Luke Brattan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Even with JFC out on loan, do we need another central midfielder? Ince & Crofts are waiting in the wings so Brattan will find it difficult to get games if this is all true.

Yes but it's still not clear yet on how fit Crofts is, he hasn't even been on the bench yet and he would be the box to box midfielder to replace one of Kayal/Stephens. Ince is a defensive midfielder who CH is trying to turn into a box to box midfielder.

Brattan is a creative midfielder type who scores goals, so he would be an excellent back up to Kayal/Stephens along with Crofts (if fit)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Even with JFC out on loan, do we need another central midfielder? Ince & Crofts are waiting in the wings so Brattan will find it difficult to get games if this is all true.

Crofts is in the final year of his contract, is 31 and is now trying to come back from a second serious injury in 2 years. He's been out for nearly a year and only played 8 games on his return from his original injury. It's going to be a tough ask of him to be anywhere near the player he was before these injuries. Will he even be at the club next season?

Brattan on the other hand is only 25 and very highly regarded, even if we have plenty of central midfielders now that may not be the case at the end of the season. If we turn him down now he won't be available at the end of the season when we might actually need him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
True. But is he realistically ever going to play for Man City? Really?
Of course not, they can take him for free and sell him on though. They could also loan him to Melbourne who have the same owners as City....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course not, they can take him for free and sell him on though. They could also loan him to Melbourne who have the same owners as City....
But they couldn't loan him to Melbourne until Jan 14th when the next Australian transfer window opens...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wasn't at all fussed by this potential transfer, as from watching him on TV I'm not convinced he's all that.

However, now he's apparently good enough for City, I'll be gutted if we don't get him :dunce:

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Indeed. I'm not convinced we really need this player anyway so I can't say I'm that fussed.

We need a CM who can fit in to a 4-4-2 seamlessly, in case Kayal or Stephens get injured or suffer a loss in form. Crofts is probably the best option but it seems the club is not convinced, hence why he hasn't made the bench.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We need a CM who can fit in to a 4-4-2 seamlessly, in case Kayal or Stephens get injured or suffer a loss in form. .

If Brattan is genuinely good enough for Manchester City, then he would start AHEAD of either.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
If Brattan is genuinely good enough for Manchester City, then he would start AHEAD of either.

It really depends what Man City's motives are. Of course if they are signing him their idea must be he'll hopefully be good enough to play for their first team in a few seasons time. But it's quite a low risk punt given they don't have to pay a transfer fee, and if he impresses on loan but doesn't quite make the grade they could sell him on.

It probably comes down to wages but worth noting he's on the fringes of the Aussie national team, so it might be more beneficial for him to join us and get some more guaranteed game time rather than being left up in the air joining Man City. Seem to recall a few big European names were in for Elvis, similar choice perhaps?

Sep 6, 2015
Have watched a lot of Brattan in the A. League.

Not convinced he is good enough to play for Brighton let alone Man City.

Only on the fringes of Aussie team, Massimo Luongo is a heaps better player.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Have watched a lot of Brattan in the A. League.

Not convinced he is good enough to play for Brighton let alone Man City.

Only on the fringes of Aussie team, Massimo Luongo is a heaps better player.

Got to agree with this, maybe they are just looking further a field to see what is going on.
Mind you Kewell, Cahill and Schwartzer did alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports