Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke Shaw 30m, Toni Kroos 24m

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
people keep saying this, but I've yet to hear an explanation why. especially when everyone says they're not as good, and demand higher wages. one of life's mysteries.

My take is this.
Clubs require home grown players. Therefore there is a demand for them. Supply of decent ones is slim to say the least. So when 1 appears people pay silly money. English players rarely go abroad either so someone like Shaw could well be at united for the 12 years. £30 million not so bad as reality one position covered for 2.5 million a season.
I do disagree with paying him 100k a week mind

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
ON a similar theme, Arsenal have paid £16m for an untested 18 year old full back, so they can play him at CB, in place of their experienced International CB, who they might sell for £10m.

The world's gone mad.

Who's this may I ask?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
???? You're going to have to explain this one to me.

English players always seem to be 10x more expensive then foreign players of the same ability, look at Andy Carrol for example.

And my second point was hes 5 years younger then Kroos, 5 years in football are more like dog years :lol:

If Shaw fulfils his potential then United can sell him for a profit, players are like houses in that their prices only rise, plus they will make that back in shirts and other merchandise in no time. Left back's are a rare breed to.

And like other people have mentioned Kroos was in his last year of his contract.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
English players always seem to be 10x more expensive then foreign players of the same ability, look at Andy Carrol for example.

And my second point was hes 5 years younger then Kroos, 5 years in football are more like dog years :lol:

If Shaw fulfils his potential then United can sell him for a profit, players are like houses in that their prices only rise, plus they will make that back in shirts and other merchandise in no time. Left back's are a rare breed to.

And like other people have mentioned Kroos was in his last year of his contract.

Apart from Andy Carroll who you mentioned, and Fellaini...

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
It's not as simple as that though is it.

Kroos will be on higher wages than Shaw, probably quite significantly, so the total package for Kroos will be more when you factor in his wages over his contract. Also Kroos was out of contract next summer and not signing a new one so they had to cash in, had he been in a similar situation to Shaw having signed a long term contract you'd probably be looking at more like double his transfer price.

Kroos is on a reported circa 80k pw, whereas shaw is on a reported 100k pw!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kroos is on a reported circa 80k pw, whereas shaw is on a reported 100k pw!

I've read all the posts. I still think the Shaw deal is a total waste of money when you compare it to what else you can buy.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I've read all the posts. I still think the Shaw deal is a total waste of money when you compare it to what else you can buy.

Name a better LB United could of bought? The kid is 19 and already an experienced Premier League player with World Cup experience? I agree it was probably a little steep but thats the way the market has gone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Name a better LB United could of bought? The kid is 19 and already an experienced Premier League player with World Cup experience? I agree it was probably a little steep but thats the way the market has gone.

Alberto Moreno

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Alberto Moreno

Shaw is the better player IMO. Both are prospects, but Moreno is what 23 now? He may also not settle in the Prem if he came over and could also end up wanting to move to Real or Barca at some point if he did become an outstanding player. Still it looks like he could end up in the Prem soon so time will tell.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here are some more:

It’s been another summer of hyper-inflated fees for England - Jack Rodwell joining Sunderland for £10m after making seven league starts in two years; Calum Chambers joining Arsenal for £16m on the strength of a 21-game career; and Hull spending £8m on Jake Livermore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shaw is the better player IMO. Both are prospects, but Moreno is what 23 now? He may also not settle in the Prem if he came over and could also end up wanting to move to Real or Barca at some point if he did become an outstanding player. Still it looks like he could end up in the Prem soon so time will tell.

This is all guess work though. I could say Shaw might not fulfil his promise to counter you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here