Lua Lua Season Long Loan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This thread is like one long emotional rollercoaster for a player I initially didn't care much for but now hope we get due to a lack of exciting alternatives.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It is a pitty, but with things as they are, and time running out, it looks like it is time to move on! We should only bother with him if we can buy him, or at least get him for the whole season. He is too raw to waste time with for a couple of months.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
This thread is like one long emotional rollercoaster for a player I initially didn't care much for but now hope we get due to a lack of exciting alternatives.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. This summer looks to be devoid of any exciting transfer news.

I am not saying those that we have got will not "do a job", but they are hardly going to get the crowds in are they?

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
I tend to agree Porky. 250k spent only. No chance of promotion when teams like Saints and Uddersfield are spending big.They already have decents squads.
Don't forget Posh either. Boyd,McClean,CMS,McCann etc.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
From Newcastle's main site:

Reserves Head For The Heed

A strong Newcastle second-string heads to the International Stadium to take on Gateshead tonight (kick-off 7.30) in what will be Peter Beardsley's first game as Reserve Team Manager.

Included in the squad are Ryan Donaldson, Kazenga LuaLua, Nile Ranger and Haris Vuckic, all of whom have first-team experience in competitive games for the club, as well as Joan Edmundsson and Brad Inman who have figured for the first-team in pre-season.

The full squad is:

Jak Alnwick
Sammy Ameobi
Ryan Donaldson
Paul Dummett
Joan Edmundsson
Matthew Grieve
Jeff Henderson
Bradden Inman
Dennis Knight
Kazenga LuaLua
Greg McDermott
Conor Newton
Alex Nicholson
Patrick Nzuzi
Nile Ranger
Ben Robinson
Dan Taylor
Haris Vuckic

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I tend to agree Porky. 250k spent only. No chance of promotion when teams like Saints and Uddersfield are spending big.They already have decents squads.
Don't forget Posh either. Boyd,McClean,CMS,McCann etc.

I think we are in the plus in terms of money in, Crofts went for 300k reportably. Can't really grumble though when your chairmans paying 250k a week for construction of a new stadium.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
I think we are in the plus in terms of money in, Crofts went for 300k reportebly. Can't really grumble though when your chairmanship paying 250k a week for construction of a new stadium.

Then he shouldn't say he wants promotion without spending.Bloom said wait untill kick off when we will assemble a decent squad. It's not good enough at the moment to trouble the top 6.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought it was common knowledge from months ago that if Lua Lua did come here it would be after completing pre-season with Newcastle, or did I make that up?

So, why should we be moving on or looking elsewhere if this is still quite possibly the case?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I am not saying those that we have got will not "do a job", but they are hardly going to get the crowds in are they?

well they will if we go on a winning streak and/or are up the top end of the table! you dont always need a Big Name to get success ya know :thumbsup:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I thought it was common knowledge from months ago that if Lua Lua did come here it would be after completing pre-season with Newcastle, or did I make that up?

So, why should we be moving on or looking elsewhere if this is still quite possibly the case?

The Club are supposed to be in negotiations now Newcaste have had their chance to assess him. Playing the lad in a freindly against a bunch of non-league cloggers, and risking injury, is hardly a good sign. Is it?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
well they will if we go on a winning streak and/or are up the top end of the table! you dont always need a Big Name to get success ya know :thumbsup:

No, but you do need "heros" on the pitch to bring in the crowds. That is normally a striker, we have Murray who nobody like. Can you see my point?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Club are supposed to be in negotiations now Newcaste have had their chance to assess him. Playing the lad in a freindly against a bunch of non-league cloggers, and risking injury, is hardly a good sign. Is it?

We did it for two weeks until the Portugal trip so if we risk our 1st teamers you can hardly rail at Newcastle for risking reserves.. Lua Lua is a Newcastle player, they call the shots..end of. We are gonna have to be patient, not too long to wait now.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
No, but you do need "heros" on the pitch to bring in the crowds. That is normally a striker, we have Murray who nobody like. Can you see my point?

I see your point but I dont agree with it, besides whose to say we dont already have that Hero at the club now? lets come back to this around Xmas time :lolol:

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I see your point but I dont agree with it, besides whose to say we dont already have that Hero at the club now? lets come back to this around Xmas time :lolol:

Exactly! You could hardly say that Zamora was a big name after we'd signed him permenantly, yes he'd been succesful on loan but so was Barnes.......

