spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thank god Solly March is back soon

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I can't fathom the criticism of Skalak if I'm honest. It appears NSC demands wingers have pace when actually that's only half the story,

Skalak reads the game well, has an excellent range of passes, moves into dangerous areas (often freeing up space for Baldock/Hemed/No.10) and can deliver the ball on a sixpence. He could be swinging in crosses and corners for Dunk/Duffy/Hemed/Murray this season. That makes him far more dangerous than Lua Lua IMO..

And that isn't to say Lua Lua is bad, far from it, but he isn't the player of seasons past. He'll bring the ball to a stop and knock it past the defender. That coupled with a vicious shot can make him dangerous but he doesn't offer the consistent threat or all round quality that Skalak possesses.

Disagree, think skalak has been really poor so far this season.

Give Kaz or Murphy a run.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would rest Skalak v Brentford but replace him with Murphy, unless we can buy Leadbitter from Middlesbro before Wednesday.
There is always the possibility that March may be ready for selection.

Leadbitter, zero chance

March won't be back until very late September/ early October.. he's way off match fitness

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Must disagree I dont think that he was a weak link I thought our weakness was Sidwell and his linking up with Kayal which was non existant and I was disappointed with Bruno.
Hey BG I agree!
Lost the midfield today, sidwell poor.
Bong played ok, and was not the week link.
Offered nothing up front

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As soon as Rosenior is back fit and starting at left-back I think the Skalak critics will be quietened, I can't remember people criticising him last season when that was the partnership down the left hand side.
I look forward to getting Rosenior back in place at LB too. Good football brain - should settle things down quite a bit.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As soon as Rosenior is back fit and starting at left-back I think the Skalak critics will be quietened, I can't remember people criticising him last season when that was the partnership down the left hand side.

It could be argued that our good start to last season was largely down to the good understanding between Bong and Kaz.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Skalak did not get the summer off due to Euro2016.
He also missed a chunk of pre-season.
He needs resting.with game time from the bench.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
TBH, with BG here. Bong was IMO a whole lot better than last week, still only a 5/6 but was 2 at Reading. Sometimes you just have to let players back into the team and accept some bad performances in interim. Doubt that Jason Roy will be dropped after today....
Agree...
Bong was bad at reading and improved massively especially in the 2nd half....biggest problems are skalak and sidwell as don't see them offering much and they seriously weaken our attacking intent.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Agree...
Bong was bad at reading and improved massively especially in the 2nd half....biggest problems are skalak and sidwell as don't see them offering much and they seriously weaken our attacking intent.
Pretty much this.
Skalak is in the team in the off-chance we get a dead ball situation that he can exploit; he offers precious little otherwise. A luxury that th Championship is unlikely to reward perseverance with...
Sidwell has to be our 4th choice.CM, so why on earth did he play for so long today? Bizarre given the strength we had sitting on the bench...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Must disagree I dont think that he was a weak link I thought our weakness was Sidwell and his linking up with Kayal which was non existant and I was disappointed with Bruno.

Sums it up perfectly. I hardly noticed Sidwell was on the pitch. Compare this to last season with Stephens and that illustrates the problem we have in midfield. I'm hoping Chris can re-create a dominant and creative central midfield. Good point about Bruno as well as he was in one of his careless moods. I'm sure in his case just a blip. Bong started poorly but had a better second half.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone does. Skalak is poor very poor. Hughton plays him thinking he'll supply the crosses for Murray to score. He needs benching because he offers nothing.

Did you just use 'bench' as a verb? You should be sead for that (as in 'get in the') :lolol::bigwave:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really, he spent most of the game walking either side of the half way line. Everytime he made a bit of effort he had his hands on his knees puffing for air.

Agree with this. Thought he was very poor and very disinterested at Oxford. If anyone should start ahead of Skalak it should be Murphy. Once March is fit, the perennial player with potential that is KLL can go.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not on the base of an enthusiastic twenty minutes. I'm not sure about Skalak though. I don't think he should start.

Well that just leaves us with Murphy then, and I don't think he should start either.

I might be inclined to give the shirt to Kaz against Brentford and see how he gets on. Skalak and/or Murphy on the bench.

Maybe LuaLua has earned his chance after those two games in the EFL Cup, and his cameo performance yesterday.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
An ability to recognise what Skalak brings to our game (over Murphy and especially LuaLua) is a strong indication of the separation that exists amongst us, of those that fully comprehend and appreciate what we're watching and those that will only ever observe football on a very base level. Look a little harder, it's there to see why Hughton rates him.

A fully fit Solly, a different matter. I cannot wait for Hughton to alternate Solly and Skalak depending on what's needed from one game to the next.

LuaLua has always been an extremely selfish, greedy player and he has been well and truly found out. Can't cross, dives too much, badly, (Skalak could give him a master class) doesn't track back and defend, never 100% fit. Yet in his head he thinks he's AK. Moody, stroppy. Not for me thanks. Used to beat a man, (and not a lot else) now he can't even do that.

All that said, him and Bong definitely had it going on. They really worked for each other(?) clearly good buddies. I hope Solly and Bong can develop the same by the end of the season, because Bong and Skalak may never have it, even when Bong gets back to 100%. (He's not even half way yet, but getting there slowly.)

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I can't fathom the criticism of Skalak if I'm honest. It appears NSC demands wingers have pace when actually that's only half the story,

Skalak reads the game well, has an excellent range of passes, moves into dangerous areas (often freeing up space for Baldock/Hemed/No.10) and can deliver the ball on a sixpence. He could be swinging in crosses and corners for Dunk/Duffy/Hemed/Murray this season. That makes him far more dangerous than Lua Lua IMO..

And that isn't to say Lua Lua is bad, far from it, but he isn't the player of seasons past. He'll bring the ball to a stop and knock it past the defender. That coupled with a vicious shot can make him dangerous but he doesn't offer the consistent threat or all round quality that Skalak possesses.

Skalak does nothing away from home , luxury player , we need to play with 3 central midfield if he starts , or just play him at home , can play lua lua who would do a better job away from home ,or play Murphy away from home

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
A bit off topic concerning KLL but I'm sure I saw him first half in the away end, even mentioned it to the bloke in front me that he should be in the squad. Next thing he is part of the half time warm and next on as a sub.
Did I imagine it that KLL was in away end during the first half with about six of his mates ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here