Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

Jul 13, 2012
You makes oi larrff.... Barnes is a jobbing attacking player, with little pace, and a need to have 10 shots for every one on target. He links play a bit yes, but he struggles to control the ball, so his assistance in this area is limited. Work in progress, this will have to be something similar to painting the Sistine Chapel, it will take a long time for this piece of work to be complete.

Totally agree.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He is only 22!!!! Give him a f***ing break!

Jeez some of you "experts" really are utterly clueless who know little about football!

!
.... Oh, I am sorry O guru of all things footy..... no I am not ... knob off,... Barnes is shit at this level and above...... bench man at best.... if he is lucky.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Poyet basically didn't want to say Macca is staying just incase an offer does come in and it's right for the club and the player. Poyet didn't want to say Macca is going because it'd both upset the fans and things can change in an instant.

He just doesn't want to give a straight answer because things in football are very complicated and can change at any second and it will make him look like a liar.

I don't think Poyet knows quite what's going on with the CMS situation for now, hence the no comment.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
CMS is not off. Poyet is just stating the obvious. If we need a striker now, but sell CMS, we will then need 2. It's a headache Poyet and Bloom will not want

And it shows Gus thinks he made a mistake in bringing him here. He will get this season to make an impact, if he doesnt deliver this season - then i wouldnt be surprised if he would be gone next Summer.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Ashley Barnes Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet

Barnes Last season
66 shots (39% of shots are on target)
26 on target (42.3% of shots on target are goals)
11 goals (16.7% of shots are goals)

Drogba:
100 shots (34% on target)
34 on target (38% on target result in goal)
13 goals (13% shots result in goal)

Rooney
157 shots (44.6% of shots are on target)
70 on target (38.6% of shots on target result in a goal)
27 goals (17.2% of shots result in a goal)

We should sign that Rooney fella

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I don't believe Barnes will start 20 games, let alone score 20 goals. The waiting will soon be over, roll on Aug 18th.

If we are seriously gunning for promotion this season we cannot wait for Barnes to mature as some suggest we should,so i for one hope you are right.Out of interest are you a closet scouser:eek:

Last edited:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I don't believe Barnes will start 20 games, let alone score 20 goals. The waiting will soon be over, roll on Aug 18th.

Well there's 46 games in the league, and god knows how many we'll have in the cup next season, he's gonna play most games like last season and he's gonna get more service.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
And it shows Gus thinks he made a mistake in bringing him here. He will get this season to make an impact, if he doesnt deliver this season - then i wouldnt be surprised if he would be gone next Summer.

No it does not. It just means we need better quality in the side around him. Which we now have. I am sticking my neck on the line now and predicting at least 18-20 from CMS this season

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He is only 22!!!! Give him a f***ing break!

Jeez some of you "experts" really are utterly clueless who know little about football!

I love CMS but Barnes is on course for being a technically better player. Don't believe me? Well check too see where CMS was at Barnes' age...I'll tell you...Dagenham & Redbridge, struggling to hold down a first team place! So by your statement, he would never have made it.

Barnes is not the finished article...far from it, but he IS one of the most promising young strikers in the Championship!

100% THIS - one of the most promising young strikers in the Championship and already worth not far off a million quid in the transfer market. No surprise if he disappointed his detractors again this season by finishing as top scorer

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
With respect those above stats mean absolutely sweet FA to me. Barnes will still get grief this season (if he starts), not from me because I think he has potential. I don't believe he is good enough yet to make us a true force in this league. Gus claims that he is one of the few players that understands his theory of how he wants us to play.

If we do get a striker in before the season starts then I fail to see how Barnes will get a start barring injuries and/or suspensions?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Poyet basically didn't want to say Macca is staying just incase an offer does come in and it's right for the club and the player. Poyet didn't want to say Macca is going because it'd both upset the fans and things can change in an instant.

He just doesn't want to give a straight answer because things in football are very complicated and can change at any second and it will make him look like a liar.

I don't think Poyet knows quite what's going on with the CMS situation for now, hence the no comment.

You would think he would know if he is deffo staying or not, after all he did pay 3.25m for him 12 mths ago and he is the manager. All he had to do was laugh it off and say Macca is going nowhere....He didn't!!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Sorry, did you not see last season where Barnes started near every single game ? He will still be an important 1st team player. Do agree that he wont get 20 goals though, especially if we get out "gem" of a striker.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
With respect those above stats mean absolutely sweet FA to me. Barnes will still get grief this season (if he starts), not from me because I think he has potential. I don't believe he is good enough yet to make us a true force in this league. Gus claims that he is one of the few players that understands his theory of how he wants us to play.

If we do get a striker in before the season starts then I fail to see how Barnes will get a start barring injuries and/or suspensions?

Gus also said the same about Dicker last season, maybe Crofts has been bought back to sit on the bench...Poyet does talk some shite sometimes lol...by that I mean, they might understand it, that does not mean they can do it.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
You would think he would know if he is deffo staying or not, after all he did pay 3.25m for him 12 mths ago and he is the manager. All he had to do was laugh it off and say Macca is going nowhere....He didn't!!

Maybe we've accepted a bid but there's a hiccup in contract talks, anything could be going on pal !

In my opinion it did look like he was hinting at Macca to be off but who knows, maybe he'll stay.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Cms must stay.... else we will be left with 'Barn door Barnes' who gets penalties and about 10 chances per goal..... A lot of those chances down to hustle activity from cms in the course of him charging about..... Replace Barnes with a more alert, efficient and skilled marksman and our goal tally will double...... ditch Barnes.

Yes, keep CMS .....No ditch Barnes, Top scorer and improving all the time. As numerous other posters have said,CMS with the right service WILL get a hatful.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stats only ever really tell half the story don't they?If the pens are included in that, it does not look half as clever...Like saying a side has 75% possession and lose 1-0. It's all a bit irrelevant really.

If you accuse someone of having bad stats, then the stats should actually be bad. If not, you are wrong. He was accused by somerset of needing ten shots to get one shot on target, even if you take out the penalties, this is not true. It goes from 33% (fractionally over 3/10) of shots are on target to 28% (fractionally under 3/10)*.

Of course stats have to be used in context. Take the penalties out and of course the stats go down a bit, but 28% of shots are on target. 25% of shots on target result in a goal. Over 9% of shots result in a goal from open play. Take away all the goals a player scores as a result of a corner or penalty, and their stats will go down. IT's not exactly fair and often argued by people who want a player to be worse than they are (our penalty record without barnes taking them the last couple of seasons is very bad, can we really so easily discount them?)

*After posting my last lot of stats I remembered that espn don't count goals as shots, so the actual total is slightly different:

strikers.jpg
(changed for more accurate one)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here