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Maybe, but it looks like we are jumping the gun.

From the Argus site - just posted.

* By Brian Owen »

Gus Poyet is confident of welcoming Kazenga LuaLua back to Withdean.

But the Albion boss could have to wait until at least next week before securing the Newcastle winger for his second loan stint in Sussex.

Withdean regulars get their first look at Poyet’s new-look outfit when Mark McGhee brings his Aberdeen side south for a friendly tomorrow (3pm).

It is likely to be up to four signings short of the squad the Uruguayan plans to take into League One action.

LuaLua was a big hit during a stint with the Seagulls last term. He has been a target for Poyet ever since and is known to be keen to return in time for the season opener at Swindon.

Albion have ended their interest in former Millwall winger Filipe Morais, whose arrival on trial coincided with indications they were losing patience with Newcastle.

However, asked yesterday about the chances of bringing LuaLua back, the Albion boss said: “Better. I won’t say it’s close until it’s done but we are getting there. We have got a chance now. I’m confident. I was confident all the time.

“The problem is when you set up a pre-season we want as many players as possible as early as possible. We are one week from the start so of course, if you cannot get him early, you get him any time.

“Maybe we could have one (signing) today, tomorrow. If not, next week. If not, the first three or four games. Until the end of August we have got a chance so we are working on it.”

Poyet has already secured Ashley Barnes, Peter Brezovan, Marcos Painter and Inigo Calderon on longer term contracts after they shone on loan or short deals last season.

LuaLua’s return would be on a more temporary basis.

Poyet said: “It looks like it could be a loan more than anything. A season’s loan would be perfect."

Read the full story in The Argus today

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Murray is a hero for many already, imagine what he will be like if he has an injury/suspension free season and bangs in 20+ goals.

Likewise Bennett, Battipiedi, Baz, Sparrow etc etc. If this team is around the top six it will be full of heroes.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Then he shouldn't say he wants promotion without spending.Bloom said wait untill kick off when we will assemble a decent squad. It's not good enough at the moment to trouble the top 6.

I really can't understand the general negativity from some on here. As has been regularly mentioned, we get 38 points in the second half of last season which would have been good enough for 5th in that period. We have since only lost Crofts (who has been replaced) and Lua Lua (who is hopefully coming back) of the players who played in most of those games.

As for not signing good players, the only problem as far as I can see is that we have not spent ridiculous sums on them. Sparrow, Painter and Kishishev should all be great signings at this level but because they were signed on frees people don't regard them as good enough. We also have brought in Greer and Barnes who should be good signings and we don't know how good Poke, Battipiedi and Baz will be.

Overall, I think this squad will definitely be top 8 or 10 and has a very good chance of a play off place.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Gus Poyet is confident of welcoming Kazenga LuaLua back to Withdean.

But the Albion boss could have to wait until at least next week before securing the Newcastle winger for his second loan stint in Sussex.

Withdean regulars get their first look at Poyet’s new-look outfit when Mark McGhee brings his Aberdeen side south for a friendly tomorrow (3pm).

It is likely to be up to four signings short of the squad the Uruguayan plans to take into League One action.

LuaLua was a big hit during a stint with the Seagulls last term. He has been a target for Poyet ever since and is known to be keen to return in time for the season opener at Swindon.

Albion have ended their interest in former Millwall winger Filipe Morais, whose arrival on trial coincided with indications they were losing patience with Newcastle.

However, asked yesterday about the chances of bringing LuaLua back, the Albion boss said: “Better. I won’t say it’s close until it’s done but we are getting there. We have got a chance now. I’m confident. I was confident all the time.

“The problem is when you set up a pre-season we want as many players as possible as early as possible. We are one week from the start so of course, if you cannot get him early, you get him any time.

“Maybe we could have one (signing) today, tomorrow. If not, next week. If not, the first three or four games. Until the end of August we have got a chance so we are working on it.”

Poyet has already secured Ashley Barnes, Peter Brezovan, Marcos Painter and Inigo Calderon on longer term contracts after they shone on loan or short deals last season.

LuaLua’s return would be on a more temporary basis.

Poyet said: “It looks like it could be a loan more than anything. A season’s loan would be perfect."

Sounds good :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports