Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **LVCC Division One, Sussex v Somerset at Hove, Sep 14-17, 2015**

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has anyone got any idea why we elected to bat first? Wasn't today going to all about cloud cover, moisture and breeze?

I can only assume this is down to the forecast for the next 3 days - intermittent rain until Friday. With more points available for batting than bowling, coupled with the fact that there is likely to be more moisture and cloud as the game progresses, not less.

Pure guess on my part, but before the start, maybe there was a chance that we might not see the conclusion of the two first innings before the game is finished?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've just looked at the weather forecast for Brighton and Southampton and it looks as though we'll be lucky to get 100 overs out of the final three days of this match. The same applies to Hants in Southampton. Both games look like being nailed-on draws, but both teams going about batting quite differently - Sussex run rate 3.96, Hants 2.80.

You could get an interesting scenario where Hampshire and Yorkshire might agree to forfeit an innings each; Hants need to win whilst Yorkshire have nothing to lose by going for the win as they're already Champions.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
2 points in the bag! 250-6

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can only assume this is down to the forecast for the next 3 days - intermittent rain until Friday. With more points available for batting than bowling, coupled with the fact that there is likely to be more moisture and cloud as the game progresses, not less.

Pure guess on my part, but before the start, maybe there was a chance that we might not see the conclusion of the two first innings before the game is finished?

I fancy that you were right about this. Quite a gamble given our batting has been sh1tehouse all season but if we can make 350 I fancy we'll be ahead of Somerset going into the final match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Zaidi carts 11 off that over. I'm starting to feel sorry for the Zomerset bowlers, they've had a brimful of Ashar this afternoon.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I've just looked at the weather forecast for Brighton and Southampton and it looks as though we'll be lucky to get 100 overs out of the final three days of this match. The same applies to Hants in Southampton. Both games look like being nailed-on draws, but both teams going about batting quite differently - Sussex run rate 3.96, Hants 2.80.

Met Office suggesting should be pretty much full day's play tomorrow/Thursday at Hove?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
300 up. Good recovery.
Guess one version of the game plan was to get to 350 / 400 and get off without losing more than 8 wickets. So I guess the score we're happy with but would've loved it to have been for 4 or less...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Met Office suggesting should be pretty much full day's play tomorrow/Thursday at Hove?

Yep, Met Office certainly reads better than weather.com which was forecasting a lots of rain tomorrow and Wednesday.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
300 up. Good recovery.
Guess one version of the game plan was to get to 350 / 400 and get off without losing more than 8 wickets. So I guess the score we're happy with but would've loved it to have been for 4 or less...

I assume we'll declare 8 down no matter what now, to stop them getting bowling points

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Day 1 - Stumps Sussex 303/6.

They may be bottom of the alphabet but top effort today by Yardy, Yootha and Zaidi.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Day 1 - Stumps Sussex 303/6.

They may be bottom of the alphabet but top effort today by Yardy, Yootha and Zaidi.

Yep - great knock by Zaidi. 90* at a run a ball from that position is top stuff. Add to that he's only got one first class ton to his name hasn't he? So at 171-6 I was just hoping for 1 batting point. Now we are in this game and arguably have our noses just in front.... We shall see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here