Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] LV= County Championship Division One, Yorkshire v Sussex at Leeds, Sep 22-25, 2015

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hence the quotes. Shouldn't be anywhere near the England team. Woeful player.

Agree. Seems that if England need a player they simply pick whoever plays in the position for Yorkshire, unless they're not English!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree. Seems that if England need a player they simply pick whoever plays in the position for Yorkshire, unless they're not English!

Almost - they go to Yorkshire, Lancashire or Surrey. This is because these 3 counties are home to the largest and probably best county leagues. However, as a consequence of that, the ECB act as if no other county has any local infrastructure at all, and cannot possibly produce decent players as a result, meaning their players get overlooked.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think we only need 5 bonus points to be sure of another season of top division ineptitude? So, best release Hatchery and Jordan first on that notoriously dodgy first day Headingly pitch, let's face it, we won't get many bonus points batting first.

I thought we needed 8 points from the game.

So by my reckoning Hampshire are 16 points behind which is what they will get if they win so we need to get more bonus points than them in the first innings to 100% guarantee safety

I make it 9 points for safety. Hampshire win with maximum bonus makes 24 points, add that to the 141 they have = 165. 8 points puts Sussex on 165 with more matches lost than Hampshire, we would go down. Therefore 9 points to stay up for certain.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I make it 9 points for safety. Hampshire win with maximum bonus makes 24 points, add that to the 141 they have = 165. 8 points puts Sussex on 165 with more matches lost than Hampshire, we would go down. Therefore 9 points to stay up for certain.

So last week's gamble by Hampshire to forfeit an innings and force a result is looking like a shocking decision now. Had they taken the additional 5 points for a certain draw, we'd have needed to WIN this one to be sure of staying up - at table-topping Yorkshire, with all their England players back.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Almost - they go to Yorkshire, Lancashire or Surrey. This is because these 3 counties are home to the largest and probably best county leagues. However, as a consequence of that, the ECB act as if no other county has any local infrastructure at all, and cannot possibly produce decent players as a result, meaning their players get overlooked.

Yorkshire do seem to be producing them at the moment. Even without all their England players, they have walked the county championship (twice) using mostly home grown players.

The sun is now shining in Leeds, blue skies and fluffy white clouds.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So last week's gamble by Hampshire to forfeit an innings and force a result is looking like a shocking decision now. Had they taken the additional 5 points for a certain draw, we'd have needed to WIN this one to be sure of staying up - at table-topping Yorkshire, with all their England players back.

It does now, but I guess their thinking was that if there was ever a chance of beating Yorkshire it was then. They must have forgotten just how useless Sussex are.

Yorks 22-1
Notts 29-2

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fantastic news. :down:
Quite. Unbelievable that Yorkshire are batting in those conditions. If we don't get a bit further with the new ball then we are not looking great for bowling points here or indeed for a good foothold in the match.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Notts 3 down

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Notts all out as soon as possible and then Hampshire into the same conditions and out for less than 300 might give us our best chance of survival (but can we get 6 points...?).

Stuart Broad will need to bowl properly in any event.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
As usual for Leeds it was a short spell of sunshine, now clouding over heavily again

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Notts all out as soon as possible and then Hampshire into the same conditions and out for less than 300 might give us our best chance of survival (but can we get 6 points...?).

Stuart Broad will need to bowl properly in any event.

Now county cricket is one thing that can really bring out some seemingly reverse thinking scenarios. I am still struggling with this one in hoping Notts get bowled out as soon as possible...:shrug:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Now county cricket is one thing that can really bring out some seemingly reverse thinking scenarios. I am still struggling with this one in hoping Notts get bowled out as soon as possible...:shrug:

I guess he's thinking that there are only 3 bowling points avaialble, and Hants WILL get them one way or another. In this case, he's suggesting that he'd prefer Hants to bat today, reducign their chances or tucking into the lovely 5 batting points on offer. high risk strategy.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You are right of course. The clatter of wickets at Trent Bridge had me doing the mental equivalent of scrambling around the club kit bag trying to find a pair of batting gloves...

Much better will be Notts' glorious passage to 400+ and Hants being out of the game. :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You are right of course. The clatter of wickets at Trent Bridge had me doing the mental equivalent of scrambling around the club kit bag trying to find a pair of batting gloves...

Much better will be Notts' glorious passage to 400+ and Hants being out of the game. :)

Ha ha, I know where you were coming from, but regardless of bonus points here, both sides being bowled out cheaply makes a result much more likely...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yorkshire 55-1, so not looking great bowling 1st.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here