Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lowest away attendance at the Amex

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Whilst it was shocking that a "local" club couldn't even muster 300, we didn't do so well last night either.

I believe attendance announced as 23K. Knock off the 10-12% that Barber adds on to inflate the attendance figure and we probably had less than 20K. But then if Barber wants £30+ for a Tuesday night, rearranged at short notice fixture against a meh club, then we aren't going to fill the Amex.

Said before and I'll say it again. It is better for the club, the team and the fans, to have bums on seats paying £15/£20 than empty seats at £30/£35.

Here's an interesting comparison. A junior ticket for last night (inc booking fee) was £16.50. Cost for same junior for travel and match ticket at MK Dons on Saturday? £12.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Reading's fine to get to and from by train. Used to go through it for some work trips where I would do Bristol and back on the same day because the choice between M25/M4 and A36 is like choosing to eat dog poo or cat poo for dinner.

That said £30 is a lot (note though that if we go up that will be the Premier League Cartel charge everywhere I would think given the minimum they agreed to) and the game was moved twice. I had to rearrange a work meeting and hope that my wife got back in on time last night to make it which luckily both worked out.

I know it's fun to have a pop at noddy Reading and their dreadful kit and silent fans and embarassing club song but I'd cut them a bit of slack for last night. Like others, though, I'd have expected more like 6-700.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Perhaps it was something to do with both the m4 and m25 being closed for planned roadworks for the return journey last night? Took the same route home as they would and didn't get in until 1am last night (left on final whistle) so that's best part 4hrs for them to get home! To READING! On a school night! Bloody nightmare journey to and from Amex for us Thames Valley Seagulls last night :( Had I known might have given it a miss too. So be nice to our Royal friends, it's a longer trip than it looks on a map!
110 miles back to Leighton Buzzard by 12.30pm..one lane motorways everywhere...only 8 miles to go for the Donkeys on Saturday though:drink:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
note though that if we go up that will be the Premier League Cartel charge everywhere I would think given the minimum they agreed to.

If we did get promoted...given this new away ticket price cap, plus the ram-raid on home fans' wallets that will no doubt ensue from the PLR one, I'm wondering if it'd be worth putting up with some pretty ropey company and pretending to be an away fan every week.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Whilst it was shocking that a "local" club couldn't even muster 300, we didn't do so well last night either.

I believe attendance announced as 23K. Knock off the 10-12% that Barber adds on to inflate the attendance figure and we probably had less than 20K. But then if Barber wants £30+ for a Tuesday night, rearranged at short notice fixture against a meh club, then we aren't going to fill the Amex.

Said before and I'll say it again. It is better for the club, the team and the fans, to have bums on seats paying £15/£20 than empty seats at £30/£35.

Here's an interesting comparison. A junior ticket for last night (inc booking fee) was £16.50. Cost for same junior for travel and match ticket at MK Dons on Saturday? £12.

Problem he has is this would have a knock on effect on season ticket sales. Why buy a season ticket if it's no cheaper...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Problem he has is this would have a knock on effect on season ticket sales. Why buy a season ticket if it's no cheaper...

Was it a Category A game? Assume it was carried over from the original dates if so as Reading on a Tuesday really isn't much of a draw as we saw. The answer is to do away with categories. Match by match we know where we stand and STHs still get a discount. Price it at an average across the bands.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Not everyone wants to buy a season ticket; there really are other things people do at the weekend apart from watching football, people have other commitments. Just because you don't want one, doesn't mean you deserve to get absolutely bumf**ked by the extortionate match-by-match ticket prices and the entirely random "match categories" etc etc.

Anyway, never mind going over this old well-worn old ground again: living proof of how well the club's pricing strategy amply proven courtesy of the yawning wide vistas of navy blue emptiness as we went second in the league last night.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I normally enjoy giving Reading stick, especially about pitch invasions, but in all honesty I think it’s disgraceful we were charging £32 for away tickets and I don’t blame them for not coming down.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
No amount of excuses can make up for that terrible away support.. 400/500 odd, fair enough but 299(no way 299 turned up) is just embarrassing.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
In defence, £30 for a nothing game (for us) on a short-notice rearranged week night and an awkward place to get to, almost guaranteed loss - not surprised at the low turnout. Our away followings have actually been decent this year, think we've taken 3500+ on more than a few occasions, which is good for Reading. *shrugs*

Best of luck for the rest of the season!

Why is it akward to get to? I manage to drive past Reading EVERY home game.....sounds like a feeble excuse to me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The M4 is shite and the M25 is shite and no doubt The brighton traffic is shite on weekday evenings...Still a shit away following though.

Yep, and nigh on impossible to get back to Reading by public transport post match too.

But as you rightly say, sub 300 really isn't a very good showing at all.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Why is it akward to get to? I manage to drive past Reading EVERY home game.....sounds like a feeble excuse to me.

I, and a few other have already answered why it was awkward to get to last night... I'm not talking in general terms, I'm saying last night.

FTR, my friend didn't get back from the match until 2:30am last night.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Not sure if i should post here but it saves posting a new thread . Who thought Hull City's 15K attendance last night was pee poor !!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not sure if i should post here but it saves posting a new thread . Who thought Hull City's 15K attendance last night was pee poor !!

Do they report actual attendance? Doubt there were many more than that at the Amex last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here