Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madeleine McCann...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What about Portland? I grew up on the island and have always regarded it as such.

It is now causewayed by a road built alongside Chesil Beach but I regard it still as an island. And a beautiful one at that. I love Dorset.

Annoys me when I see references to it in the news and they say “in Portland” it’s ON Portland.

Thoughts?View attachment 157425
The Tout Quarry sculpture park is an amazing place to visit.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Hayling Island is also an island., however Gosport isn't.
It is said that "No Man is an island". Clearly bollocks. Look!

_127067278_bd67129e-0b42-4e97-90e8-50966db96487.gif

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What about Portland? I grew up on the island and have always regarded it as such.

It is now causewayed by a road built alongside Chesil Beach but I regard it still as an island. And a beautiful one at that. I love Dorset.

Annoys me when I see references to it in the news and they say “in Portland” it’s ON Portland.

I think you are right although why not ‘on THE Portland’ in the same way as I live on the Wirral ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Hayling Island is an island, no? The only time I've ever been there was to run a race, but it seemed a bit of a weird place. Maybe that's the island mentality? :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Had you been available for the Iranian Embassy siege, the SAS may still be a relatively secretive unknown special forces unit.
I'm glad he wasn't available. If he had been then I would never have been given the best present I ever received as a kid.

As an aside, the return of Swansman on this thread has made me realise how much more I enjoyed NSC during his "little break". Some people simply just create too much negative energy in the room, regardless of who's right and wrong and whatever. Learnt that pretty quickly when managing, often it's really just better to ship them out. He can go on Ignore and you lot can enjoy him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Sussex has its own island - Thorney Island.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's full of old people on holiday (we went there, obvs)
When I was a small boy my mum had friends who lived on Hayling Island. I thought "Living on an island! That must be exciting!" When we went to visit them I discovered it wasn't.

What do you mean? I'm thoroughly enjoying our conversation about Portsmouth.

Do you know I used to be a student there at Portsmouth Polytechnic? BA Geography. No good to man or beast.

Favourite pub: Still & West. Favourite beer: Gales HSB. The beer that got me laid. What. a. pint.
Did there used to be a Gales pub somewhere in the North Laines / Station area?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here