Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luis Suarez Banned For 10 Matches For Ivanovic Bite

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Reading some of the Liverpool forums is quality.

So far:

The FA is racist.
The FA is corrupt.
They should take the FA to court.
They should boycott the FA cup.

Brilliant stuff.
I could not resist looking too, the Scousers really are not happy, there is the odd " he had this coming " " He deserved it " comment but they are being battered by their own fans quite vociferously. I think they are going to lose their Google Ads for a few weeks too with the liberal use of 4 letter words !

I remember when the Suarez racism row blew up, a very high percentage changed their avatar to a picture of Suarez with the tag line " Not a Racist "....... was expecting " Not a Cannibal " now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But is it fair to use the dutch incident? It was a different league, a different authority. Punishments there should have no bearing on punishments here.

To be honest the game is a shambles. UEFA / FIFA should standardise punishments for misdemeanours because there needs to be consistency for each offence.

There haven't been too many cases of biting, the Dutch had one, looked at it and decided upon 7 matches. I don't see what is fundamentally any different between the two scenarios apart from the second biting incident had a larger worldwide audience and so the collatoral damage is greater.

Football is fast becoming a laughing stock, at odds with the rest of the sporting world which manages to adapt to technology, demand from punters and the general improvement in professional standards.

This is a case in point. Football has shunned the implementation of technology, yet the only reason Suarez is getting banned is BECAUSE of technology. The cameras picked up the bite but the ref did nothing, Suarez went on to score and deprive Chelsea of 2 points. It could costs Chelsea a Champions League place and Rafa his job but, hey ho, we've all got something to talk about in the pub afterwards.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The rule is that if it is dealt with in play then you can't add another punishment afterwards. I agree that it needs to be looked at, but still not sure why you mentioned him being black.

Like with Roy Keane's foul on Haland, that was seen, acted on, punished, and then punished again a year later?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
If liverpool fans understood the effects of rabies, they'd know better than to defend Suarez. (Liverpudlians included)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To be honest the game is a shambles. UEFA / FIFA should standardise punishments for misdemeanours because there needs to be consistency for each offence.

There haven't been too many cases of biting, the Dutch had one, looked at it and decided upon 7 matches. I don't see what is fundamentally any different between the two scenarios apart from the second biting incident had a larger worldwide audience and so the collatoral damage is greater.

Football is fast becoming a laughing stock, at odds with the rest of the sporting world which manages to adapt to technology, demand from punters and the general improvement in professional standards.

This is a case in point. Football has shunned the implementation of technology, yet the only reason Suarez is getting banned is BECAUSE of technology. The cameras picked up the bite but the ref did nothing, Suarez went on to score and deprive Chelsea of 2 points. It could costs Chelsea a Champions League place and Rafa his job but, hey ho, we've all got something to talk about in the pub afterwards.

Apparently there was a biting incident in a world cup semi final between brazil and chile in 1962. the punishment was a symbolic reprimand, and Garrincha was allowed to play in the final.
Luis Suarez - the FA hide behind FIFA rules: Martin Samuel column | Mail Online

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Like with Roy Keane's foul on Haland, that was seen, acted on, punished, and then punished again a year later?

I might be wrong, but i think that was to do with his comments in his autobiograpghy, where he actually said it was deliberate. It was considered new evidence. Not sure that was the right decision though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
This comment from a Liverpool fan seems to explain it well:

"It’s clearly a disgrace, but the FA aren’t saying biting someone is worse than racism. They’re saying if you’re stupid enough to keep committing serious offences, we’ll simply ban you for longer each time.
The reason it’s 10 games is because he has failed to heed previous warnings as to his conduct."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not really as Evra, Welbeck or Defoe dont have previous history of racism or biting opposition players......

The racism was a totally different type of offence for which he received an excessive punishment in my eyes, and according to an Ex FA man offences in other countries cannot be taken into account in this country so he does not have a previous about biting either.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
I would say that racism is worse than two different bites. I'm not saying that the ten game is too long, I think the 8 game ban for Suarez was too short.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The FA have the right to extend any standard ban in "exceptional circumstances". They've done it before, even when the ref HAS seen the incident and apparently "dealt" with it.

Prosecution cites the case of Ben Thatcher, then of Manchester City, who received only a yellow card for a full-on running forearm-smash on Pedro Mendes or Portsmouth, which resulted in Mendes being hospitalised with concussion. After reviewing the incident, the FA imposed an 8 match ban on Thatcher, with 15 more suspended.

Basically they can do whatever they want, if the mood takes them. The bindippers will just have to suck on it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The FA have the right to extend any standard ban in "exceptional circumstances". They've done it before, even when the ref HAS seen the incident and apparently "dealt" with it.

Prosecution cites the case of Ben Thatcher, then of Manchester City, who received only a yellow card for a full-on running forearm-smash on Pedro Mendes or Portsmouth, which resulted in Mendes being hospitalised with concussion. After reviewing the incident, the FA imposed an 8 match ban on Thatcher, with 15 more suspended.

Basically they can do whatever they want, if the mood takes them. The bindippers will just have to suck on it.

I wonder what witty protest they will perform.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Fellani headbutted Ryan Shawcross 3 times in the same game and got a 3 game ban.

I think this ban is on the harsh side, thought he would have got 5-7 games.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Suarez, is he going to end up as despicable as El Hadji Diouf? He's certainly giving it a go.

Total cock in my book!

steady...no one is as despicable as that horrible excuse for life. Imagine if an alien landed next to him and it thought we were all like that....unimaginable

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice to see the FA finally saying enough is enough. I'm glad that more serious bans are being handed out for ridiculous behaviour as this is the only sanction that actually affects players. Suarez is lucky to still have a job, what a prize bell end he is...(sorry Gus)

This

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The rule is that if it is dealt with in play then you can't add another punishment afterwards. I agree that it needs to be looked at, but still not sure why you mentioned him being black.
Only because the post I was replying to was comparing it to racism. I wasn't being serious.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
There's something wrong with the whole system. A tackle that could end a player's career gets a straight red card and 3 game ban. I find Ivanovic's reaction pathetic. Either he showed great self control or the bite didn't hurt because the first thing he did was cry to the referee, most people would have decked Suarez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here