Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Luton Town vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Player Ratings ***

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
After 50 years watching us live, and travelling long distances (a home game is a 12 hour round trip) I broke my all time record today for an early leave, 54 minutes on 0-4 down.

RDZ made the same mistake as at Sheff U. The back 5 is a shambles. Igor so narrow, clueless, Perv miles away up the flank. That was 5 goals in a row all conceded through the channel where igor should be, but wasn’t. The coach should learn, adapt, change and shore up. But he didn’t. He wears this. As does Igor for dreadful unprofessional awareness. Dunk was ripping Igor’s head off on the third goal.

Only WBG emerges with the slightest credit. Everyone else, shocker, hang your heads.

4 nil, and we’re walking home…
Agree totally we got away with Saturday, today we didn't. 100% down to RDZ

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
After 50 years watching us live, and travelling long distances (a home game is a 12 hour round trip) I broke my all time record today for an early leave, 54 minutes on 0-4 down.

RDZ made the same mistake as at Sheff U. The back 5 is a shambles. Igor so narrow, clueless, Perv miles away up the flank. That was 5 goals in a row all conceded through the channel where igor should be, but wasn’t. The coach should learn, adapt, change and shore up. But he didn’t. He wears this. As does Igor for dreadful unprofessional awareness. Dunk was ripping Igor’s head off on the third goal.

Only WBG emerges with the slightest credit. Everyone else, shocker, hang your heads.

4 nil, and we’re walking home…
Were you towards the back, near the refreshment kiosk in the corner, wearing a black and white (>) scarf?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Just got back. Garbage

6 - average

Steele - 3 - culpable for at least two goals, redeemed himself a little.
Pervis - 3 - looks injured
Igor - 3 - looked like he’d never played before
JPvH - 4 - weak throughout
Dunk - 3 - owned completely, arguably worst performance for Brighton
Milner - N/A
Hinshelwood - 3 - first time he’s looked out of his depth
Gross - 4 - just poor
Gilmour - 5 - pick of the players
Buononotte - 3 - family flown in, plays a shocker. Disappointed for him.
Pedro - 4 - had his moments, but ineffective
Welbeck - 4 - missed our best chance

Ferguson - 3.5 - off form
Lamptey - 3 - barely passed to
Baleba - 5 - thought he did okay
Moder - 3 - struggling to find his form.

RdZ - 4 - should have removed Pedro earlier and saved him.

If you hadn’t worked out, I’m really feckin pissed off.
The trouble with all this is this,.... our system requires a functioning set of 3 or 4 players being in the right place at the right time, for every possession.... sadly, and this is the weakness of this strategy, if one or two of said players, in said possession, are off the pace, or forced by opposing pressure to be off the pace, then it all falls apart..... ie for 90 odd minutes last night..... the system is so rigid that it leaves little room for a workable plan B should the need arise.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm going to have to take issue with that statement.

You might want to take another look at the highlights.
A competent goalkeeper saves at least 2 of those, with only the fourth being the real exception. And even then, a half dominant keeper moves off his line 5 yards to try and punch the fourth.

He only ever makes saves if they’re right at him and he doesn’t have to move. It’s just not enough at this level.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A competent goalkeeper saves at least 2 of those, with only the fourth being the real exception. And even then, a half dominant keeper moves off his line 5 yards to try and punch the fourth.

He only ever makes saves if they’re right at him and he doesn’t have to move. It’s just not enough at this level.
I'm not going to get into the "he only ever" type comments, because they just aren't true.
He is good enough for this level, and is exceptional with his feet.
Exactly what we need in fact.

But last night he could have done a lot better with all 4 goals.
He was uncharacteristically timid (as were the rest of the team), staying on his line or being caught in two minds for each one.

Luton were excellent and we were collectively rattled.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not going to get into the "he only ever" type comments, because they just aren't true.
He is good enough for this level, and is exceptional with his feet.
Exactly what we need in fact.

But last night he could have done a lot better with all 4 goals.
He was uncharacteristically timid (as were the rest of the team), staying on his line or being caught in two minds for each one.

Luton were excellent and we were collectively rattled.
I’m not saying he was the only one at fault. He wasn’t. Everyone was awful.

I just disagreed with the original post. And I don’t think I’ve said anything particularly controversial.

And, to be honest, I think he is a timid goalkeeper. And I don’t think he is good enough for this level outside of his footwork, which I acknowledge is exceptional. But for me personally, having exceptional footwork isn’t enough for a Prem keeper. You need to do the basics well, and he fails time and time again to do that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Steele couldn’t do anything about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals.

Igor was awful (was pretty bad at Sheff Utd at the weekend too)

Buonanotte has talent; we can all see that; but he dives and throws himself to ground far too often - rather irritating

Ferguson looks like he doesn’t want to be here, been dreadful for a while now and genuinely looks so far away from the player who first broke through - yes I know he’s still a teenager, but recently he’s been awful

Hinshelwood looked like he won the competition of who can come on and play in a professional game - this is harsh I know because he’s been excellent up until today
Of course Ferg wants to be here, just a striker low on confidence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here