Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
IN THE LEED ... United are chasing Maynard
Nicky is Leeds’ Mayn target
By MICHAEL MORGAN Published: Today at 00:27

WEST HAM ace Nicky Maynard has leapfrogged Craig Mackail-Smith on Leeds’ wish-list.
Boss Neil Warnock is in the market for a new striker, despite Ross McCormack saying he is ready to pledge his future to the Elland Road outfit by signing a three-year deal.

Now Hammers hit-man Maynard has emerged as Warnock’s No1 target.

Maynard, 25, has endured a frustrating time at Upton Park since arriving in a £2million switch from Bristol City last January.

He failed to nail down a regular place in boss Sam Allardyce’s starting line-up as the East Enders clinched instant promotion back to the Premier League with a Wembley play-off final win over Blackpool.

Maynard, who had landed a two-and-a-half year deal, made just 16 appearances and scored only three goals as Big Sam shuffled his strike force.

Now the Hammers are ready to let Maynard move on, so long as they can do a deal which will see them get their money back on the marksman.

Leeds are prepared to meet the asking price, although Maynard’s wages could be a problem as he is believed to be on £25,000-a-week at Upton Park.

But Warnock is hoping the Yorkshire club will push out the boat after he decided that he would rather have Maynard than Brighton’s Mackail-Smith.

The Scotland hit-man, 27, is on offer after a tough first campaign at the Amex Stadium following his £2.5million move from Peterborough last summer.

Seagulls chief Gus Poyet was hoping to complete a swap deal which would see McCormack, 25, trade places with Mackail-Smith.

But Scottish international McCormack, who top scored with 19 goals for Leeds last term, has re-opened contract talks with Leeds.

From the sun

Oh.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I totally agree. In my opinion, that is why CMS is not suited to Championship football. His game and technical ability in ineffective against quality defenders. First touch is so important in creating the space, and his is that of a rapist.

Why is it that the perceived lack of control from cms, is given more prominence than the similar perception of Barnes.... I don't see either having a perfect touch, but why look at this with such a skewed view?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Would love to see Nicky Maynard sign here but he's not exactly the type of striker we are after. I'm sure West Ham are paying him a fortune as well.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Why is it that the perceived lack of control from cms, is given more prominence than the similar perception of Barnes.... I don't see either having a perfect touch, but why look at this with such a skewed view?

Why? Because it is a problem with CMS, and is an unfair statement about Barnes (in general).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Sun article suggests we have put CMS 'on offer' and Gus wants RMC in a swap deal with CMS... that's the first I've heard this in the (more official) press, but it is the Sun! Not sure I believe it either...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Are you kidding? All last season people were criticising Barnes' poor first touch and control as if it was any worse than average for our team. Neither are notably worse than the rest of the team, or most average championship players. Just people who want to dislike a player will make note of their mistakes and ignore their ore skillful moments (and vice versa for those that want to like a player).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Why? Because it is a problem with CMS, and is an unfair statement about Barnes (in general).

Really???.... I think what you are really saying is that you won't tolerate criticism of Barnes, but it OK to slag CMS off,..... which is especially galling considering their respective goals from open play stats.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
The Sun article suggests we have put CMS 'on offer' and Gus wants RMC in a swap deal with CMS... that's the first I've heard this in the (more official) press, but it is the Sun! Not sure I believe it either...

The Sun talk absolute rubbish though, they nearly as bad as football rumours.

Neil Warnock, keep your dirty little hands away.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
This pudding has been wildly overegged. Look at the goals video for CMS at Posh, there is no problem at all with his first touch there. Indeed, in some of the cases it is his first touch that creates the opportunity. I suspect it's more an issue with confidence and being left out of the team will not have helped in that regard having been an autopick at Peterborough. I also see no reason at all why we are talking about a fundamental shift in how the Albion play just to accomodate CMS. He runs channels, drags defenders away etc etc, surely that is precisely what you want when you have Vicente and Buckley joining in with the front man? The fundamental shift would be if we sign a target man and go route one more often. Personally speaking I would be in favour of giving him another season (or at least until January) as I think that he'd complement an off the leash Vicente (like on Sat) very effectively. We shall see though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Sun talk absolute rubbish though, they nearly as bad as football rumours.

Neil Warnock, keep your dirty little hands away.

I agree... Fcuk off Colin W@nker...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Barnes has a comfortably better first touch than CMS.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Barnes' first touch is MILES better than CMS. It is MENTAL to suggest otherwise

Its subjective as always.... some of us deign to offer a different view.... is that OK?

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
With a fit Vicente and Crofts back, we have a midfield capable of slide rule passes etc to CMS. Gus said he wanted players to compliment CMS. Well, he has nearly completed that task IMHO. Can't see what all the drama is about. CMS will be fine this coming season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Really???.... I think what you are really saying is that you won't tolerate criticism of Barnes, but it OK to slag CMS off,..... which is especially galling considering their respective goals from open play stats.

No! Its not OK to slag either off! Barnes' criticism last season was ludicrously out of proportion with his performance, CMS' performances were, in my opinion, worse than Barnes' almost all season yet he got off comparitively lightly because "he's a nice guy who works hard". This also completely ignores Barnes' workrate which, again was actually very high.

Also on the open play lark, CMS got 9 playing up front, Barnes 8 playing left wing. Not really a solid argument there...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Too many over-critical of CMS... let's wait and see shall we... the service he got was, without doubt, rather poor last season... it WILL improve this...

Stumpy Tim

Too many over-critical of CMS... let's wait and see shall we... the service he got was, without doubt, rather poor last season... it WILL improve this...

Ah... the lack of service myth. The reason for the lack of service was because our moves kept breaking down - when the ball reached CMS. To be fair, it's not his game. I can understand why Colin wants him as he'll suit that style of play much better

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

please do quote (accurately & with sources) :lol:

I am never surprised at peoples' ability to only see one side of any argument and to manipulate percieved facts to suit their argument - of course it works all ways. Let's see :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here