Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LuaLua

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think he should start. He will have to earn a starting place though. He is likely to be usurped by the new players unless he refines his game a little. I thought he did very well against Charlton and made the equaliser. I thought his run at the end of the Forest game away when he made the goal by the right decision to pass out wide to Macca who crossed for Ulloa was very good. The right decision when the temptation might have been to find Ulloa straight away. His acceleration and change of direction are invaluable. Good player if used properly and not only as an inverted winger out wide.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Indeed. Don't get me wrong Kaz is a very exciting player to watch at times and I wouldn't want him leaving but to say he is one of the best finishers at the club is comical. I don't think I've ever seen him place a shot with precision in 3/4 years here, not that stands out anyway... He just obliterates the ball 90% of the time. He's certainly not a natural finisher.
He had better play when we take on Wolves. Left footer and right footer and the nearest to Peter Ward we have got. Play him nearer the opposition goal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why is he in the squad then? Denying other players a chance of a full run out..

This is a bizarre question. HKFC has given a convincing explanation about how to use KLL. You respond by asking why is he in the squad. The answer to your question is because he's a great player and, more particularly, an impact player. Squads contain about 24 players, supplemented by youngsters, vying for 14 match-day places. These 14 places rotate throughout the season depending on form, fitness, injuries, availability, density of matches, and so on. In most games, HKFC is saying that he thinks KLL should come on from the bench. I'd agree with him on this, and even say that he should come off the bench early, after about an hour (as he has regularly done). This suggests that KLL is not just a vital member of the squad, but of the first 14.
Which brings me to your second point: provided you don't get injuries to your defenders and goalkeeper, the three substitutes that you want to bring on are attacking players, and it is that (correct) logic that denies no fewer than six players from getting the chance of a full run out.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
But if he starts, everyone is equally fresh, and so the impact of his stand out pace is minimised. He actually tires quicker than most, so he's effective only in bursts from the start, then next to useless by half time.

Bring him on against a flagging defence and he wreaks total havoc.

Its a no brainer.

Agree with nearly all of this except I don't think the "stand out pace" is there anymore. In the third tier at Withdean, every time he had the ball he'd explode down the wing with it and leave defenders for dead.

Nowadays he seems reluctant to use sheer pace to beat defenders - to my eyes he prefers the step overs and trying to wrong foot opponents with varying degrees of success and on a lot of occasions the momentum of the attack is lost because of this - often he ends up turning 180 degrees and playing the ball backwards/sideways in these scenarios.

Might be a combination of better defenders/injuries taking their toll but he's not looked in the same league (literally) as when he first arrived but still worth having as an impact sub

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Nowadays he seems reluctant to use sheer pace to beat defenders - to my eyes he prefers the step overs and trying to wrong foot opponents with varying degrees of success and on a lot of occasions the momentum of the attack is lost because of this - often he ends up turning 180 degrees and playing the ball backwards/sideways in these scenarios.

To be fair he probably gets a bit sick of being chopped to the ground when he embarrasses the opposing full-back. I know he makes a meal of some of those challenges, but they must bloody hurt!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Such a key player that's underestimated by many on here IMO. Should do all we can to pen him to a new long term deal...

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
For the 487th time, he's only better from the bench because he's played on the wing then. Whenever he's been started it's been in central midfield where he's not as effective. Why can't people see this?

because he started on the wing for Gus and Oscar with little effect

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
No he bloomin' didn't! The few times he started on the wing he was excellent.

always enjoyed watching Lua Lua
but he only started for Gus and Oscar as a wide attacking player in there 451 come 433
and he has not got a good scoring or assist record in the championship
does win a lot of corners and free kicks
my heart loves him my head says he will never quite make it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tonight sums up Lua Lua starting for me. Championship Super Sub, or League One starter.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The most frustrating player we've had in many a year. Clearly has so much going for him as a footballer but his focus and concentration are questionable. For what its worth i think he works better on instinct when he doesn't have to think! When he comes on as sub he's obviously been given the raison d'etre to run at them, that's when he's dangerous. He's not a tactical or intelligent footballer for me.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
because he started on the wing for Gus and Oscar with little effect

We were heading for lower mid table last year when Garcia saw the light eventually and started playing LuLu from the start, ON THE WING resulting in W, W, D, D and all of a sudden we're in the playoffs. Garcia was stupid enough to think this made him a good manager so he dropped him.
What happened next we went behind, what happened next LuLu came on & we drew a game we could have won
Garcia dropped him again and we lost. clever guy
It disgusts me that fans cannot remember this contribution, and think it was Garcia that
got in the playoffs, when he was going nowhere by ignoring LuLu most of the season
What disgusts me even more is that A guy can come in, SH, and with only one losing season as a coach under his belt think he is clever enough to change a winning tactic, LuLu, on the wing, and make him look inept and get the fans to criticise when it is solely the Managers positional ignorance causing LuLu to underperform. As for Jones, did he actually watch any games last year and observe LuLu's best position. If Jones can't help the new guy what use is he at all, or was is His idea to play him centrally. Either way the judgement of both SH & NJ is being shown to be completely lacking in tactical nous. How they both got jobs with us as L platers is beyond belief

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
We were heading for lower mid table last year when Garcia saw the light eventually and started playing LuLu from the start, ON THE WING resulting in W, W, D, D and all of a sudden we're in the playoffs. Garcia was stupid enough to think this made him a good manager so he dropped him.
What happened next we went behind, what happened next LuLu came on & we drew a game we could have won
It disgusts me that fans cannot remember this contribution, and think it was Garcia that
got in the playoffs, when he was going nowhere by ignoring LuLu most of the season
What disgusts me even more is that A guy can come in, SH, and with only one losing season as a coach under his belt think he is clever enough to change a winning tactic, LuLu, on the wing, and make him look inept and get the fans to criticise when it is solely the Managers positional ignorance causing LuLu to underperform. As for Jones, did he actually watch any games last year and observe LuLu's best position. If Jones can't help the new guy what use is he at all, or was is His idea to play him centrally. Either way the judgement of both SH & NJ is being shown to be completely lacking in tactical nous. How they both got jobs with us as L platers is beyond belief

Strange post. So Garcia was stupid and Hyypia/Jones don't deserve a job at BHA because they're "L Platers"??

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Lulu_2240895b.jpg ???

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Really don't like seeing him in that inside forward role.
He is a winger, play him on the wing. Let him take the full back on or cut inside when the chance arises.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here