Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke Shaw 30m, Toni Kroos 24m

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The real question is why did Bayern find themselves in a position where selling Kroos for £20m made good sense

Because his contract with Bayern had only a year to run. So you could say that £24m was a fantastic piece of business.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The real question is why did Bayern find themselves in a position where selling Kroos for £20m made good sense

He ran his contract down. They had the choice of 24m now, or nothing in under a year. Bit like the Barnes situation, only totally different.:mad:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If length left on contract was the only factor we should have picked up Baldock for about £1 million by now.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He ran his contract down. They had the choice of 24m now, or nothing in under a year. Bit like the Barnes situation, only totally different.:mad:

Barnes is signing for Real Madrid for £24 million less than a year after we sold him to Burnley for £750,000?

Barber OUT, Burke OUT, SACK the board.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Because his contract with Bayern had only a year to run. So you could say that £24m was a fantastic piece of business.

Right but why was he running his contract down?
I thought he let it run down as he was behind other players (they spend a load on Martinez and Thiago). If it was just to get a bigger contract and a move to a bigger club then they did alright, but as it's Bayern that's can't be taken for granted

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's where I do disagree. For me there is no Left back in the world worth 30 million right now, and it is even more unlikely Shaw will actually develop to a higher calibre then say Marcelo, Filpe Luis and other class left back.

Marcelo :lolol:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
You do pay more for English players. However, I am convinced that Shaw will be world class.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Supply and demand. You basically pay a premium for english players

people keep saying this, but I've yet to hear an explanation why. especially when everyone says they're not as good, and demand higher wages. one of life's mysteries.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
However, I am convinced that Shaw will be world class.

I agree. If Rooney and Gerrard can be called world class then I'm certain Shaw can be termed similarly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
people keep saying this, but I've yet to hear an explanation why. especially when everyone says they're not as good, and demand higher wages. one of life's mysteries.

Because Premier League, Football League, Europa League and Champions League regulations all state you must have a certain amount of "home-grown" players in your squad.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I agree. If Rooney and Gerrard can be called world class then I'm certain Shaw can be termed similarly.

I'm convinced that if he was a right winger, you would despise him :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because Premier League, Football League, Europa League and Champions League regulations all state you must have a certain amount of "home-grown" players in your squad.

How many must you have?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think it's 8 in PL and CL. If you can't name 8 you have to name a smaller squad(I think)

That sounds right, for every player under the 8 you name in your squad you have to leave a gap in the 25 to account for him.

Most competitions do allow an unlimited number of under-21's (regardless of nationality) as long as they meet a clause along the lines of 'been at the club for over two years already'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here