Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lua Lua, how could he become better?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Studs in his boots....swear he had slicks on yesterday, kept slipping over 1st half

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He has improved massively under Oscar and become a real all-round team player. Having added hard work to his game, I think he will go on to big things, hopefully with us. Always exciting to watch.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One major criticism of Poyet I think is that he didn't play him enough. I'm not sure he has 'improved' that much under OG - it's just that he's been given much more opportunity to show what he can do. Definitely our most exciting player and, like all of the squad, he could improve in certain areas (crossing being one - and sometimes he does fall over a little too easily). Can't understand the criticism that he doesn't tackle back though - he does, and he usually makes a decent job of it.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
He's been excellent when fit this season, although if he sometimes chose the more simple option when available, i.e. Short pass / not shoot from 25 yards, maybe this would be more effective for the team.

I would also like to see him use his blistering pace to run on to through balls a bit more, rather than having to come deep looking for the ball so often.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He needs a cross that is something other than hard and low.

He has a nice little dink cross that he's used a couple of times early in the season when Leo was playing. I think his crossing is better than many people think.

Very, very, very, very simple answer.

If he learnt to play with his head UP.

Yep. I think his pace is as good as ever. He's got smarter at making himself available for a pass. As I said, his crossing is improving. It's just that sometimes he keeps on trying to beat players when a little layoff or simple pass would be better. Get that and he is Prem class.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The difference is, under Gus he was tied to the left touchline. Under Oscar, he has licence to operate both wide AND more centrally - and he causes havoc. Running at defences, he can go inside or out and commits opposition defenders - I'd LOVE to know the stats on just how many oppo players have got booked having to deal with him. Very unpredictable, he's got a great shot on him, and he's far more involved in the build-up. Not only that, he does his share of tracking back and has proven to be a great outlet when we're under pressure. I think he's flourishing under Oscar. No not everything he tries comes off, but he's a terrific talent and with Buckleys demise is the ONLY player we currently have who has the pace to frighten the opposition.

I think he's having a great season.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The difference is, under Gus he was tied to the left touchline. Under Oscar, he has licence to operate both wide AND more centrally - and he causes havoc. Running at defences, he can go inside or out and commits opposition defenders - I'd LOVE to know the stats on just how many oppo players have got booked having to deal with him. Very unpredictable, he's got a great shot on him, and he's far more involved in the build-up. Not only that, he does his share of tracking back and has proven to be a great outlet when we're under pressure. I think he's flourishing under Oscar. No not everything he tries comes off, but he's a terrific talent and with Buckleys demise is the ONLY player we currently have who has the pace to frighten the opposition.

I think he's having a great season.

I'd love to know the stats for how many opposition players HAVEN'T been sent off or booked due to useless BALD refs :wozza:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Its very interesting that many on here see that he could improve his game in many areas and feel that he would become a better player with these improvements. The important areas I see are him staying totally focused during the game and not having his back to the play, giving the full back something to pass to instead of standing still waiting for the ball and being direct when he receives a ball in a one on one situation. We have seen over the past few weeks him in great positions to run on goal instead he either waits, runs towards the corner flag or shoots. I feel that he is a fantastic talent and has improved massively under Oscar but could be so much more valueable to the team and himself if he was more direct running on goal. If he is developed he could be sensational, I feel he should keep learning as in my eyes he is not the finished article that he could be.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Very, very, very, very simple answer.

If he learnt to play with his head UP.

Exactly this.. Currently he's brilliant at beating the full back, but once he's done that his only options are to shoot or bang in a low cross regardless of where other players may be. A quick look up before he makes the cross would see him be so much more productive with the ball.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I thought one of his best ever performances for us was Reading away at the start of this season. Played a very central role and ran the game for us, not just running at defenders but spreading passes about too, although he got injured soon after. Think this has become more common under Oscar, although not quite to the extent as against Reading. Would love to see him play that role again, though his pace down the wing is often invaluable. Great to see him in good from at the moment too, long may it continue.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The difference is, under Gus he was tied to the left touchline. Under Oscar, he has licence to operate both wide AND more centrally - and he causes havoc.

Mentioned that to a mate yesterday, he seemed to have almost been given a free role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here