Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lualua - more than a super-sub?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"Lualua - more than a super-sub?"

No. That's EXACTLY what he is. For whatever reason, he is FAR more effective coming off the bench than when he starts.

We could do with getting him on a bit earlier though, if things are not working. 55 minutes, rather than 75.

Me too. He was also found out a bit against Hull indicating he'd struggle at the higher level - better defenders didn't fall for his tricks and were more able to match his pace. Can't remember him beating anyone in either game like he does week in/week out off the bench. When he has started, he's looked completely bushed after an hour too.

Walker_this_way

Oct 18, 2011
Oh have we signed another Buckley.

After all many on this board, although they won't admit it now, I add parenthetically, wanted to drive him to Selhurst, Sunderland, anywhere, for the price of a tank of petrol, just 6 weeks ago.

Completely agree with this! When Buckley is on form he is brilliant, one of the best in the team, but he tends to drift off during games and just look lax and not willing to make the move down the line.

As for the Lualua comment above it I think it's pretty clear he's not happy only played 20 minutes on selected weeks. Just because we like him being an impact sub doesn't mean he likes it. I agree that he probably can't go for 90 minutes but why not start him, use his pace and get the game won early rather than trying to get a late winner most of the time.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Wrong. He is superb when being used as a sub and coming off the bench to change a game, but in other games where he has started he's be woeful. I agree we could do with getting him on earlier in games, but im much prefer Buckley or March in the starting 11.

His main asset is his explosive pace to beat the full-back, which cant be maintained for 90 mins.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Of the two I would sooner that given a choice we would keep Buckley as I believe that he offers a lot more than Lua Lua who does not produce the goods if started. If Lua Lua is adamant let him go but he is a good back up /sub for us, so we should try to keep him and Buckley.

In the unlikely event of us going up, neither would be good enough.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I worry that if Oscar only uses Kaz for 20 minutes every now and then, depending on whether he is 'needed', then he will be tempted to leave us in the summer.

I have the same feeling as the OP that he might be off in search of first team football. T'is a shame.

You can put your minds at rest. Although LuaLua's contract expires at the end of the season, the club has an option to extend it. If they so desire, he won't be going anywhere.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can you jog our failing memories with some of them then?

I seem to remember he started and was cracking in a couple of games towards the end of last season, possibly Ipswich and Palace at home? He hasn't had many starts this season but when he has I don't think he's been particularly worse than anyone else in the side.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Me too. He was also found out a bit against Hull indicating he'd struggle at the higher level - better defenders didn't fall for his tricks and were more able to match his pace. Can't remember him beating anyone in either game like he does week in/week out off the bench. When he has started, he's looked completely bushed after an hour too.

He was our only decent player at Anfield

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
He's had plenty of good games where he's started, people just have selective memories.

I don't recall many times when he's started that he's been great and has faded out rather quickly and have always said and still stand by it that he's a brilliant impact player. Problem playing him from the start is the opposition suss him out and nullify him quickly whereas when he comes on in the latter stages the opposition can't deal with him and he's a match winner. I like to look at Lua Lua as our secret weapon as when he comes on the their defenders shit it :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe occasionally we could attack for 45 minutes, score a couple and pull him off at HT with the game won?

Ah now you have hit upon the reason we are getting our knickers in a twist.

It would appear we no longer try to win games early.

Oscar backs our defense not to concede.
In an ideal world we nick a goal, within an hour.
As the opposition attack us, Oscar makes attacking substitution.
Either exploiting the space.
Or pushing them back so we're defending from the front.

T'is a brave new world.

The only flaw at the moment would be the Albion not being ready for a team that doesn't want to attack, for the full 90 minutes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can you jog our failing memories with some of them then?

Palace at home, Wolves at home and Watford at home (all last year). I've not seen any of the games he's started this year.

Get the feeling he was out of favour with the management for a couple of weeks for some reason. To be dropped from the squad completely for the game v Milwall was odd.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Palace at home, Wolves at home and Watford at home (all last year). I've not seen any of the games he's started this year.

Get the feeling he was out of favour with the management for a couple of weeks for some reason. To be dropped from the squad completely for the game v Milwall was odd.

LuaLua has been dealing with a left knee tendon injury since the first week of pre-season. It affects his training; sometimes he is fine, and sometimes he cannot train due to the pain. I think any absence is far more likely due to this ongoing injury, than down to falling out with the management.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
LuaLua has been dealing with a left knee tendon injury since the first week of pre-season. It affects his training; sometimes he is fine, and sometimes he cannot train due to the pain. I think any absence is far more likely due to this ongoing injury, than down to falling out with the management.

The tweet that he quickly deleted seemed to indicate that he felt fit enough for that game.

He's a fantastic talent and been our most effective winger this season, opposition managers have highlighted his role. I'm pretty sure he's unhappy being treated as a bit part player and I think he'll have a few choices of other clubs when it comes to his next contract.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As much as I love the fella, and scream like a little girl when he's on the ball.

3 assists and no goals, would imply he's very lucky to even have the super moniker and not just be, substitute KLL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here