[Cricket] **LVCC Division One, Sussex v Somerset at Hove, Sep 14-17, 2015**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Giving up 2 wickets in a declaration to avoid conceding a bowling point will look mighty foolish if Somerset go on to win the game.
I can't really see how that will happen from this position given the weather forecast. I reckon we will be lucky to get three days play in, and we've just batted through one of them. Get that ton sorted, slog until we are 8 down then have a bowl. [emoji106]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep - great knock by Zaidi. 90* at a run a ball from that position is top stuff. Add to that he's only got one first class ton to his name hasn't he?

12 - including a double ton.

May just have earned himself another contract

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I can't really see how that will happen from this position given the weather forecast. I reckon we will be lucky to get three days play in, and we've just batted through one of them. Get that ton sorted, slog until we are 8 down then have a bowl. [emoji106]

Fingers crossed they can carry on early doors the way they batted this afternoon. 10 or 12 overs with these two still together could leave us 350-6 with an hour to fling the bat and get them in for a couple before lunch.
Alternatively 322 all out and back to square one :)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Is there not a new ball due in 2 overs time ie after 80 overs ? That could easily bring the end of the innings. Decent effort though to post 300 plus in such a critical game. We should be much better in the field with Jordan in the side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought a draw with a couple of bonus points batting or bowling will be enough to keep us up so why not just score as many as possible and dont declare. Or is a win needed?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Let's hope we stay up. I think we need to get Craig Cachopa and Matt Machan more focussed on 'crease longevity' for 2016. This coupled with a new seamer should see us more competitive in the 4 day game.

TNBA

TTF

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let's hope we stay up. I think we need to get Craig Cachopa and Matt Machan more focussed on 'crease longevity' for 2016. This coupled with a new seamer should see us more competitive in the 4 day game.

Machan's done all right: he's not far short of 1000 runs but Cachopa really hasn't fired. They'll need two (at least) new batsmen next year to replace Yards and Prior (and they didn't replace RHB). They're supposedly after Blake from Kent but could go for a new overseas player if the Goff ever gets his UK passport

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If the cricket Gods are with us we score 400, don't lose more than 8 wickets declare and then deprive them a bonus point, then hope our bowlers can get into them before the rains come on Wednesday.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely the tactic will be to bat on and aim for 400 and full batting points. Then try and win the game from there.

I agree. Not only do you get maximum batting points but you bat them out of the game and you also have a few runs to play with where you can set some attacking field placings.

The only caveat to that is by batting on a draw becomes more likely. Had the weather in Southampton continued to be poor then forfeiture of innings by both captains might have been a problem but that now look likes it won't be a factor.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports