Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luis Suarez Banned For 10 Matches For Ivanovic Bite

I would like to go on record as stating that I think the 10 games IS over the top, especially taking into account Defoes yellow card for biting and the length of the racist abuse bans.

And that makes it all the sweeter.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wonder what witty protest they will perform.

Well obviously the Liverpool players will be wearing their standard issue black armbands for the duration of the suspension, and dusting off their 'Free Luis Suarez' t-shirts again. And I expect there'll be some kind of benefit concert organised in Stanley Park over the summer to publicise the monstrous, catastrophic injustice of this heinous punishment. Maybe a march on Parliament, with Stevie G at the head of a braying mob of unemployable outraged scouse nuggets wielding a series of haphazard, poorly constructed bearly legible signs and banners through the streets of London.

Yup, I can see that.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Wasn't Charlie Oatway sent off for biting a players ear once? What ban did he get?

ALBION tough guy Charlie Oatway has broken his silence over the "silly" red card which cost him a three game ban

The tigerish midfielder was sent-off at Darlington for biting the face of opponent Brian Atkinson.

Oatway, available again for tomorrow's showdown at second-placed Peterborough, said: "I know I was silly. I just flipped. It was my own fault and I apologised to everyone.

"Watching games is terrible. It has been a pain. The results have gone against us as well, except the last one against Cheltenham, and we haven't been playing well.

"But that's nothing to do with the fact that I've been missing. We've just been going through a bad time.

Ruts

"You get into these ruts, but hopefully we turned the corner by picking up three points last Saturday.

"Peterborough are quite a young side and they try to play a lot. If we get stuck in then hopefully we can collect another win."

Oatway' training was restricted by a bad back during his suspension and manager Micky Adams gave him a run-out in the Reserves for an hour at Portsmouth on Wednesday.

"I think that was important," said Adams. "It would have been easy for me not to have played him, but he needed a blow and some competitive football.

"He has put himself back in the frame and is ready for action again, if selected."

Warren Aspinall and Danny Cullip are poised for their away debuts, but Ross Johnson is ruled out by a heel injury. Paul Armstrong is added to the squad after recovering from an ankle problem.

Albion's away form has been impressive. They suffered their only defeat in injury time at Halifax and have won on their last two visits to London Road.

"It's going to be a very difficult task for us," Adams added. "But I am hopeful a certain amount of confidence has been restored and we will be having a go."

Peterborough (probable): Tyler; Hooper, Chapple, Edwards, Drury, Farrell, Davies, Etherington, Castle, Clarke, Forinton. Subs: Scott, Shields, Griemink, Martin, Rea.

Albion (from): Ormerod; Watson, Campbell, McPherson, Freeman, Rogers, Hart, Oatway, Wilder, Cullip, Aspinall, Hobson, Cameron, Newhouse, Mayo, Thomas, Armstrong.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
On the BBC website, they have a short list of the longest bans handed out by the FA: BBC Sport - Luis Suarez 10-game ban: FA punishes Liverpool striker for bite

9 months - Manchester United's Eric Cantona for 'kung-fu' kicking a supporter in 1995
9 months - Chelsea keeper Mark Bosnich who tested positive for cocaine in 2003
8 months - Rio Ferdinand of Manchester United for missing a drugs test in 2003
7 months - Sacked Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu for failing a drug test in 2004
12 games - QPR's Joey Barton for two counts of violent conduct against Manchester City players in 2012
11 games - Sheffield Wednesday's Paolo Di Canio for pushing referee Paul Alcock in 1998
10 games - Southampton's David Prutton for shoving referee Alan Wiley in 2005
10 games - Luis Suarez for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013
9 games - Paul Davis of Arsenal for punching Southampton's Glenn Cockerill in 1988 and breaking his jaw
8 games - Luis Suarez for racially abusing Patrice Evra in 2011
8 games - Man City's Ben Thatcher for elbowing Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes in 2006

Our Ashley nearly got on there :lolol:

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
There's something wrong with the whole system. A tackle that could end a player's career gets a straight red card and 3 game ban. I find Ivanovic's reaction pathetic. Either he showed great self control or the bite didn't hurt because the first thing he did was cry to the referee, most people would have decked Suarez.

Criticising him for not reacting? He should be commended for not reacting at the time or for taking him out later on in the match

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I would like to go on record as stating that I think the 10 games IS over the top, especially taking into account Defoes yellow card for biting and the length of the racist abuse bans.

And that makes it all the sweeter.

He was warned about his future conduct which is why it is longer than it might have been had he not had disciplinary problems before

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ooops!

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Criticising him for not reacting? He should be commended for not reacting at the time or for taking him out later on in the match

Despite the number of people talking about how they would take revenge against suarez, I think most people would actually act like ivanovic. There'd be a wtf?! get off! moment then a "can you believe he did that?!" moment of shock. Sure, some would swing at him, but I think that most people wouldn't.

Despite the number of people talking about how they would take revenge against suarez, I think most people would actually act like ivanovic. There'd be a wtf?! get off! moment then a "can you believe he did that?!" moment of shock. Sure, some would swing at him, but I think that most people wouldn't.

Should have bitten him back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Huh? Cantona got 9 months. Not 9 games
:lolol: :ffsparr: :wrong: :blush: :whistle: Oops

How about this one then: "Paul Davis of Arsenal for punching Southampton's Glenn Cockerill in 1988 and breaking his jaw"
I'd rather someone gave me a love bite.

Not that I give a stuff about Liverpool or Suarez, it does seem a bit much to me - presumably it's just because biting is weird, whereas kicking someone is normal.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
On the BBC website, they have a short list of the longest bans handed out by the FA: BBC Sport - Luis Suarez 10-game ban: FA punishes Liverpool striker for bite

9 months - Manchester United's Eric Cantona for 'kung-fu' kicking a supporter in 1995
9 months - Chelsea keeper Mark Bosnich who tested positive for cocaine in 2003
7 months - Sacked Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu for failing a drug test in 2004
12 games - QPR's Joey Barton for two counts of violent conduct against Manchester City players in 2012
11 games - Sheffield Wednesday's Paolo Di Canio for pushing referee Paul Alcock in 1998
10 games - Southampton's David Prutton for shoving referee Alan Wiley in 2005
10 games - Luis Suarez for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013
9 games - Paul Davis of Arsenal for punching Southampton's Glenn Cockerill in 1988 and breaking his jaw
8 games - Luis Suarez for racially abusing Patrice Evra in 2011
8 games - Man City's Ben Thatcher for elbowing Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes in 2006

Our Ashley nearly got on there :lolol:

Ben Thatcher should have got more. That was a shocking assault on Mendes

Lush

Mods' Pet

And you don't hear of any big bollocks Prem players thinking they're above the law and doing that again.

Punishments should be deterrents too, which is why it's hard to argue about the Barnes ban.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

And you don't hear of any big bollocks Prem players thinking they're above the law and doing that again.

Punishments should be deterrents too, which is why it's hard to argue about the Barnes ban.

I agree. So why aren't career ending tackled so harshly?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
:lolol: :ffsparr: :wrong: :blush: :whistle: Oops

How about this one then: "Paul Davis of Arsenal for punching Southampton's Glenn Cockerill in 1988 and breaking his jaw"
I'd rather someone gave me a love bite.

Not that I give a stuff about Liverpool or Suarez, it does seem a bit much to me - presumably it's just because biting is weird, whereas kicking someone is normal.

I can clearly recall a game in the 70's when Billy Bremner and Ron Harris traded punches during a game and the ref just told them to stop it and get on with the game. not even a booking as I recall.

Times change, what is acceptable on a football pitch would not be acceptable down West St on a saturday night, but slowly the punishments are increasing. Sooner or later someone will be done by the Rozzer's.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There's something wrong with the whole system. A tackle that could end a player's career gets a straight red card and 3 game ban. I find Ivanovic's reaction pathetic. Either he showed great self control or the bite didn't hurt because the first thing he did was cry to the referee, most people would have decked Suarez.

You make it sound as if it is Ivanovic's fault for being bitten. If he had decked Suarez, he would have been quite rightly sent off. Thank God he has got some self control.

And I agree 10 games is too much - out of proportion when compared to career threatening tackles

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here