Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Luke McCormick back at Plymouth

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
He is a ****

Have you never been over the limit whilst driving? If you haven't, do you know that for a fact?

I am sure I have been. Go to a 21st party and drive home the next day and so on. Pretty sure a small proportion get caught, an even smaller proportion create such devastating repercussions.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Have you never been over the limit whilst driving? If you haven't, do you know that for a fact?

I am sure I have been. Go to a 21st party and drive home the next day and so on. Pretty sure a small proportion get caught, an even smaller proportion create such devastating repercussions.

I don't drive.

I think if he was a brick layer returning to work would be ok but he is in the public eye every week, it's rubbing what he done in the family's face, drink driving is bad and not everyone that drink drives is a bad person!.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Plymouth Chairman:

"Luke is remorseful and deserves his rehabilitation"

No, no he doesn't, he deserves NOTHING of the sort, he deserves to be vilified everywhere he goes by everyone he meets. He deserves to be reminded daily what he did.

I doubt very much that he needs some anonymous keyboard warrior to remind him what he did. From what I have seen in the past on this case he was remorseful from the very moment he was standing at the police station and was given the news. He didn't run away, he didn't plead not guilty. He made a mistake which had a catastrophic outcome which cannot be reversed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not entirely sure that if I was to get pissed, attempt to drive home, kill 2 young boys and serve time in prison my empolyers would re-employ me.

football has it's own rules, most of them are shit.

That's simply not true. There are plenty of people in employment who've done time for things. There is no "rule" for football, and I'm sorry, but no matter how appalling this incident was, the man was given a sentence, which he has now served, and he is entitled to work just as anyone else is. We can't say that, just because his profession happens to be an attractive one, he shouldn't ever work again. We can't tell people what jobs they can and can't do simply because we don't like what they've done in the past.

Besides. He's been working (at Oxford) for months now, so I fail to see what difference it makes that Plymouth have re-signed him. It's not news.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Drink-driving is one of those crimes where the punishment fits the consequences, not the crime itself. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it seems strange that on drunk driver can get points on his license and another can go to jail.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Drink-driving is one of those crimes where the punishment fits the consequences, not the crime itself. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it seems strange that on drunk driver can get points on his license and another can go to jail.

He was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving as well as driving whilst over the prescribed limit, which is why he went to prison whilst others only get banned.

If you kill someone as a result of your actions, a custodial sentence is almost inevitable.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
He was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving as well as driving whilst over the prescribed limit, which is why he went to prison whilst others only get banned.

If you kill someone as a result of your actions, a custodial sentence is almost inevitable.

Well yes, and I guess it should be.

Still, murder and attempted murder get the same sentences don't they?

Remember that Gary Hart case, the guy who fell asleep at the wheel and his car went off the motoway, down the bank and onto the railway track, causing a train crash and a number of deaths. Such a freak accident and he got seven years for it, whereas most other people who fall asleep at the wheel probably get told to go and get a coffee.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
while there are no excuses for the terrible consequences of his actions, he was found guilty and has served his time, and the day he tore apart a family will live with him for the rest of his life; If anyone on here has a real problem with him playing for Plymouth again, why not write to the chairman ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I kind of agree with Edna. And as I often say, I do not want to live in a world where we can't forgive. I will feel more comfortable with this if he shows remorse etc which seems to be the case. His situation and the way he has conducted himself since his release contrasts greatly with that of say Lee Hughes who is still the same bad tempered and snarling bell-end he was before he did porridge.

**** knows what it must be like for the victim's family though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Remember that Gary Hart case, the guy who fell asleep at the wheel and his car went off the motoway, down the bank and onto the railway track, causing a train crash and a number of deaths. Such a freak accident and he got seven years for it, whereas most other people who fall asleep at the wheel probably get told to go and get a coffee.

Wasn't that the case that he had been up all night texting a girlfriend and I seem to recall the evidence suggested he may well have been on the phone during his journey. He wasn't fit to start driving in the first place.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth Chairman:

"Luke is remorseful and deserves his rehabilitation"

No, no he doesn't, he deserves NOTHING of the sort, he deserves to be vilified everywhere he goes by everyone he meets. He deserves to be reminded daily what he did.
He won't need reminding. That will be in his head for life. He's done his time so it is now his chance to attempt to get on with his life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True. But then we all have to be a responsibility for our own actions. If it is a genuine accident then fine but anything other then you have to be prepared to accept the consequences of these actions which in Gary Hart's case were pretty grave.....a freak accident set in motion by his foolish decision to drive.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Think the justice system needs to look at itself, he killed 2 young boys while over the limit, should get life IMO, fact is he's out, and getting on with his life, I'm sure he will get tonnes of abuse though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I read a story a while back about how a mother forgave the killer of her daughter. Very interesting, and conveyed how complicated personally and within the family the grieving process and closure on such things can be. I was amazed how strong the mother was but she saw this as the only way of reconciling what had happened with the rest of her life. It took a number of years to reach this state though not to mention some disagreement within her extended family. I also believe the killer was released.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Think the justice system needs to look at itself, he killed 2 young boys while over the limit, should get life IMO, fact is he's out, and getting on with his life, I'm sure he will get tonnes of abuse though

Indeed. If a sex abuser killed a kid then all hell would let loose if he was allowed to re-enter society and rightly so. He killed two by committing a serious crime and is now back working.

As said earlier, the law allows that. The law is an ass.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

I can understand the sentiment. To be followed through on though, every drunk driver should go to prison, irrespective of whether they kill or injure someone, or not. Think that's what I'm getting at earlier.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Wasn't that the case that he had been up all night texting a girlfriend and I seem to recall the evidence suggested he may well have been on the phone during his journey. He wasn't fit to start driving in the first place.

Thats true, he certainly wasn't. And yet he probably wouldn't have even been arrested if his car had merely ended up in the grass verge.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I find myself agreeing with what you have to say about driving offences, but there are plenty of other offences where the punishment fits the consequences. If you punch someone randomly, you might get community service. If you do so, and the victim falls to the pavement, bangs his head and dies of a brain hemorrhage, you can expect a stretch inside.

The bottom line is that you can act with impunity and complete disregard for the law, and then be incredibly unlucky (like Gary Hart). But the things is, we all know that - the law is in place to reduce the likelihood of such incidents. Don't ignore the law because if you do, you deserve what you get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here