Fascinating in many respects, but just very out of place with pretty much everything else around her.
Must admit to having visited Silver End on holiday to see the Crittal windows.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Continuing off topic my first serious girlfriend was a farmer's daughter from round there. She was a bit strange too. Fascinating in many respects, but just very out of place with pretty much everything else around her.
Must admit to having visited Silver End on holiday to see the Crittal windows.
I stumbled across it while driving out that way. Then read into the backstory when I got home.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ha! Good point! I think I already knew, but Britain wasn't a 'proper' island, I mean it had electricity and everything. And it wasn't called an island as part of its name. Hayling Island sounded quite exotic, I do remember being disappointed to find that they spoke English there, and I don't remember seeing any palm trees. And they had electricity.
When we took my then three year old daughter to France by car she was really disappointed to see that the French looked the same as the English, she thought they’d look like monsters because we told her they spoke a different language which she wouldn’t understand, so she assumed they’d be a different species as well. This is the young girl who also found a place called Leatherhead absolutely hilarious too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When we took my then three year old daughter to France by car she was really disappointed to see that the French looked the same as the English, she thought they’d look like monsters because we told her they spoke a different language which she wouldn’t understand, so she assumed they’d be a different species as well. This is the young girl who also found a place called Leatherhead hilarious too.
To be fair Leatherhead is a funny name. There are many I chuckle at. Mentally I’m 3 - or maybe she’s 7 mentally as well?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Haha! Navy Dad.
Yeah, I remember when the Balltree at Sompting used to sell it. (I do believe that at the time, mid 70s, it was the most easterly pub to sell it). Not surprised it got Eric laid, three pints and I'd always be flat on my back. I'd still be fit for school though the next day; no hangovers when you're young!

Strangely enough the last time I had a pint of it I found it almost undrinkable, it was far too thick and syrupy. I think because I've moved on to lighter, more hoppy ales now.
I’m like that now. Used to go to The Black Horse at Binstead for a few

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair Leatherhead is a funny name. There are many I chuckle at. Mentally I’m 3 - or maybe she’s 7 mentally as well?
She was younger than 7.

Have you ever been to Condom in France? :smile:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
She was younger than 7.

Have you ever been to Condom in France? :smile:
No but I’m about to search hotels there for my summer break 🤣👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here