Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] LV County Championship Division Three - Worcestershire v Sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
CC isn’t the money making machine that T20 and the hundred is

The Hundred makes massive losses, it's not expected to break even for five or six years (if ever). It's not been designed to make money, it's been designed to attract new audiences to cricket.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sussex are trying to balance the books. Simple as really. Perhaps I'm in a minority, but the Championship has been great this year. Really good to see the progress of this team.

Would (or do) you pay to watch them though?
Or do you take a keen interest through the YouTube and BBC audio coverage?
Going forward, I think many supporters will be loathe to pay for season tickets to watch essentially a youth team.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If the Albion were back in League One with the best players not being able to get out of the door quick enough and the club playing the youth team in League matches .... Well it would take a special kind of optimist to see that glass as being anything other than nearly empty. (But hey, we had a good Cup run so that's ok).

That rings a bell. Oh yes, the Wilkins era. And then what happened!

Sussex had its chance with a financial windfall (Spen Cama) won the CC but the success couldn’t be sustained)

I have little hope for Sussex CCC

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That rings a bell. Oh yes, the Wilkins era. And then what happened!

Sussex had its chance with a financial windfall (Spen Cama) won the CC but the success couldn’t be sustained)

I have little hope for Sussex CCC

At least most of us were alive to witness Sussex winning the CC 3 times, and we have those memories. It may be an experience that our descendants will be denied.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No offence, but if you’re labouring under the impression that Sussex are ‘one of the richest counties’, then you’re not taking a very close interest. In short, the non-Test hosting counties are simply unable to compete with the Test counties.

Edit. Sorry, I guess you might have meant Sussex the actual county, rather than the cricket club? That might be true, but in this context scarcely relevant.

I agree. There is a divide now. Especially 'after' Covid. I just like the fact Sussex still exist.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
At least most of us were alive to witness Sussex winning the CC 3 times, and we have those memories. It may be an experience that our descendants will be denied.

Indeed. And to carry the football analogy on for a bit: Brighton had pretty much always been a struggling lower league club (the 'Glory Years' under Mullery being pretty much the only exception) and the Wilkins era was actually pretty good in comparison to some periods in our history. Imagine going back to that level from where we are now.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Worcs 71/3 the kids are alright

Edit: worth watching the catch at short leg for the third wicket

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Great 5 over spell from Ibrahim there. He conceded a single off his 2nd ball and that was it - 28 balls after that for 0 runs and 1 wicket!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Great 5 over spell from Ibrahim there. He conceded a single off his 2nd ball and that was it - 28 balls after that for 0 runs and 1 wicket!

Young Danial back on and takes another.

He has now taken 2 for 7 off 8 overs.

Worcs 151/4, 113 behind

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The kids are all right

Definitely. Excellent effort in this match so far.

Brilliant that they are competing well as a team and individuals are showing so much promise. #GOSBTS

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All out for 213

Handy lead that

I hadn't realised until the Guardian mentioned it, that the entire Sussex team is uncapped (I thought Haines had his). That must be a first in CC cricket

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
1/2 uh oh not a great decision by the looks

edit: nah stuck on the crease

Looking again you tend to feel Ward should have pulled away, he didn't look at all ready for the delivery

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We've had a first innings lead in most of our games over the past two seasons and still manage to keep losing. We have a real issue with the second innings for some reason

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here