Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Gus also said the same about Dicker last season, maybe Crofts has been bought back to sit on the bench...Poyet does talk some shite sometimes lol...by that I mean, they might understand it, that does not mean they can do it.

Yes, Gus can spout at times lol.

If he finds his man sharpish, Barnes , Dicker, Sparrow and Harley will be bench warmers at best if they all stay!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ashley Barnes Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet

Barnes Last season
66 shots (39% of shots are on target)
26 on target (42.3% of shots on target are goals)
11 goals (16.7% of shots are goals)

Drogba:
100 shots (34% on target)
34 on target (38% on target result in goal)
13 goals (13% shots result in goal)

Rooney
157 shots (44.6% of shots are on target)
70 on target (38.6% of shots on target result in a goal)
27 goals (17.2% of shots result in a goal)

So he scored 8 goals in 36 league appearances,... how many of those were penalties?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If you accuse someone of having bad stats, then the stats should actually be bad. If not, you are wrong. He was accused by somerset of needing ten shots to get one shot on target, even if you take out the penalties, this is not true. It goes from 33% (fractionally over 3/10) of shots are on target to 28% (fractionally under 3/10)*.

Of course stats have to be used in context. Take the penalties out and of course the stats go down a bit, but 28% of shots are on target. 25% of shots on target result in a goal. Over 9% of shots result in a goal from open play. Take away all the goals a player scores as a result of a corner or penalty, and their stats will go down. IT's not exactly fair and often argued by people who want a player to be worse than they are (our penalty record without barnes taking them the last couple of seasons is very bad, can we really so easily discount them?)

*After posting my last lot of stats I remembered that espn don't count goals as shots, so the actual total is slightly different:

View attachment 33718

But you would agree at the end of the day, the only stat that really matters is which team scores the most goals on the day?....I like the on target stat,,,you would hope to get a pen on target even if the keeper saves it. That's 10 or so of Barnes shots straight away.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
He played midfield, with lots of defending, most of the season, so it's all irrelevant. He has proven that if he plays up front he scores goals.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He could have said, CMS is a vital part of our team and he is going nowhere and I back him to score 20 goals next season...I've heard enough interviews over the years to convince me CMS will not be a Brighton player come 18th of August.

i think that no matter what he says some people will look for there own interpretation...but i'll make a note of yur August 18th remark :)

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Alan Shearers goal scoring record would be nowhere near as good if it weren't for penalties, what's your point ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So he scored 8 goals in 36 league appearances,... how many of those were penalties?

No. He scored 11 goals in league appearances
2 v cardiff
1 v blackpool
1 v bristol
1 v leeds
1 v palace
2 v ipswich
1 v cardiff
1 v derby
1 v birmingham

3 were penalties.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
i think that no matter what he says some people will look for there own interpretation...but i'll make a note of yur August 18th remark :)

and i'm sure you will bounce it if he is here, just like people did with the Vicente thing. They never did it with my Kusazcak/Bridge and Crofts comments though, or the fact I started a McCormack thread a couple of weeks ago saying Palace will never sign him in a month of Sundays. This Cms stuff has not just started in the last week or so....anyway, off to bed soon. Early start.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But you would agree at the end of the day, the only stat that really matters is which team scores the most goals on the day?....I like the on target stat,,,you would hope to get a pen on target even if the keeper saves it. That's 10 or so of Barnes shots straight away.

The stats are for the league only. He took 4 league penalties and scored 3 of them. The other three penalties he took were v liverpool, gillingham, and wrexham (and as it was in a shoot out the wrexham one wouldn't be included in his stats, not as a goal not as a shot). Even Messi misses penalties. It's not nailed on to be a shot on target.

Which made me realise I took too many goals and shots away on my stat sheets. This one is more accurate:

strikers.jpg

Last edited:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Alan Shearers goal scoring record would be nowhere near as good if it weren't for penalties, what's your point ???

His point is that Brezovan would have scored last season had he been taking the penalties,penalties are given goals it does not matter who takes them,unless it`s Harley

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Okay, maybe not 'no where near as good'

But he's scored a fair few...

I don't get people moan at barnes for counting pens towards his goals.
Beacuase without them, his figures are mediocre,... give CMS those pens and his figures look good,.... but he wasnt allowed to take them.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Beacuase without them, his figures are mediocre,... give CMS those pens and his figures look good,.... but he wasnt allowed to take them.

Barnes only had 3/4 penalties last season, fuuuuuuuuucking hell, it was only 2 years ago we were crying out for a penalty taker, now we have one people still aren't happy !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
and i'm sure you will bounce it if he is here, just like people did with the Vicente thing. They never did it with my Kusazcak/Bridge and Crofts comments though, or the fact I started a McCormack thread a couple of weeks ago saying Palace will never sign him in a month of Sundays. This Cms stuff has not just started in the last week or so....anyway, off to bed soon. Early start.

Yeah, but with your bridge/kuszczak comments you didn't vow to nail your bollocks to a table singing my old man's a dustman up and down the pier if you were right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here