Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yes I know, but as much as I love Gus, he has just one third division title under his belt, whereas Colin has done it all.
I get what you're saying, Warnock is pretty much the definition of a manager who knows the division. But his team will be playing very different football to us, I can see the appeal of CMS to basically an old school manager. Also considering he's spent most of his career at this level, he's got three or four promotions, but plenty of mediocrity too. Whether it's a swap or a straight sale to fund something else I'd be happy to back Gus.

My first preference would still be for CMS to stay and come good but I don't think that it's going to work out.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Assumptions, not facts...
Yes, what is your point?

If we swap McCormack for Mackail-Smith that would indicate that each manager would prefer to have the other's player.

That is all.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, what is your point?

If we swap McCormack for Mackail-Smith that would indicate that each manager would prefer to have the other's player.

That is all.

You took rumour as fact... that's my point... you are now back-tracking... well done...

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
So useless that teams bidded £5m for him in 2009 and he scored a brilliant goal against us last season?

I LOVE that kind of useless

Maybe not useless then, but it does not matter what is bid for someone, just because someone bid 5 million, does not make someone a good player. Scoring A brilliant goal also does not make you a good player either. I remember harley scoring a brilliant free kick last season mmmmmmmmmm

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You took rumour as fact... that's my point... you are now back-tracking... well done...
I'm not quite sure how I'm backtracking or on what. It was a brief hypothetical exhchange of opinions which you seem to have missed the point of. Nevermind though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Wouldn't be disappointed if the money is sensible, he never really impressed me last season and can think of a number of realistic signings who would be an improvement.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My first preference would still be for CMS to stay and come good but I don't think that it's going to work out.

I think this is the key point - we have gone through the pre-season so far still not really creating chances for the strikers. We boss midfield but by the time the ball gets to where the front men are the opposition (even non-league) have time to get everyone back behind the ball - two ranks of defence and any available space denied. We deserately need to move the ball with pace if we are to make any use of CMS' abilities. Maybe a new midfielder will do that. Maybe a target man will provide knock downs. But as it stands we are going into the new season playing exactly as we did last year and no matter how well we do it that is never going to play to CMS' strengths. Something has to change.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I get what you're saying, Warnock is pretty much the definition of a manager who knows the division. But his team will be playing very different football to us, I can see the appeal of CMS to basically an old school manager. Also considering he's spent most of his career at this level, he's got three or four promotions, but plenty of mediocrity too. Whether it's a swap or a straight sale to fund something else I'd be happy to back Gus.

CMS struggled in the last two-thirds of last season, and I think the main reason was that the way we play isn't that well set up to accommodate him - for so much of the time last season and for all the effort he put in, he had to chase down defenders on his own (that was especially hard at the Amex given the size of the pitch) and did not get as much direct service as he would have wished for or would have been used to.

He does have the potential to be one of the leading goalscorers in this division, whoever he plays for, but unless Gus decides to introduce a more direct approach going forward this season, then he won't be getting 20-25 goals a season in an Albion shirt.

This year we need to be much more adaptable to the opposition like we were when we won League One, and gathering by recent interviews, Gus already has plans B, C and D up his sleeve for this coming campaign. However, Gus might have concluded that CMS can only play one of these ways, and maybe a more versatile front man is what is needed.

I'd like CMS to stay put as well myself, but if any deal is going to pave the way for one or two attackers to arrive that can play in a style that is more akin to how Gus wants us to, then I'm more than happy to trust Gus's judgement on this one.

Well, unless Billy Paynter is Gus's idea of a replacement.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think this is the key point - we have gone through the pre-season so far still not really creating chances for the strikers. We boss midfield but by the time the ball gets to where the front men are the opposition (even non-league) have time to get everyone back behind the ball - two ranks of defence and any available space denied. We deserately need to move the ball with pace if we are to make any use of CMS' abilities. Maybe a new midfielder will do that. Maybe a target man will provide knock downs. But as it stands we are going into the new season playing exactly as we did last year and no matter how well we do it that is never going to play to CMS' strengths. Something has to change.

I think Wayne Bridge will provide the "plan B" approach but we'll have to wait and see.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We're going to play like Spain !

Meanwhile,CMS goes elsewhere and bangs in dozens.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ditch Barnes? Our leading scorer? Our best finishing striker? Are you mad?
Barring Barnes who scored many penalties he is our best striker end of,he has scored 10 goals in each of his two seasons in the championship and both seasons he had dire service as we focused to much on defending.

CMS is quality end of :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I have an exceptional source that has just said CMS will leave for Leeds in a swap deal. This will be announced later today. I have absolutely no reason to doubt him.

Well if its going to happen, it didn't happen today. Gus wasn't exactly convincing about CMS staying at the Fans Forum. I guess a few things have to slot into place before the cogs start to move.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Barring Barnes who scored many penalties he is our best striker end of,he has scored 10 goals in each of his two seasons in the championship and both seasons he had dire service as we focused to much on defending.

CMS is quality end of :)

So barring our best striker, CMS is our best striker?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well if its going to happen, it didn't happen today. Gus wasn't exactly convincing about CMS staying at the Fans Forum. I guess a few things have to slot into place before the cogs start to move.

he was convincing enough...right now CMS is a brighton player...but he's been in football long enough to know that things can change...but there was certainly nothing said to back up these spurious reports on SSN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here